“18th birthday, food good, service ??”

Millhouse Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Skidby
Price range: US$38 - US$106
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

Very few decent places are open on a Monday so this place fitted the bill for daughters 18th.
There were 12 of us but only a couple of other tables.
I had been up & dropped off balloons cake & flowers earlier in the day, speaking to a lovely helpful girl who showed us the table and confirmed it would be set up as we wanted.
On arrival we had a drink in the bar & ordered some canapés. This meant we didn’t get to the table for a while & the food did take a while but preparing for 12 covers at once is not easy.
We did however have to ask for extra drinks & to order desserts so the service needs to be more attentive.
The food however was very good & everyone enjoyed it.
Scallops lovely although needed a little more cauliflower puree. Pate & soup delicious.
Venison well cooked & tender, duck nice but skin needed crisping more.
Pannacotta overset but tasty.
Due to length of time taken over meal we had to ask for the cake & flowers to be brought out but they forgot the flowers which was disappointing.
Overall an enjoyable night but service needs some work.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,285)

Reviewed 14 April 2018

First class service as expected. We visited for a family celebration, a party of all ages and we had a lovely evening. Having returned after a few years it was completely changed, a great makeover.
Francois was very attentive making sure we had everything we needed, plenty of waiting staff on hand. It wasn’t terribly busy when we arrived but filled up as the evening wore on.
Our meals were met with varied opinions. We opted for the a la Carter menu as it had more variety. The starters were enjoyed by all, the mains however left a few of our diners slightly disappointed. The children’s menu was viewed with satisfaction by our youngest family member and the kids cocktails went down a treat.
On the whole a really special place for any special occasion

Reviewed 14 April 2018

Went to Skidby Mill for my grandparents wedding anniversary and had a fantastic time. Every dish served was lovely with not a single complaint from any of the party. I personally was exceptionally impressed with the desert "scotch egg". It was lovely to see Francois as always, him and his staff were attentive and looked after us very well. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed 9 April 2018

Wedding ceremony and reception. Everything about it very good except one thing. The service good, food excellent (a High tea for the "wedding Breakfast" and a hot buffet for the evening reception). Pleasant place with good parking and a nice atmosphere.
It would be very good, if not excellent if it had not been for the bar prices- one expects to pay above average prices at a wedding reception, but one expects consistency in pricing,
The cost of identical rounds varied and when after one spectacular variation the bar person was questioned he stated that it was because a different brand of lager had been served !! One got the impression that perhaps income was being supplemented.
Took the edge of an otherwise great day, I don't like to think that I am being "fleeced".

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Skidby Mill is my mother's favourite restaurant in the area, so to celebrate my parents' 50th wedding anniversary, we got the family together for a nice meal out at the venue.

Service was very friendly by all the team, with Francois in particular being a highlight. His anecdotes made the evening seem very personal and he's an absolute credit to the establishment. The younger members of the serving team also performed well though they took a little longer than they should have to bring some drinks and a child's menu.

After being shown to our table, we waited about 10 minutes or so for our starters to arrive. These were definitely the highlight of the meal. My dressed crab was lovely, if a little overchilled and I'm told the chicken liver pate was delicious. The goats cheese bon bons and prawn cocktail also went down well.

The mains however, were less successful. My duck was presented beautifully and was lovely and tender but while the croquette potato looked appealing, it tasted bland and had a distinct lack of seasoning. I was told that the nut roast was very dry and needed a sauce with it rather than the admittedly delicious carrot puree.

The fillet steak was perhaps the most disappointing meal of the night. Asked to be cooked medium to well, it came absolutely cremated and was like a small lump of leather. Very disappointing considering the cost and quality of this portion of meat. The diner who had the fillet didn't want to make a fuss on this occasion, but if I had received it, it would have gone back.

Elsewhere, the hake dish (that had to be served with halibut because the hake had run out) was nicely cooked, but the skin on the fish wasn't crispy. If it's on the plate and meant to be eaten, the skin should be crisp. The cauliflower and almond puree also left a vastly unpleasant taste in the mouth, which I attributed to the almonds.

However, the rib-eye and sirloin steaks were beautifully cooked and the chicken dish, I was told, was absolutely gorgeous.

We opted for teas and coffees to round out the evening but unfortunately the Millhouse doesn't provide soy milk for their customers, so I had to have it black. Surely a 69p bottle of soy milk for your guests wouldn't be too much to ask?

The restaurant too has had a makeover since our last visit and at 7pm we were the only people in the dining room with no background music whatsoever. This lack of atmosphere and the two waiters stood in the corner of the room made the first part of our visit a little awkward. Thankfully, it filled up towards the end and created said atmosphere.

Overall, this visit to the Millhouse was a night very much split in two. The service was wonderful and attentive and the starters were some of the best I've ever tasted. However, half of the mains were described as 'disappointing' and when you're paying such a premium, I feel this needs to be rectified. I see so many 5 star reviews on here that I must attribute this to a 'bad day'.