“Exquisite”

Matteo's
Price range: US$21 - US$94
Cuisines: Japanese, Australian, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Housed in an elegant triple-fronted Victorian terrace,past the bohemian enclave of Melbourne’s famous ‘Brunswick Street’offering seasonal contemporary Australian cuisine and professional hospitality since 1994.Awarded a minimum of 1 hat in the coveted “Age Good Food Guide” every year since 1996.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It's probably not everyone's experience, but we asked the chef to serve us his signature dishes and match
the wines. Pricey, but one of the best meals I've had in a long time. With three sharing, we had Sashimi plate, Mushroom tortellini, Crab Tagliolini, Suckling pig, Flinders Isl. lamb, Lemon sorbet and Eureka Nugget dessert. They were all exquisitely presented. Matched with a 6.yo. chardonnay, a delightful Italian red and a sauterne all chosen by the knowledgable waiter (no, waitress!). If you're looking for a treat and your bank balance is reasonably healthy, this would be the way to go.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

We went here for lunch to celebrate my parents' 60th wedding anniversary. There is a very good range of food and wine but we were pleased to have the option of a two course menu for a lower price. Service was excellent and the food was delicious. However, for the price there isn't always a lot of it. It is a very interesting menu, great ambience and we all enjoyed it but several of us felt we could probably eat as well for a somewhat lower cost.

Reviewed 9 September 2017

We were here for Sunday lunch. Fantastic menu - innovative, very interesting, beautiful cooking. They say it is Italian/Asian fusion. I don't know what that is, but it works wonderfully with unique dishes. Fine service. One of the best layouts for a restaurant I have seen - manages to be very full but allowing each table to seem private. What a great find.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

On a recent visit to Melbourne I found myself dining in Matteos three times as the experience was so good. The place has a lovely comfortable neighbourhood feel with friendly and efficient staff. Food is of a fine dining standard but with good sized portions. On two occasions I started with a crab linguini starter followed by a garfish special - both excellent. The menu is wide ranging and contemporary with imaginative dishes across a range of influences. On each occasion all of my dining companions - which differed each time - were impressed. In addition Matteos will permit BYO for good wines with a reasonable corkage charge. I will return!

Reviewed 5 September 2017

Melbourne, as I have said many times, has SO many great restaurants. The latest I add to my list is Matteo's. Known to many locals but not to tourists. Such a gem. Located in restaurant rich Brunswick Street, you are guaranteed a wonderful night and dining experience. So many great dishes prepared with special attention and thought by a kitchen that does not get the recognition it deserves - except from its dining-disciples.
It does not really matter what dish you choose. All are great. My favourite started is the crab pasta before moving to either the garfish or the steak. All just wonderful. As a chip lover, the Matteo product has a unique taste and loveliness. Desserts favourite is the tiramisu. But as I said you will not be disappointed whatever your choice from a broad based menu
I do also have to mention the quality of the floor staff (particularly John) who have a wonderful mix of experience, warmth and food knowledge.
Best statement I can make is that we visited this great restaurant 3 times over the nine days we were in Melbourne
The icing on the cake for me is that Matteo's is a byo ($20). A rarity in the fine dining category.
Such a tight choice this year between Supernormal and Matteo's