“Extremely Disappointing Accommodation”

The Kapalua Villas, Maui
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
Reviewed 16 January 2018

We splurged and spent CDN$425/night to stay at Kapalua Villas for our 3 week, 30th wedding anniversary celebration. Unfortunately, despite the gorgeous location, the holiday became one for the memory book and not for the right reasons. The first villa, Ridge Terrace #2924, had a magnificent 180 degree view of the ocean but the patio doors wouldn't lock. Worse, the main patio doors, facing the ocean, didn't even meet at all below the lock so it sounded as though we were living in a flimsy tent on top of Everest, hearing NE trade wind whistles & howls all night long - no sleep at all. We were upgraded to a "gold" condo Bay Villa #27T5,after 5 days but that villa had no running water. Eventually, the shower was 'fixed' so that a faint mist came out of it but we had to use buckets of outside water to rinse off our hair. The bathtub/shower combo in the other bathroom didn't work at all the entire trip. The kitchen sink only had hot water. The mattress was really soft and worn - must have been 15 years old. Initially, in the "gold" villa, the wifi, lamp, phone and tv didn't work either. All got fixed except for the phone, the entire stay. Another day we woke to no power - the only villa without power, they said. Fixed after 8 hours. These villas are privately owned and very poorly maintained. Don't stay here! We eventually got a bit of a rebate but this accommodation was a disaster.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Rebecca D. R

Reviewed 15 January 2018

I love this Go to place! It is My families favorite on Maui. Golf, Pristine Beaches, access to the Ritz Carlton pool and dining for guest at the Villas.
I completely relax and unwind at this beautiful community. It is just away from the crowds in Lahaina but close enough for dining and fun.
I horseback ride nearby, there es zip-lining nearby , Just about everything for all members of your group.
Highly recommend these vacation rentals. I go here every Hawaii trip.
Enjoy

Room Tip: There are many homes on VRBO and AIRBNB to choose from if you go private.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 January 2018

We stayed over Thanksgiving in 29G4, oceanfront gold. Had a nice view of the ocean from our lanai, and spent most of our evenings unwinding here. The Condo itself was a bit disappointing cleanliness wise. I walked in to find dried droplets of blood on my floor in the dining room, and some of the walls were a bit dirty. The kitchen was clean and well appointed, the bathroom was AMAZING and the rest was very nice. Having a washer and dryer was a HUGE plus, and our unit had a VERY efficient air conditioner.

Room Tip: get ocean front gold!!!
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Micheale P
Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

Hawaii is gorgeous!!!!
Villa was fantastic!!!! CLEAN and updated! My family loved the stay and home island feel! We loved the view in the morning watching the whale spouts in the distance while sipping our coffee! We also loved that it was equipped with a garden hose, boogie boards and beach chairs! Nice touch! My Family will definitely be staying in a villa during our next visit back to Maui!!!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Bobbi L
Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

We just returned from our Christmas vacation trip to the Kapalua Villas in Maui and the the entire stay was horrible and disgusting to say the least. To get right to the point, after our first night in the Gold condo #15G2 in the Bay Villas, we woke up to roaches crawling all over the kitchen! We had to throw away all of the food that we have purchased. How could the local property management team allow roaches to live and breed in that condo? We demanded that pest control come and get ride of the roaches. They sent the maintenance man instead who sprayed home pest control along the kitchen cabinets. We had our 2 year old grandson with us so spraying pesticide in the kitchen was not what we paid for with our prepayments for 10 nights in the condo. They front desk tried to blame rain for the roaches being in the condo but I know that roaches are only present when there is filth left behind and moisture in dark places. The rain had nothing to do with having roaches. They were even crawling underneath the stove top control panel glass so when my daughter went to turn on the stove top she was horrified. We had the front desk send someone to treat for the roaches 3 times and I finally told them to bring traps instead of spraying so that my grandson would not get sick from the spray.

The condo also had a missing blind in the living area and when we asked to have the missing blind installed they just brought and hung a bed blanket in its place stating that it will take a long time to order a new blind. Why was it not already ordered and installed before our stay??? In addition the cabinet door under the sink was broken and we had maintenance come to attempt to fix it 3 times with no success. This was the most awful vacation condo stay of my life and so embarrassing. I made all of the arrangements and thought that the Kapalua Villas, a Gold villa especially, would be of high quality and at least clean an roach free. I demand that I be reimbursed for what I paid for the condo. I would not recommend the place to anyone. I would not have been as bad if the local property management would have taken care of the problems in a timely and caring manner. As a gesture of good faith the front desk reversed our daily resort fees but the $208 does not come close to making up for ruining our Christmas vacation. Can you imagine paying for a premium vacation stay and having to live there with roaches? They never offered to move us to another villa, of course because the complex was full. Something needs to be done about this. It is not okay and it is not going to be kept quiet like the front desk wanted. Looking forward to hearing back from anyone else who experienced this type of horrific, unacceptable occurrence during your stay at the Bay Villas of Kapalua. It may have only been this specific unit in the Bay Villas gated community so the owner should be furious with the local property management group who did not take care of their unit. Travelers beware if going to the Kapalua villas. Don’t stay in unit 15G2 in the Bay Villas community unless you like living with roaches.

Kerwine Bell

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank Kerwine B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapalua
9 km away
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 31 in Lahaina
9.4 km away
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to The Kapalua Villas, Maui? Share your experiences!