“Lovely”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Dodleston
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Take an off the beaten track location in Dodleston, a menu bursting with fresh seasonal dishes and a cellar full of real ales and fine wines and you have the ingredients for the perfect country pub and restaurant. It's a winning formula of traditional mixed with a few contemporary touches that makes The Red Lion a special place to visit.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Lovely little local pub, great staff and great customers. Love the food, delicious. Will be back before we head home to NZ!

General Manager A, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Wow, NZ :) that's great, you can spread the word over there and we may see some of your friends when they visit! Thanks for you custom and we'll see you before you leave.
Kind regards

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This was a Friday lunchtime catch up with a friend,and she suggested here for a change. She had visited a few weeks ago with colleagues.
No sparkling water and waitress didn’t know or had a suggestion for a non alcoholic drink.
Anyway we ordered ... my friend the apple and parsnip soup and I ordered the prawn and lobster cocktail..... followed by the fish pie and Wagyu burger.
The soup was a little thick and had an awful after taste,really bitter.This was pointed out to the waitress at the end.The prawn and lobster cocktail was prawns and a few flakes of lobster (looked more like crab to me ) and a tiny amount of sauce.
My friend seemed happy enough with her fish pie.The Wagyu burger was juicy and the chips were ok.
Nothing on the sweet menu hit me ,so as my friend had the hot drink and dessert on her last visit so I plumped for the same. Treacle and pecan tart for my friend which she enjoyed and an Eton mess for me.
My friend enjoyed her extra hot latte and I was very disappointed with an awful espresso.
Nice location in the village and good outside seating.
Seemed popular,but not for me.

We are disappointed to hear that you did not have a more positive experience with us at The Red Lion, Dodleston. It is a shame as your friend seemed to have a much better experience. The menu choice is preference and unfortunately we cannot cater for everyone. Thanks for taking the time to send a review and we hope you enjoy your day.
Regards
Team Red

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Mr Jones surprised me by taking me here early one Saturday evening. Hadn’t booked but got a table straight away. Food was really tasty. I’m really fussy but there was several meals I would like to try - very unusual. Great Service too. We will be back soon

Hi Diane, thank you for your kind words and this wonderful review! Mr Jones definately has good taste and brought you to our wonderful pub. Did you try any of our puddings? I can strongly recommend the raspberry milkshake cheesecake. We do hope to see you again soon and look forward to your next review.
Many thanks

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Went on Friday evening with my wife and two friends . We have been there on several occasions and got a table straight away. This time we booked and waited 30 minutes to sit down. Service was quite efficient . Food came and was very nice apart from both rib-eye steaks being a bit chewy. The rest of the food was fine. I must give a big shout out to our waitress CLAIRE i wish we had here on other visits. Nothing was too much trouble. If not for her the rating would be three. Every time we go there the food is fine but the service lets them down but not this time. Perhaps they need to employ more like Claire.

General Manager A, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Gareth, thank you for your kind review; we are happy to pass along your comments to the team here (especially Claire) at The Red Lion, Dodleston!
Hope to see you again soon.
Team Red

Reviewed 10 June 2018

The Red Lion is only a short drive outside of Chester but could be 100's of miles away. it is a lovely village inn with a sunny beer garden. food and drinks always good. .

Hi, thank you so much for your positive comments about The Red Lion, Dodleston! It is truly all that you have said. Beautiful pub in a beautiful location.
Kind regards