All reviews course dinner fairy tale rhine river unique experience nooks and crannies your luggage auf schoenburg wine tour small balcony once in a lifetime modern amenities hotel experience decanter of sherry four poster bed fit for a king gourmet dinner highlight of our trip
Reviewed 23 October 2017

This is a late review - I think I was there in spring of 2016. I found this hotel with an available room on Trip Advisor on the way to Germany. It had good reviews, but I was worried that the accommodations might not be comfortable (I'm maybe a tad "princess and the pea" whiny about beds) due to its age but oh, my heavens, was it ever wonderful! I mean that - this amazing castle hotel just MADE the trip to Germany for me. I could't decide whether to just loll about soaking up the ambiance or get up and out to explore. I literally would have been so happy to have just stayed in the hotel all day. Have you EVER said that about a hotel??? Me either!

By the way - the food was just simply delicious here - breakfast was the best I have ever had in a hotel. Period. (I swear someone is in the back churning out fresh fruit jams/confits constantly and they put it out in these beautiful huge bowls and you can turn a warm flaky croissant swimming in raspberry or strawberry confit/jam into an out of body experience and then they have the most delicious coffees to wash it down and the whole thing is just too beautiful for mere words.)

The location of this hotel was just perfect for an easy day cruise up and down the Rhine - the double decker cruise boat would dock right there! So, for the tiniest little bit of money (I don't know exactly how much because I just fanned out what Euros I had and they kind of just took what they needed and it really didn't seem like very much - hahaha), they let you on these amazing boats that float up and down the Rhine and you can pop on and off going to the other little almost medieval towns and the whole experience was just like a dream. I pretty much ran around like Ellie Mae Clampet with my mouth hung open and could not believe I was in such a wonderful place and then - THEN! - you get to go back to your CASTLE to spend the night and get ready for tomorrow's fresh jam! Lordy.... You have just GOT to go there!

I feel honored to have the opportunity to travel to such a wonderful location and then to stay in this castle - well, it is just about too much to ask. I've recommended this magical hotel to everyone I've talked to - so it's your turn: spread the word!

Date of stay: November 2016
2  Thank KellyBelle007
Reviewed 16 October 2017

This is the castle hotel experience that makes one feel like royalty, from the entrance reception, to the rooms, dining, and service. Situated on a hill, or burg, overlooking the Rhein River, this must be the one that the river cruises photograph the most.

My room, #20, had a small balcony overlooking the Rhein, and it was appropriately furnished for a castle and full of all the amenities one would want in a room, and even more, including a CD player with CDs. While the room was terrific, it was hard not to spend time in the library – full of books – with its welcoming fire place. After dinner, I would sit here by the fireplace, a good book, and a glass of Cognac, thinking, or play acting like I was the lord of the castle.

There are at least three dining rooms, and all are also appropriately furnished and decorated as a castle should be, or at least as one thinks they might/should be. The rooms come with half-pension, typically with a prix fixe 4-course meal, but choosing a la’ carte is also an option.

The first evening I could not handle the 4-course dinner, so I just had the Salmon-pike-perch terrine with chive sauce and orange-celery salad as an appetizer, and this was, for me, an unusual salmon presentation, but the mixture of flavors made it a delight. The main dish was the Roasted breast of pheasant with savoy cabbage, morel cream sauce and bohemian dumplings, which was another very pleasant presentation, but I found the pheasant to be a little on the dry and tough side, with little flavor. I admit to liking and eating a lot of game on these trips to Germany, but it has been a long time since I last had pheasant, so maybe this was ‘normal’.

On the second evening I decided on the 4-course menu, substituting a mixed garden salad for the 1st course prawns (allergy). The rest included:
• Sorrel cream soup with roasted almonds
• Stew of lamb and white cabbage with thyme and straw potato
• Chilled plum soup with homemade Riesling ice-cream

All extremely well presented, but the flavors were missing; the previous castle hotel restaurant had set the bar quite high with regards to flavors, and the Schönburg Castle just did not make it, in that sense.

The service here is about standard – nothing exceptional – with more than enough wait staff on hand to provide service, but maybe the excess wait staff takes away the personal experience of dining.

The castle grounds and the castle itself are fantastic and they are well visited by tourists.

If you want a true castle (hotel) experience, this is the place to stay.

Room tip: You definitely want a Rhein River view, and try for a balcony
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 14 October 2017

I`ve never been in castles before but this visit changed my life!
There is perfect hotel with ancient spirit inside. Old narrow corridors in the towers can take you back to the Middle Ages. In elegant badroom you can feel like a royal person because of authentic german style of decorations. This feeling is complemented by a free decanter of excellent wine in your room)
Delicious breakfast deserves a special praise. A lot of exceptional food can surprise everyone!
I really recommend this place and wish be there next year!

Room tip: Exceptional breakfast
Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2017

What a treat to stay in a castle. We stayed for 1 night after a day trip to Mainz and it was unbelievable!! I would love to come back and stay longer. We stayed in Room 29, which has a large balcony with excellent views. Upon our arrival, our room had complementary fresh fruit and a decanter with sherry. Dinner and breakfast were delightful! If you are staying one night and want to enjoy the views, try to get there before sunset on the day you arrive -- there was heavy fog in the morning (sounds like it's pretty typical) and we didn't get to enjoy the views much before our 12p train. Also, the hotel is up a very steep road and there are not taxis readily available at the small train station, so we walked to the information center and they were able to call a taxi for us. The hotel coordinated a taxi back down to the train station in the morning.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

This is definitely a magical place to stay.
- Note: the hotel/ castle is broken up into 2 different parts owned by 2 different entities. So if you want to take a tour of the other section. It will cost a small amount. My wife and I didn’t do this so I don’t have any feedback. But the hotel was enough for me.
- Note: October is a great month to see the fall color and this is the time they are picking grapes.
- The staff is very accommodating and went above and beyond the job. They also speak good English.
- The room: We stayed in room 23. The elevator only goes to the 3rd floor and this room is on the 5th floor. It is the highest hotel room at the hotel. Pretty much 360 degree view of the surrounding Rhine river,and vineyards (weingut). Great room!
- The town: it is very quaint. They have a town wall that you can walk, ruins, and churches and a lot of viewpoints for good photos.
- Food: Dinner was absolutely delicious. Again the staff was very accommodating because my wife doesn’t eat meat.
- Wine tour: this was very fun and made my wife’s day: my wife is a wine enthusiast and enjoyed taking a ride through the vineyards and having wine process explained. Wine tasting was delicious and could not pick which one was my favorite.
I recommend this place. Very good spot for a special occasion.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple