“An inner city "must"”

Must Winebar
Ranked #4 of 26 Restaurants in Highgate
Price range: US$30 - US$68
Cuisines: International
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 March 2015

This place is trendy, posh, popular and chic. At night the restaurant has nice dim lighting and really gives an atmosphere. Even with groups of people dining, you can still enjoy a romantic dinner. I love the beef ribs on a bed of creamy mash. Will return again for it.

1  Thank Aj C

Reviewed 8 March 2015

We went there for a birthday celebration on a quiet Tuesday night. The restaurant was not busy, but it still took 30 minutes before our orders were taken and then another 40 minutes before we received our meals. One of our party is a vegan and we were assured before we made the booking that the restaurant could cater for him. It took a long 15 minute consultation with our friend to determine the meal.

When our meals arrived, 2 of the 4 steaks were dry and tough, despite being cooked medium rare and all 4 serves of our crab and angel hair pasta were soggy with over cooked pasta which was not angel hair, and lots of cream with not too much crab. This dish used to be their signature dish which I have enjoyed many times at Must. The vegan meal was a tablespoon of quinoa, some baby spinach finished off with a dob of pureed pumpkin the size of a 50 cent piece - at a cost of $28!!

We had a birthday cake and 15 minutes after we had sung happy birthday and the candles had been blown, the wait staff managed to appear with slices of cake on plates for which they charged us cakage.

Must Winebar touts itself as a premier restaurant in Perth and at $45 a main course, it should deliver the goods both in service and quality of meals. It seems that Russell Blaike has taken his eye of the kitchen at Must. The food and the service were inexcusably and atrociously bad, and it appeared that the wait staff knew it too because when we were leaving, they bade us goodnight but stopped short of asking us how we enjoyed our evening.

Would I go back?? A resounding NO!! And I would not recommend it to anyone who enjoys good food and good service.

Russell B, General Manager at Must Winebar, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2015

Dear Ann K,
My team is surprised by your review and wish to defend the business and correct the record on some issues you have raised.
In regards to the timing you suggested, we do not agree that your party waited 70 minutes to be served your meal.
We acknowledge that comment was made regarding two of the steaks, and immediately offered replacements which were refused, a second offer for replacements was turned down.The steaks were consumed.
We apologise that the vegan meal was not suitable, our waitperson spent considerable time at the table to check on your party and nothing was mentioned to him when checking on meals.
I have personally telephoned the customer who booked your table and was part of your group on the evening, who reported that the issues raised were well dealt with by my waitstaff on the night, is surprised by your review, and does not agree with the comment "the food and the service were inexcusably and atrociously bad".
We work extremely hard to ensure our customers get the best possible food, service and experience at Must, we are sorry that you will not return.
Regards,
Russell Blaikie

Reviewed 18 February 2015

A return visit to the Must Wine Bar for an anniversary celebration lived up to our previous experience. Great food and a very good atmosphere. The restaurant is adjacent to a busy bar area consequently the noise level in the restaurant is loud, but I think this just adds to the vibe with the added bonus being the people sitting at the next table can't hear every word of your conversation. Possibly not the best restaurant choice if you want an intimate dinner.

The Must staff are friendly and efficient, the welcome was good and drink service prompt and of course great wine list and experienced drinks staff on hand to help with your selection. The only minor flaw was service progressively dropped off during the course of our visit.

On this night the oysters were sensational, fresh and plump, the daily special octopus entree was good without being memorable, mains lamb and beef both really well presented and tasty with a terrific chocolate dessert to finish. Coffee seemed a bit of an after thought and could have been hotter.

Overall a visit to Must is a terrific way to spend Saturday night, the only downside is the Mt Lawley location as parking can be difficult to find so ladies prepare for a walk and wear comfortable shoes or take a taxi.

2  Thank Terrence S
Reviewed 17 February 2015

With Valentine's Day just a few days ago, I had another anniversary of sorts and what better way to spend an anniversary than sharing a meal, something to wash it down with and some good conversation. With having the special occasion having fallen on a Monday there weren't too many options available but by no means did our experience feel like we'd taken a consolation prize. Far from it.

As per the usual with a big occasion planned, there goes the obligatory fasting prior to dining and by the time I arrived, I was absolutely starving, so much so when our host for the night asked if we'd like to have a few drinks at the bar prior to seating at our table, I immediately confessed that I'd driven a little faster than normal and that we'd arrived early in the hope we'd get in before the rush. With that she sat us both down and promptly brought us some crusty baguette with butter to snack on.

It's funny how sometimes I'll judge a place by the "simple" things like the bread and fries served, in that with something so small, it can be the attention to detail with such items that are considered simple, that can make such a difference to the overall experience and if the bread was anything to go by, the anticipation for the other dishes was immense.

Entree was a serving of the Chick Pea Batter Oysters, Chicken Liver Parfait and Slow Roasted Pork Belly. The parfait was served with a delicate brioche and Riesling jelly and was flawless and I'd go to say the best parfait, I've had to date and the oysters were of the same ilk with a crispy, crunchy, crust and beautifully cooked oyster within and served with an guacamole like salsa with avocado, tomato and onion. These too were world class oysters but my girlfriend thought that the salsa didn't compliment the oysters and although I enjoyed the salsa and it complimented the oysters, I could have possibly gone without. The pork belly was lovely too and served with a silky cauliflower cream and seared Exmouth scallops. Another impressive dish that was hard to fault. The pork was succulent and was readily cut with a fork and a very well blended dish but I'm not exactly sure what happened with the crackle, in that it appeared that the skin had been removed and then the fat seared and crisped up. It was still very good but I'd have expected the crackle have been a smidge better.

For mains we had Sirloin Steak with Pomme Frites and Pan Fried Gnocchi. I must say that I can certainly understand why this place comes so highly regarded and recommended as both dishes were immensely enjoyable. The steak was served with the best Béarnaise sauce that's ever passed my lips and although the steak was a little over the rare we ordered, it was still juicy and beautifully tender and well seasoned. The gnocchi was another stellar dish with gorgeous pillows of potato that were perfectly crafted and served with a side of braised beef shin, in a rich sauce with mushrooms and parsley velouté. On the initial mouthful of beef shin, I'd thought that it was a little rich but once blended with the velouté, they became a harmonious.

The whole experience made for an amazing night overall and the service matched the dishes that were served. I can highly recommend the Must Wine Bar for any occasion and even on a Monday night. I loved the fact that being the first ones there that we were in and out within a little over an hour and before the ever present coma from the endorphins of such a beautiful meal. I reckon I might have to make this a regular thing on a Monday night. Another thing I really liked is that you could opt to take any bottle of wine home at bottle shop prices.

Cheers for the awesome night!

Dave

1  Thank jetboy223
Reviewed 3 February 2015

Every time I come here I order the same dish. I can even make it as I bought the cook book by blakey. The pasta is amazing. I think the waitstaff are very cool but I just think that the whole restaurant needs a touch of laid back put into it. The same restaurant is in Margaret river and in my opinion kills this for atmosphere every time.