“Lunch time visit”

Price range: US$12 - US$20
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Derwentwater Arms is a warm & friendly Pub / Restaurant set high in the village of Calver it has great views of the surounding peaks and edges.It is set back from the main road in the 'old' village, a real hidden gem.
Reviewed 13 December 2017

Have passed through Calver, near Baslow many times but had never been to the Derwentwater Arms until recommended by the Outdoor retailer Regatta in Calver, so gave it a try.
We were not disappointed. Warm welcome and good wholesome home produced food and locally sourced vegetables. Several cosy dining areas to choose from.
N.B. Access to the Derwentwater Arms is up some rather steep steps from the large car park opposite. It may be possible to access the pub higher up the road.

1  Thank Philip T
Kyk2010, Owner at Derwentwater Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2017

Good morning, thank you for your lovely review - it is fantastic to hear that local businesses are also promoting us! Thank you to them too! WL
We are a local pub that serves excellent quality homemade food - something GWR are so proud of. I am glad that our staff were friendly (there's nothing eorsr than a grumpy bar person) and that you enjoyed your visit.
You are quite right we do have access to the rear of the pub where there is a small carpark - but everyone please note that is is also for residential use too for the houses that are nestled around us. We suggest that you either walk from the main carpark up the road (lowside) and enter from the back door, if you have an able party member to drop off at the back entrance and then park your car in the main carpark. Obviously if you need to use the rear carpark your more than welcome! I hope this helps. Thank you for your kind review. Kat

Reviewed 10 December 2017

As I have been critical in the past, not about the food, but about the ambience, I feel that I need to do another review, as things have improved. Firstly, the flooring has been replaced and, even though we were in the conservatory, we were warm enough.

Generally I have had no issue with the food, it is generally fine. However, this time I would say it was particularly good. I, after much thought, decided to have the roast turkey dinner. I don't usually go for this, as sometimes this can be quite dry, but just fancied a typical Christmas dinner. Well, I was very pleasantly surprised, two large slices of tender turkey breast, beautifully freshly cooked and not at all dry, plus all the usual trimmings. My OH had his favourite steak pie and our friends had a pizza and the special, slow cooked breast of lamb - all meals were excellent and very reasonable.

So good to see things back on track and would thoroughly recommend The Derwentwater Arms

1  Thank SheffieldPip

Hello and thank you for writing your lovely review..we have certainly been working hard at the Derwent upgrading areas that needed work - like the floors, tables etc over the past year..
With the temperatures plumiting this week the heating has been on constantly - we tread a fine line in heating the pub.. The bar and the snug are the warmest areas we have have and the sunroom is often cooler. When we have a busy period we do have to turn off the heating for the customers in the other 2 rooms otherwise everyone over heats.
I am glad you enjoyed your food during your latest visit. Everything is freshly made on site by my husband Tom - trying to keep seasonal specials alongside pub favouriates like the steak and ale pie!
Thank you for your praise - it is lovely to hear such a fantastic review embrasing the changes we have made. Keep your eyes peeled for more stuble changes that we have pkabened for 2018! Many thanks Kat.

Reviewed 29 November 2017

What a gem.of a pub, lovely setting in pretty village not far from Chatsworth House. The barmaid and landlady were warm welcoming, as were the locals ! The menu was varied, separate pizza menu. But the Pie!!! Oh my goodness, could not fault the pastry , light, great texture, tasted Devine and full of tender steak, no fat or nasty bits. Served with lovely fresh veg and superb proper chips. I would travel miles for that pie:) great atmosphere, wish I had room for dessert. Highly recommend this delightful place. My husband also bought a sublime home made huge pork pie to take away which kept him happy for a couple of lunches

1  Thank michelledavies1066
Kyk2010, Owner at Derwentwater Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

Hello - thank you for your kind words and thoughtful reviews. We are so lucky for our location - set in the heart of some amazing tourist attractions of the peak - Chatsworth, Bakewell, Longshaw and Curbar Edge (and a stones throw away from Hassop Station too!) We are glad you enjoyed our pie! We are quiet infamous for them - they are packed full of meat with our delicious homemade pasty to encase them - my mouth is watering replying back to you.
You will never find frozen vegetables here - that would be sacriligious in our book! Fresh is King - and the name of the game - it is fantastic to hear you agree with this too!
I am glad you enjoyed a wedge of my husbands pork pies - they are another key bow to our arrow - and is a quickly developing part of our business. I am very proud of Tom and his pie making talents.
We are very lucky and thankful we have such amazing locals! Thank you for your kind words once again. Kat

Reviewed 27 November 2017

We stayed for a week in a holiday cottage in the village a few months back. As the Derwentwater Arms was only around 50 yards away we thought we should give it a try on day one. Finished up going back most nights.
Most of the people who come through the door are greeted by first names by both the staff and other customers. A good sign for a local. What was so refreshing was that strangers such as ourselves were also made very welcome. If you want to sit quietly in the corner as some visitors did then that's fine but you will be missing out on meeting some lovely friendly people on both sides of the bar.
Well kept ales and nice wine. As for the food it's superb. The homemade pizzas are the best my wife and I have had anywhere and that includes in Italy and we tried quite a few!
Being back in the area for the day last week we just had to make a detour for tea at the Derwentwater. Got chatting to some of the locals we had met in June. Just like meeting up with old friends.
Dog friendly with a jar of biscuits on the bar for them plus water bowls.
Real ale, real food, real people.
Easily rates six out of five.

1  Thank PEKLincoln
Kyk2010, Owner at Derwentwater Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2017

Hello- thank you for your stunning review - we are gob smacked at your fantastic praise! I am glad that you enjoy our delicious pizzas (I certainly do too). We use local suppliers for both food and drinks - John Hattersly's wine's are delightful and Jolly's puddings cannot be beaten. We are proud of everything at the Derwentwater from our staff, food to our amazing locals (by the way- a massive thank you to all our wonderful locals - we couldn't don't without you.) Thank you so much for your amazing review. Kat Keogh

Reviewed 7 November 2017

My wife and I decided to check The Derwent Arms at Calver out as we had picked up that the management team were really trying to turn the place around. We were not disappointed with either the ambience, friendly and helpful staff or the superb home cooked food. The steak pie was delicious. Well worth a visit. Well done Kat and the team. Follow them on Facebook, there are loads of events etc going on.

Kyk2010, Owner at Derwentwater Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2017

Good Evening - thank you for your fantastic review! We are glad that you have tried us and enjoyed your visit. There is no denying the pub had a turbulent patch last year when we were away - but as you stated in your review we are back and have the peddle to the metal to get this pub really roaring. We love our home cooked food using local produce and are so proud of our staff (Thank you to you all - you are amazing.) I am glad you follow us on facebook - we try and help promote other local events and businesses through it as well as occasionally suggesting walks around the area to help celebrate the natural beauty that we live in. Thank you so much for your review and we hope to see you again in the near future. Kat