“Just as good 29 years later! ”
Review of Half Moon

Half Moon
Reserve with OpenTable
Half Moon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Skidby
Price range: US$10 - US$19
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Last went when I was a student in Hull; went there for a birthday lunch yesterday with the family (now our son is at the same Uni!) and the dog. Really welcoming, unhurried, proper pub, dog friendly, food awesome - those Yorkshire Puddings are huge! Thoroughly recommend it; it was a little chilly inside, but nothing a fleece didn't fix and not enough to spoil anything.

Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

The pub has a good bar with some fine beers available on draft e.g. Black Sheep. The atmosphere is pleasant and the staff very friendly and helpful. The menu has enough variety but we all chose haddock and chips with mushy peas.
Service was prompt and the fish was of a good size and fresh. The new landlord has been there for 8 months and has improved the place and the food.
Ideal for a meeting place in the Hull area.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

A pleasant village pub.New owners are trying hard.
Yorkshire pudding specials are enormous and very good.

1  Thank flaviaEastYorkshire
Reviewed 23 February 2018

A return visit to the Half Moon, which my friends and I had looked forward to despite reservations that the menu would have changed following a change of ownership. On arrival, we were greeted by a lovely waiter who actually was very attentive all evening, with just the right amount of input and a good sense of humour which was appreciated by us all.

At first glance, the menu looked great with a good choice of mains, including the famous Yorkshire Puddings and a speciality burger menu. However, on closer inspection there is little for anyone who may be wanting a healthy as almost all meals came with chips and there was no indication this could be changed. Certainly all the meals appeared to be high in fat. My friend and I chose a 'mini-moon' yorkshire pudding dish, mine with minced lamb and my friend with sausages. Our other friend chose a special of chicken curry with rice. The food arrived after a short wait and looked lovely, certainly the yorkies were of a good size despite being the smaller version. However, they did disappoint, as they were very hard and slightly burnt on the edges, which made they difficult to cut and even harder to eat. We did give our opinions to the waiter at the time, but it did spoil our enjoyment. The meals came with a selection of veg and I'm sorry to report that it would appear they used frozen rather than fresh (particularly noticeable with the carrots). Our friends curry was reported as lovely and the plate was cleared.

We left a short break, then ordered desserts, a good range of real puddings and some desserts so two of us chose the crumble and one, the chocolate sponge. All were enjoyed, especially with the extra large jug of custard which went down a treat.

We did enjoy our food, but it could have been better. However, the evening was saved by the lovely waiter.

1  Thank Moonstone67
Reviewed 18 February 2018

After a busy week we booked a table for two at 6:30 last Friday.
On entering we were surprised how quiet it was.
We were quickly shown to our table and we checked out the menu.
I decided to go with gammon and chips, hubby a chicken dish which came with seasonal veg and new potatoes.
The waitress took our order and we settled down with a nice Hendricks and lemonade and a coffee.
The waitress came back to say the olives in the chicken dish were not pitted, were we ok with that. Hubby said it was ok and then after she left did comment to me that that seemed odd.
The waitress returned again later to say they had run out of potatoes would chips be ok.
Hubby agreed and off she went again.

Our meals were served after what we felt was a long time, especially as they were not busy, it was over 30 minutes.
I know they have a sign up saying food is cooked to order but the wait did seem excessive.
My gammon was tasty, the I think, fries had some coating on them and were nice.
Hubby’s meal looked like it had been under the lamp on the counter for a while.
The seasonal veg served with it was one piece of cauliflower and one piece of broccoli. The chips were chips not fries, unlike mine.
He ate it all and left a mountain of olive stones on his plate, I ate all of my meal too.

We didn’t bother with dessert.

The bill for the two meals including a gin and lemonade and a coffee was very cheap at £22 but would have paid more for better quality and accompanying veg.

Hubby mentioned that he thought it may have changed hands, all the references to Wales had gone off the walls.
We asked and was told it had changed hands.

Having visited numerous times under the last management, we never had a problem of not getting what was on the menu.
Who on Earth runs out of potatoes on a Friday teatime? And if they did, they are within easy distance of places to get them.
They are a basic.
Why used unpitted olives in a sauce?

We have no plans to return, it is crossed off our list, there are plenty of other places to try in the area.

3  Thank ChristineW01