“Great coffee in a pleasant, relaxed setting”
Review of Kafe Koala

Kafe Koala
Price range: US$6 - US$13
Cuisines: Australian, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Stop at Kafe Koala as you enjoy traveling around the Great Ocean Road. Visit Kennett River and enjoy the natural surroundings of Australian wildlife. See the Koalas close by (sometimes they wander into the shop) feed the King Parrots (yes they will eat out of your hand, bird seed available) or just enjoy the bush surrounds next to the beach. Drop into Kafe Koala for: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner or just a snack or refreshment. Great coffee, juice and drinks, award winning pies and pasties, home made cakes and biscuits, fresh salads and sides, ice cream etc... We have it all. A trip down the Great Ocean Road just isn't the same without stopping at Kennett River, pop in and say g'day.
Reviewed 28 May 2022

Stopped in here for coffee and hoping to spy a koala. Coffees were great, as was the seating area out front in the sunshine. Lots of snack options and friendly service .. and we saw some koalas! (directly across the road on a street full of gum trees)

Date of visit: May 2022
Write a reviewReviews (155)

Reviewed 13 February 2022

Was recommended to me on the drive from Geelong to Apollo Bay and did not disappoint. All sandwiches etc are made that morning by the owner and are fantastic. Also the young chap behind the counter is so friendly and gives tips on where to see the koalas in the wild nearby. A high light stop....

Date of visit: February 2022
Reviewed 14 August 2021

We were told there is t much inbetween towns so we were a bit stuck at Kennet river with this really only being the place to choose to grab food from. This is really more of a convenience stop more than anything.

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed 9 May 2021

We visited Kafe Koala while cycling the great ocean road. The cafe had a great relaxed vibe and I was blown away by some of the unique and delicious homemade offerings.
On sundays the owner sells homemade beignets, which are like french donuts. They were soft, light and fluffy and had a wonderful subtle flavour of orange running through the.. they were seriously addictive!
My partner had a bacon and egg roll, and I tried the spinach and cheese borek. Both were really tasty too. I wish I tried the homemade sausage rolls because they looked really good!
I found the service to have been very friendly and prompt. This was a real gem in our travels.

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed 5 April 2021

A spare of the moment trip down Great Ocean Rd with plans to eat at my favourite pub on outskirts of Lorne completely failed with it being as packed a Sunday market. We continued on with other failed attempts to find food for lunch. Finally we came to Kennett River and found Kafe Koala. First impressions were not the greatest. No disabled parking for mum to manage. So I parked illegally alongside the grassed area. We went in and fish and chips was what we thought our best option. $10 for flathead or blue grenadier. Large box of chips $18. We were starving and ordered 3 pieces flathead, large chips and 4 potato cakes. They also had homemade french donuts so we grabbed 4 to start us off and i must say we were not disappointed at all :) . Finally got the order and we weren't expecting it to be much when you take a look at how busy they were and being a bit out of the way we suspect they don't get much business so thought it would be ordinary but at least something. We drove off to find a nice spot to stop and eat. Mum took the foil off to cool them down. I looked at the meal and OMG 9 pieces flathead. A box full of chips and potato cakes in a completely separate bag. I reached for a chip and again OMG, to my surprise they were the absolute BEST chips ever. Once I started I couldn't stop. The kids absolutely loved them too. Finally got to stop and eat and I have to say they were a MASSIVE 10/10. Could they improve on the service side of things? YES. Could it be cleaned up a bit? YES. We used the toilets and I have to say they were impeccably CLEAN. Also had a soap dispenser with made it better. A portable type of set up but very impressed with their cleanliness considering the amount of tourists using them. In saying that, it is usually the tourists who make toilets dirty to start with and not the cafe' owners. Weill we return? YES. Do I recommend? YES. Are they cheap? NO. But if the food is that great, who cares about the cost. Great value for money. Yes it was quite expensive but when it is that good, it is worth the price. I gave an average score for service as it is something that could definitely be improved on, but in saying that they were VERY BUSY and that would be a bit unsettling for them.

Date of visit: April 2021