“Great lunch”

The White Hart
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Newenden
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: A traditional village inn situated in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

We went for a great dog walk and ended up in this pub. The dog was allowed in away from the main dining which was great. It was a very welcoming pub and good pub menu. We both had starters (scotch egg and Brie) which were good. A great value pub and we will be back. There is also a huge beer garden for the summer. Great find

Date of visit: November 2017
2  Thank r2dd
Ivan G, Owner at The White Hart, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2017

Thank you for your review, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

Went to the White Hart for a midweek lunch. Service was good, beer was good as was the food. Excellent place for lunch. Friendly atmosphere and the open fire was lit.
We both enjoyed it

2  Thank JulesM336
Ivan G, Owner at The White Hart, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Lovely to hear you enjoyed your visit and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 8 October 2017

Lovely old pub with open log fire. Although main eating area is dog free, there is a place set aside indoors where you can enjoy their amazing home cooked food, accompanied by your four-legged friends.Quality and quantity, so make sure you are hungry. Good selection of beers on tap. Reasonably priced . Set in beautiful Kent village, but very close to East Sussex border, less than half a mile.

2  Thank Sian248
Ivan G, Owner at The White Hart, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Thank you for your glowing review! Hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

We went to the pub for a Saturday night meal whilst staying at the local campsite. The pub is well located for the site (a 5-minute walk), though you have a walk along the grass verge alongside the road to get there.

We had booked in advance and they kindly let us bring our table forward when we called on the day.

Sadly, the food on the night was a real disappointment, especially given the cost.

I ordered a sirloin steak, rare. I received a piece of rump steak, well done, which had clearly been frozen in advance. The cost was £18.95 and on the bill, I was charged an extra £2.50 for garlic butter. Given the cost, the quality I'm afraid to say was not there.

My daughter had a pizza - again expensive at £9. The base was barely cooked.

My son had ham, egg and chips which was fine, but again too expensive at £10. My husband's sea bass was the best of the main meals we ordered.

The desserts the children ordered were of good quality however and apparently very tasty.

The house wine was also expensive at £18/bottle and again, the wine we were initially bought was not what we ordered. I do appreciate our waiter was new though, but that does not account for poorly cooked main dishes.

Perhaps this was a one-off and there were issues in the kitchen on the night, but
on the basis of our visit I would not visit here again if in the area.

Date of visit: September 2017
1  Thank Glessing_Lane
Ivan G, Owner at The White Hart, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

I am disappointed to read your review and question why none of your complaints were brought to our attention on the night when we would have dealt with them immediately? With regard to the steak, we do not have rump steak on the premises and I can assure you our steak is not frozen, in fact we have a fresh meat delivery daily from a top quality local butcher. If the Sirloin Steak you were served (with mushroom, tomato, homemade onion rings and chunky chips) was not cooked to your liking then that should have been brought to our attention and we would have happily put that right. Ham, Egg and Chips, as you quite rightly say, is £9.95 for which we serve 3 very generous slices of delicious honey roasted ham (we roast ham joints on the premises), with 2 free range eggs, a very decent portion of proper chunky chips and homemade relish. Our house wines are excellent quality and competitively priced (and are £16 per bottle). As I mentioned, had you brought your complaints to our attention at the time, we would have done our utmost to put them right.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Stays open until 7 Sunday evenings so popped in with children for early dinner. Excellent roast meal for me and fish and chips for kids - best I have had locally. Friendly staff, cosy room. And for my wife who had planned to come but had to stay home to get some work done they did a takeaway of veggie fajitas which she rated as awesome. Top marks - will be back again soon!!

1  Thank Jonathan d

Thank you for your glowing review and glad the takeaway hit the spot, the fajitas are a new addition to the menu (we offer chicken fajitas too) and in the restaurant are served on sizzler dishes. Thanks again for your review and hope to welcome you all back again soon.