4 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
PricelineUS$1,390
Agoda.comUS$1,390
Trip.comUS$1,390
Destinia.com
All reviews ocean view plunge pool amazing views food options high end many times ceviche night stay five star turtle release our honeymoon punta mita without hesitation get away unique experience outdoor bathtub bug spray
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

amazing time with the wife for a five day getaway. the property itself truly provides a relaxing/recovery atmosphere. we stayed in the tree house suite 137 (highly recommend 136-138) because they are at the end of the property and provide privacy and excellent views. Ask for carlos to be your butler he was amazing.

Date of stay: October 2021
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 24 October 2021 via mobile

This was the best hotel/resort stay we have ever had. Our 5 days at the One & Only Mandarina felt like 10. The rural and isolated setting, high on the tropical forested cliffs above the Pacific, brings a natural and immediate sense of peace and contentment. The design of the property and facilities is exquisitely understated, permitting you to intimately experience nature. The site planning and architecture are incredibly well thought out and everywhere you look there is a sense of gentle purpose and welcoming intention. We were so impressed with how the designs of nature have been allowed to take the lead yet yield effortlessly to the beautifully unique structures of the resort.

Our stay was shared between an Ocean Cliff Villa and the larger Villa Banderas. Both were lovely places to nest. Elegant, natural, welcoming and so very comfortable. The beds and linens were of outstanding quality and provided for excellent sleep. The views from the beds were a signature attraction all to themselves. The indoor and outdoor showers combined with the oversized soaking tub make you want to bathe several times per day.

The villa pools are the perfect temperature and we never heard any of the pumps. In fact, you hear very little here other than the animals, wind and surf down the cliffs.

The property is many buildings connected by manicured paths lined with stone, beautiful plants and massive trees and palms. Quiet electric carts take you wherever you need to go. Each villa is assigned a pair of butlers who work as a team during your stay. Ours were the outstanding pair of Jorge and Pablo. As we arrived, they introduced themselves and set up a WhatsApp chat group for the two of us and the two of them. The property has its own high speed Internet tower and it worked very well. Our butlers were always responsive, professional, charming and so very hospitable.

We had wonderful meals in each of the restaurants and were so impressed. The settings, menus, flowers, quality, views and diverse flavors were such a treat to experience. And of course all the staff in every venue were warm and welcoming. Of particular note was the General Manager’s constant presence around the property. He was always helping staff and guests with any request, smiling and making everyone feel at home. He even took the time to talk with us on the beach which we truly appreciated—an excellent example of leadership.

The beach is absolutely beautiful and protected by the curved Jetty. On the last night of our stay we were invited to release sea turtles into the ocean. The turtle rescue volunteers were very knowledgeable and answered many questions. It was the perfect end to a dream getaway.

Every moment here was a rich experience and we hope to be fortunate enough to return some day. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay with you so very special. You have our heartfelt gratitude.

Date of stay: October 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank LeBois
Reviewed 24 October 2021

Rooms are very nice ..except for the massive brown jungle spider and other critters in room. Didn't sleep well after first night thinking others could be around.. They should sweep the room before guests arrive to see if there's creatures in there.. I know it's in the jungle but dam that spider was BIG. Brothers room had scorpion in shower..Have to Plan your trips to beach breakfast dinner etc. Because they have to pick you up in cart. So if you are very scheduled person on vacation not an issue for you..Had to walk a few times because no one showed up.. they get busy..pool and beach service just average or slow usually had to wait for someone to come over
LoUD buzzer Alarm went off in room no reason on last night 400am for 30min very disturbing and after a late night not cool . No apologies or credits given for this very shock you out of bed moment. So summary is I've stayed at many of this caliber of resort usually they are very concerned about your stay given the name and price point...not here. Won't be returning here. Weather was hot and super humid in October sweating through shirts and staff also soaked through clothes daily. Couldn't use pool on my balcony because the water was so hot.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2021

I'm a luxury wedding photographer and travel writer, and I will start off this review by saying I never visit a resort twice - because I want to see as many places as possible. But this resort HITS ALL MY WANTS to keep returning. And we are picky travelers. I’ve included professional photos I’ve taken of my stay on here as well.

From the moment you set foot on the property - to the moment you leave - you will be floored by every aspect of your experience. I am in no way paid to write about properties, nor am I an affiliate of any. I book and stay at luxury hotels for either my own leisure, or for when I’m photographing weddings at them for clients.

One&Only Mandarina is basically bringing Bali to Mexico. Or Costa Rica. Take the most amazing, protected rainforest with the tallest tree canopy, and place an Indonesian-inspired resort of villas and treehouses within it. It took 12 years for them to build, and it’s only been open a year. It feels like it’s been there in an established jungle for a decade with the most amazing wildlife, architecture and staff I’ve ever seen.

Our first stay was Feb of 2021 for our baby moon. We just returned from our second stay yesterday, this time taking our 5 month old daughter which we were pregnant with on our first visit!

Rooms:
1st stay: Panoramic Tree house #324 - BEST VIEW, top of the hill
2nd stay: 2 bedroom Villa Banderas #226 - also amazing! Huge pool and the best amenities
You can’t go wrong with any room category here

Service:
The best I’ve ever experienced. The hosts (butlers) are impeccable (we had Angel and Wendy - we loved them!), catering to your every need, 24 hrs a day. Really doesn’t get better than this - anywhere. You use WhatsApp to text them for anything and everything. The staff on the whole property is 5 star. Everywhere.

Pools:
Amazing architecture. Clean and always had chairs available for us on both stays. The cabanas are great! Jorge at the Alma pool was the best waiter!

Beach:
Calm and clean. Warm and very inviting. Having the 3rd pool at the beach level is so nice too! Great for kids and people of all ages, even those that have difficulties walking. My senior mother has knee issues and she was fine accessing everywhere. The massive cliff surrounding the beach is gorgeous. Super photo worthy location!

Food:
They are known for their cuisine, and it shows. The reviews on here that mention poor food are crazy. My husband and I are foodies and we never ate anything we wouldn’t order again. Pricing is fair and expected for the high quality. The drinks are spot on and also nicely priced. Try the T&T margarita at Alma - you won’t be disappointed.
Our Faves:
Carao: the charred avocado and the octopus starters!
Alma: the homemade ragu pasta and the Mechaca eggs at breakfast is a must order (its not on the menu!)
Jetty: the ceviche we ate everyday

Getting around:
they have buggies that take you everywhere and are very quick to get you. Just call your butler and they are there in minutes. You can also walk if you feel adventurous.

KIDS:
THIS is a big one for us and for me to review. We traveled with our 5 month old baby, and the service and amenities we received were INSANE. The nicest wooden crib with high end sheets/pillow, full bathroom needs for the baby (infant tub, baby robe, brand name soaps for her, and a baby cap to take home!) and a diaper genie. Crazy amazing service. This alone was mind blowing. If you are traveling with an infant/child…this is the place to go.

Babysitter service:
for those interested, we used their onsite childcare and Roxanne was awesome. She texted us photos and videos while we were away and her English was perfect as well, aside from her knowing exactly how to handle our baby. I will request her again when we return for a 3rd time.

The only thing I wish we would’ve changed was extending our stay both times. Each time we did 4 nights. Next time it will be more.

We just returned from here yesterday, and I’m ready to book our next stay already. We can’t get enough of this place!!

Room tip: 1st stay: Panoramic Tree house #324 - BEST VIEW, top of the hill 2nd stay: 2 bedroom Villa Banderas #226 - also amazing! Huge pool
Reviewed 23 October 2021

1000% exceptional place to visit. Very unique design; excellent service, very private, stunning display of nature and architecture. For context, I have stayed at many 5 star resorts, (One & Only Palmilla, Las Ventanas, Esperanza, many 4 Seasons, etc.) This property is equal to or better than all of them. The construction is mind boggling. If you like nature, but still want luxury, privacy and services, restaurants, comforts, etc., i don't know of any place in the world short of Bali, Bora Bora, or the Seychelles that compares. Easy flight from U.S. You are met at airport by Mercedes and beverages. The drive is not bad, and once there, you are pampered. If there is a downside it would be for those who love to get "off property" and explore neighboring villages, towns, etc. Other that Punta Mita, and Puerto Vallarta, there's not much of that. But you really don't want to leave this place. If you want to "get away", relax, be private, have your own pool, have food options and a spa and breathtaking nature, this should be high on your list. I did not see any kids, which is good. Too many dump parents bring little ones to places like this, which can bother everyone else....never understood why they do that...dumb! If you run into one of those types that are too attached to their 2 year old, there is a very cool adult pool area, in addition to other areas to escape to. There are 2 beach clubs both excellent in design and vibe. They have unique activities as well. Water is not Caribbean like, but still enjoyable, stunning mountain views. Highly recommend for a couple's getaway. To the dummies: "First, examine your marriage if you really want to bring any kid under 16 to a place like this. Second, if you must, bring your kids to Disney or Atlantis, leave the couples alone" (At least they do have a nice and separate kids club)

Room tip: You can get ocean view or jungle. Don't shy from jungle, still very cool.
Date of stay: August 2021