“This is not a butterfly farm”

Kipandi Butterfly Farm
Ranked #2 of 3 things to do in Tambunan
Reviewed 26 August 2017

This was a place that I have been wanting to visit as I enjoy shooting macro photography. After reading the reviews, I was not too sure if this is a butterfly farm per se. Anyway, we did make a trip there. At the gate, I asked the ticket seller if there are butterflies, his response turned me away. He told me it was a nature farm with some butterflies.

All reviews
"nature"
"park"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 3 February 2017

The butterfly park is a interesting stop on the road from Penampang to Tambunan. The Sabah authorities seem to make an effort in lining this road with tourist attractions. Further towards Tanbunan is a Rafflesia center and a Botanical garden is under construction. The butterfly park is functioning already several years. It is pleasant to walk around -take your insect repellent along- the site. Estimate an hour or so. Lot of orchids along the track. You can walk inside large "aviary" for butterflies.

Reviewed 7 December 2016

It is a pleasant about 1 hour drive from Kota Kinabalu into some beautiful mountain ranges. When we got to the gate we were informed, that unfortunately due to recent weather conditions there was very few butterflies. We received a reduced price. I went with my elderly parents from Switzerland who love plants. They loved all the interesting flours and especially the nearly invisible, tiny native orchids. I love pitcher plants and there were many to be seen at the end of the trail. The guide did a fantastic job pointing out and showing all the plants. Yes, there were very few life butterflies at that time but it was still one of our best trips and well worth the visit. If you love to look at nature and some exotic tropical plants, you will enjoy it even if it is not season for the butterflies.

1  Thank naturelover222
Reviewed 4 September 2016 via mobile

Took almost 1 hour drive from Kota Kinabalu. Visit here in August and it is not the good time of the year to see butterflies. According to the staff here, the perfect time os in January to April, before noon. Anyway, we paid RM10/pax to enter and spent 1 hour there, looking at the flowers and spot few butterflies. The Insect Museum is a worth to see. This place can be improved and need maintanance to be more attractive. Otherwise, we do had a nice time.

1  Thank Nooraishah S
See more reviews
Reviewed 17 August 2016 via mobile

Spent about 90mins here. Was rm10 to get in and kids were free. There is a nice room of all the insects that probably at one time been in the park. Hard to imagine all the different kinds of bugs you can see. Nice short walk on the butterfly path although not too many butterflies there are lots of flowers around. If you keep heading down you get some small treks off the path which has some more flowers. Great for photographer's. Even my kids of 4 and 7 really enjoyed themselves. Not too many staff around but when we did see someone they was happy to answers out questions in English and Malay.

1  Thank hedger9uk