All reviews bar area underground parking staff are very friendly and helpful metro station la piscine stayed for one night university lille midway corridor euro
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We have stayed in this hotel for three nights in Jan 2012. It is in a very good location - close to both the tram and metro stations. We went to Lille (took us approxi 25 mins on the tram from the hotel) for a day, which was very nice despite the weather (rained pretty much non-stop). We didnt eat in the hotel as the menu simply didnt take our fancy. However it looked very busy throughout our stay there. The parking is good and secure, only sets you back 5 euro per night and has plenty of spaces. The staff there speak good English - very friendly and helpful. As suggested by a fellow tripadvisor reviewer we requested to stay on the top floor with a lovely view (facing the University). The room got a nice view but you could hear the traffic. Mind you after a night or so we kinda get used to it (its not that noisy really). The bed is comfy and the shower is good. The only problem is as keen tea / coffee drinkers we were a bit disappointed as there is no kettle in our room. Nevertheless we really enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I recently stayed here overnight with a group of friends. It is extremely conveniently located approximately 100 metres away from the Euroteleport tram & Metro stops. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly, and spoke good English, despite our best efforts at destroying their own language!

It looked like quite a new building both outside and in. Reception was quite spacious and very clean. Indeed, this was much the case for the rest of the hotel. Checking in was very quick and easy, and we were handed our room keys within 2 minutes of arrival.

We had 3 rooms in total (1 room each) which all happened to be on the top (6th) floor. One of our group was in a corner room above the main entrance, whilst I was 2 rooms away, with the 3rd member of our group being next door to me with a connecting door between our rooms. The view from the rooms was quite good, of the rooftops and university opposite. The corner room was even better, it was an irregular shape, but had 2 windows on different walls so the views were more varied.

My room was very clean. Unlike a recent visit to another Ibis, there were plenty of spare pillows in the cupboard (they must have known I was coming!). There was plenty of storage space in the room, as well as a full height mirror, colour TV and 2 power sockets. The bed was very comfortable and gave an excellent nights sleep. Soundproofing was very good, with very little noise coming in from the corridor.

The bathroom was quite good, although not quite to the same standard as the rest of the room. The hair dryer was quite close to the door, so when I bumped into it half asleep during a 3am visit to the bathroom, I knocked the hose out of the holder which switched it on. There was a 230V power socket midway between this and the wash basin. The toilet for some reason was wedged tight up against the wall, despite there being plenty of space to shift it several inches into the room. I don't know why it wasn't fitted like this instead, or even at an angle facing into the room. The shower was good, with reasonable pressure and good temperature control.

The biggest negative with the bathroom was what I observed on several walls. Two of the shower walls and the one directly opposite the toilet had approximately a dozen curly human hairs stuck and dried to them. I have absolutely no idea how they got there, and I probably don't want to! Quite gross and disappointing.

We didn't eat in the restaurant, although we did use the bar area for a few drinks because the centre of Lille was prohibitively expensive to drink in, and Roubaix town centre seemed to shut down at 8pm on a Saturday evening. Drinks were still expensive compared to UK prices, but cheaper than Lille centre. Again, staff were friendly and efficient.

There is a locked left luggage cupboard in reception, which is currently free of charge. The receptionist was happy to unlock it so we could store our bags for several hours whilst popping back into town for the afternoon.

Apart from the dissatisfaction of the rogue hairs on the bathroom walls, this is an excellent well run hotel and will definitely be my first choice when I next visit the area. I would actually go so far as saying this is probably the best Ibis I've stayed in to date.

Room Tip: If possible, try and get a room on the top floor. If available, ask for the corner room (directly over the main entrance), which has an interesting shape and an extra window to the street.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 October 2011

This was my 53rd Ibis hotel and an excellent choice. I wanted a short break across the Channel, just to be in France, eat and drink well, and do some shopping.
Roubaix's location appealed - 75 miles from Calais, a small town within the Lille conurbation, but with its own cultural identity .
The Ibis hotel was ideally located, with the main square just around the corner, and the outstanding art gallery, La Piscine a 10 minute walk. 2 large retail outlets and a shopping mall across the road, alongside the Metro station for easy access to Lille city centre.
Finding the hotel in the complex of roads wa surprisingly easy - the hotel is programmable on satnav and is clearly and continuously signposted from the outer ring road. The hotel's underground car park (€5 per day) was easily spotted , with immediate access. Reception was among the friendliest I've known. Room was usual Ibis standard - i.e all you want for a comfortable short break at a bargain price. Dining area attractively laid out, with a large party eating there in the evening, though I always prefer to eat out in the square if the weather's fine. Excellent breakfast service, cleaning staff cheerful and helpful - they went out of their way to get our room ready when we arrived before midday. Nice hotel, nice town - and definitely on my map for future motoring holidays. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2011

We have just spent 3 nights at this hotel, as part of a tour group using it as our base from where we visited WW1 battlefields and cemeteries.
The hotel service was excellent, they pride themselves on a response to a request within 15 minutes and that was certainly our experience. There are plenty of other eateries around but we chose to eat in the hotel bisteo, excellent service from Adrien, and the food was very good. Breakfast was selfservice but there was plenty of choice.
We would definitley stay there again. Also, if you like shopping there is a MacArthur Glen shopping outlet nearby or you can hop on the tram (automated not manned and remember to get your ticket stamped before arrival at your destination).

Room Tip: The hotel has six floors and only 1 lift.
  • Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank allibea
Reviewed 31 May 2009

I stayed in Roubaix since I could not find a room in Lille due to an important exhibition. The IBIS was not my first choice .... :

PRO:
- transportation really close by, tram and underground a few minutes away
- underground parking convenient, reasonably ample but be careful since you may pass the entrance without noticing it ...
- room was fairly quiet mine was not refurbished ... no flat screen TV ... furniture same as in old IBIS, bathroom very compact, bathtube good only for a kid and a small one that is ... to be used only as a shower ....
- staff mostly pleasant and efficient

CON:
- elevator extremely slow, only one ... in the morning can take ages
- food at the restaurant expensive for what it is and really not good, cook not pleasant nor professional, FORGET
- I skipped the breakfast which I took in a café nearby , so can not comment

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business