“Toiletries were nice”
Review of Sunset Lodge

Sunset Lodge
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Sunset Hills
Reviewed 26 July 2016

Our first impression was from the filthy picture window covered with dog nose prints and what appeared to be petroleum jelly smeared on the upper portion. The room had an odd musty smell and there was an obviously used towel on the back of the bathroom door. There was a lot of traffic coming and going in the parking lot all night long. Let's just say I'm grateful for the dead bolt lock.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there is a good room.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vevh444

Reviewed 8 July 2016 via mobile

We stayed here last night.
We suggest that you spend a few extra bucks and stay somewhere else. The room was overfilled with worn furnishings and the sink and bathtub didn't drain very well. The bathroom sink filled 3/4 of the way up while I brushed my teeth. It took a few minutes to drain.
Breakfast was meager.
Keep looking for a better place to stay.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rick H
Reviewed 25 May 2016

I only rented this place because it was close to the Zoo...if I had had a choice I would have gone somewhere else. It had roaches. When I checked in late night of course, they had already charged my card. I was told I wouldn't be charged until I got there and checked in. The bathroom needed it's repairs finished. It's like someone just was in a hurry to finish the job and didn't paint or anything. Not enough towels for 3 adults...even asked for more. Television was small, the list they had for channels was horrible. Most hotels/motels have TNT, TBS...channels like that...but this place didn't. The rooms were either cold or hot...not a happy medium.
Sheets didn't fit the bed.
I will NEVER stay there again!!!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank wcarroll48
Reviewed 12 May 2016

Priceline has falsely rated this motor lodge as a three star facility. It is not. The place was built circa 1960 and has not been updated since then. The rest room was in poor repair, with tile grout worn thru long ago; and most importantly, smelt like the prior occupants kept their pet in there, while they went out. When I went to complain first thing the next morning, the front desk clerk pretended to write down this complaint, plus other needed pluming repairs (toilet, faucet, etc.) and assured me they would take care of those issues when they cleaned the room. When we came back to the room midafternoon, the room had still not been cleaned. In fact, the room was never cleaned, unless I went to the front desk to demand a cleaning (one day not cleaned at all!), except for the last day. The only way I knew the room was cleaned the last day, was because the bathroom floor towel was missing – the room still looked dirty. No matter what the maids did, they were not able to fully eliminate the pet odor, which expanded to fill the entire motel room.
When I called the Priceline number to lodge a complaint, I was forced to leave a message, which was not responded to. The hotel refused to issue a refund, deferring to Priceline, which of course did not respond to my complaint about the unsanitary conditions.
This motel is not even worthy of a one star rating! It should be condemned and shut down. I am considering contacting the St. Louis County department of Health to make sure future potential hotel seekers do not make the same mistake I did.
But hey, the waffle maker was really good!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank stuh440
Reviewed 10 May 2016

We stayed here on our trip home. The room itself was clean but the bathroom had a problem in the tub where the ceiling had been leaking and the gyproc tape was hanging down. Also the shower rod was loose and had rolled over so the curtain was hanging on the floor. I informed the guy at the desk before checking out. When we checked out I noticed that the total was different from what I was quoted so I checked the bill further. I found that there was a charge for using the phone of $1.00. Now I know $1.00 is nothing but I didn't use the phone and if that happens to every customer then it rakes up to be a tidy sum over the run of a year. I asked the guy at the desk about it an he said that everyone was charged that and the next time we stayed we could have it removed but he wouldn't do it then. I was not impressed. I will be complaining to Choice Hotels

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
13 km away
WoodSpring Suites St. Louis Arnold
1.3 km away
Best Western Kirkwood Inn

Been to Sunset Lodge? Share your experiences!