“James”
Review of La Vieille Auberge

La Vieille Auberge
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: On the island, 1/2 way up the main walkway on the right hand side.
Reviewed 19 September 2018

visited this "restaurant for lunch. Decided in the 3 course set meal. ordered drinks ,small bear and glass of vine. the drinks arrived and the waiter took our order. when he delivered the first course i asked if we could have some water with our meal, we finished the first course of salad which was ok. as he cleared the plates i again asked him for water. he brought the main course i again asked for water ,no response. My man i course of duck was ok but my wife had ordered a steak.. again the plates were cleared and again i asked for water ,none arrived. i then asked another waitress for water and it was delivered straight away. We had been in the restaurant for 1 hr and 20 minutes and there was no sign of the dessert being delivered , after this i lost patience. I went to speak to the manager who was operating the till. I told him that I was fed up of waiting ad was not going to wait any longer for dessert. I explained what had happened and the waiter was there ,he apologised for the delay. The manger printed out a till receipt for the full cost of the set menu but offered the drinks free. I told him that I was not paying for desserts that we had not received se stated that I could take them with me, After some shouting on my part I gave him the till receipt back and told him I was not paying the full cost of the meal. He the offered to serve me the desserts at the table. By this time I had enough of him and I agreed to pay for 1 meal and the drinks. When we had left the restaurant my wife informed me that her stead was cold, but she did not want to cause any more fuss. It seem as though the restaurant is run by a Chines owners. My advice stay away

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank layton1837

Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

When you consider where you are and how old your surroundings are it is amazing. We spent the night and our room had a great view of the bay, beautiful. The room itself was pretty bare bones, but we didn't worry over just one night. Had a good lunch in their restaurant with outside seating. The staff was nice, and we would stay there again. Beware: Just getting up to the hotel is a haul, up hill, over cobblestones. To get to our "room with a view", we climbed a lot of stone steps. Overall, worth it. It is definitely worth staying overnight on the island.

Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

Fair enough when you visit a touristy place like MSM you know that the risk of crappy service is real. Do i need to say more? Pity as location is great. For us; no new try!

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank Antwerp_traveller69
Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

Drinks overpriced, kitchen closed super early and broken tables. Not the best for a super busy place like this.

1  Thank edoardor695
Reviewed 8 August 2018

It is a few steps outside of the abbey and the food was not good. Tourist spot for people who just want something to eat quickly. The seafood pasta and mussels were below average and cold. Disgusting.

2  Thank CGin23