Coconut Grove Beachfront Cottages
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Taveuni Palms Resort(Matei)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Nakia Resort & Dive(Taveuni Island)
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
Garden Island Resort(Taveuni Island)
  • Restaurant
Laucala Island Resort(Laucala Island)
View Hotel
All reviewsbanana bureour honeymoonoutdoor showerthe lavena coastal walkmeal plancooking classwonderful staffwelcome songmangopacked lunchfruit smoothiesthe cottagesvillage visitsamosasother guestsrainbow reefclose to the airport
Reviewed 12 November 2009

my wife and i spent the better part of our honeymoon at coconut grove in fiji(we were there for 7 days!). the most memorable parts of our stay were the friendly faces that helped us with whatever we needed; always with smiles and 'bula's!' and how they went out of their way to make sure we had the best time on our stay.

next, the food was fantastic. the first night we were there they had a buffet and laid out all the food on the deck siding and we all waited for the word 'go!' with mouths watering at the wonderful smells and amazing presentation. we had breakfast included in our plan and it was always delicious: banana pancakes, fruit smoothies, coconut bread, eggs, bacon, etc...it was all excellent. we paid separate for the dinners, but we ended up eating there every night as they had the best food on the island(we found this out by asking around).

finally, the huts/bures we stayed in were so relaxing, clean, and fun. they have outdoor, lava rock showers(just make sure they know if the hot water cylinder needs to be changed, and they'll take care of you in a heartbeat). there were plantation style shutters all around and even ceiling fans to keep us comfortable.

did i mention the excellent service? they sang us a welcome song when we got there and sang a beautiful good-bye song on our last day. they offer you a thermos of coffee at night(for us early morning coffee drinkers)...which was a fun twist. they always had they place clean, inviting, and relaxing; i couldn't imagine a better view for breakfast or lunch. they'll even help you book taxis/events if you let them know where you're going the next day.

bottom line: too much good to say, not enough room to write it. if you're looking for fancy foofiness, or glitz and glam....don't go here. if you're looking for verandas as the sun rises, amazing sunsets, delicious food, clean rooms, and service with smiles galore, then this is the place for you!

bula! to all our friends at coconut grove on the sweet island of taveuni; til we meet again(soon, i hope!)

Reviewed 6 November 2009

I just had to respond because I am amazed that someone wrote that this resort is like being behind a store in a urban area. They must have had a falling out with the owner and tried to sabotage the place. This is the most gorgeous, tiny, friendly , charming resort I have ever seen. You are lucky to get a little bure here ( There are only 3, and I have mainly stayed in the only room in the main building, which is OK, too, but not the same). They are very nice, andscattered down a beautifully landscaped hill to a perfect little white sand beach. There is nothing urban about it. I have never seen outsiders traipsing through (stayed three times). One of the great things is that you sit on this amazing veranda to eat, with a perfect sea view, and Ronna introduces you to all the other guests (maybe 4-8 of them) Some other people come to the restaurant, too; for example, I met a group of Rotary Club dentists who were doing volunteer work on the island). I am still communicating with one couple whom I met there a year ago. Yes, it is on the main road, but everything is set way back. Everything has those perfect tropical views of the sea and waving palm trees. You can go sit on the beach, swim, take out a kayak, get a massage on the beach and never see more than one or two people. I can see it would be a little too "family-like" or small for some honeymooners who want total isolation together, but for a single person, it's great. My friends from the US (couple) loved it too. It's not super upscale, like a 5 star hotel, but it's really nice and the food is so interesting! Always a curry, fresh fish and some good meat. (and you can't always get good meat in Fiji; I have had pretty bad meat at some much more expensive resorts.) Even though the owner is American, I feel like it's a really Fijian boutique experience. That's how to think of it: boutique. If you like little, out of the way, charming places better than big fancy one, this is for you. Once they were full, and I stayed in a much more upscale resort, but honestly, I would go back to CG,even if the price was the same.

Ruth, Suva

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 November 2009

My partner & I spent 8 nights at Coconut Grove from 23rd October to 2nd November 2009. What a fabulous place, stunning location, fantastic people that make you feel so comfortable and the most amazing food. We arrived later than expected due to the plane being delayed (We were also delayed for over an hour when we left) The airline will apparently quite often put your luggage on a later flight, this did not happen in our case but we were told that some people didn't receive their luggage until the following day. Your luggage is weighted and also yourself with your carry on weighted before you travel as the plane only seats about 16 people. Coconut Grove is only a few minutes walk from the airport but we were met and transported immediately we'd arrived. We stayed in the Papaya Bure which is the smallest and cheapest of the three bures. It is located below and infront of the restaurant. The room was not large but adequate. The view from the undercover verandah was stunning. There is only 110v power in the room. A fridge and safe are supplied. Staff will supply you with a flask of tea or coffee for overnight as there is no power for kettles. Kayaks were available, also snorkels, goggles & flippers and also mountain bikes. The snorkeling is amazing, kayak to the islands just off shore once low tide has gone and see great coral and fish.
Definitely recommend having a massage on the beach. Our 'package' included a complimentary half hour massage but a full hour massage is even better and is $55FJ
Thanks Sera. Also a trip to Koru Levu out from Garden Island Resort is fabulous for snorkeling and also to see a bit of the island from the taxi. The Bouma waterfall was worth seeing and the Lavena Coastal Walk was very interesting. These are located over rough roads around the other side of the island.
Don't go to Taveuni if you want to wear high heels or blow dry your hair ( girls I mean)
and don't stay at Coconut Grove if you only stay at 5 star resorts. Coconut Grove is a unique experience and one that I would recommend to most people. I'm still missing the smoothies, coconut bread and great curries, but all the food was amazing. Ronna and the staff are really friendly, lovely people and make you feel so welcome. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 30 October 2009

We spent three nights at Coconut Grove the first part of October. We concluded our honeymoon with a stop on this island after trekking around Bounty Island and the Yasawas.

First of all, the food is amazing! I would highly recommend adding a meal plan to your booking. Try the smoothies!

Secondly, the staff is great! They made our trip extremely romantic and memorable.

Lastly, Ronna is an exceptional host! She constantly went out of her way to exceed all of our expectations! Their high marks on this site and Frommers are well deserved!

Thanks again Ronna and staff!!!

Reviewed 24 October 2009

After a month of tireless searching for a honeymoon destination for my wife and I, we chose Coconut Grove for part of our stay in Fiji because of the outstanding reviews we saw on Trip Advisor. As high as our expectations were set from the reviews we saw, we were simply blown away by the natural beauty of Taveuni, the indigenous Fijians, the staff, the food, and the charming resort.

From the moment we arrived on Taveuni via a very small airplane (maybe 16 passengers?), we were captivated by the beauty of the 'Garden Island.' I was shocked, because none of the hundreds of pictures I saw could do it justice. Understandable too, though, because some of the excursions you have the option to go on are not ideal for professional cameras to go be taken, but have the most brilliant scenery in all the island.

We were greeted by one of the staff, who took us back to the resort. Our luggage was surprisingly not on the plane, but I heard that the airline often sends the luggage out on an afternoon flight (we got there in the morning). We were greeted by the staff with a welcome song and smoothie at the charming little resort, which has 3 'bures' (individual cottages). They all knew our names, and proceeded to call us by name every time they saw us. This is not a place if you wish to remain anonymous! The property is well-kept. You can get descriptions off their website of what each of the cottages has, so I won't go into detail, but I can tell you that they are well-kept and simply beautiful. We stayed in the Mango Bure for 5 nights and got the honeymoon package. The outdoor shower was nice, too and boasted an outstanding view! Our only problem was that the Mango Bure was close to the office, so there was a little bit of foot traffic nearby (only during mid-day). We could hear people talking and were a little afraid that they may hear us...umm....doing....honeymoon things. Morning and Evening/night were just fine though.

The restaurant on-property also boasts an outstanding panoramic view of the ocean and a few islands. The tables, chairs, and decorations are simple, yet also charming. The food was good, with the exception of a few items, such as the bacon (tasted like fish). Most of the time we dined with the guests from the two other bures and got to know them as well. Tromonto's (Italian for sunset) down the road about 15-20 minutes walk also has a fantastic panoramic view of the sunset over the ocean and Vanua Levu, and has great food, if you are up for trying something else outside of Coconut Grove.

As far as activities go on the property, you have the option to kayak, snorkel (some decent spots between the to islands to the right as we found, but nothing like snorkeling in the Yasawas), biking with the two mountain bikes (the bikes were decent, but not great), sunbathe, take a cooking class, and a few more things (also listed on the website). However, by far and away our favorite thing to do was hang out with the staff. The Fijians are a wonderful people, and it would be a crying shame to miss out on the opportunity. There are many things to do off property, which the resort can arrange / advise you anything you want.

Bottom line, for the price, I think this little gem would be tough to beat. I have never seen anything like it. No, it's not a luxury five-star resort. It is not for everybody! Some things will not be perfect. Service may be slow (welcome to Fiji time!). But you have to set your expectations in turn. I think most people would love this place. My wife and I are simple, and enjoy the simple things in life and people, and it was these things that made us long to revisit this place, Lord willing, at some point in the future.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple