Strangford Arms Hotel
Priceline
US$112
US$106
Agoda.com
All reviewssmall tvpleasant receptionistcurrysmall hotelbreakfast staffroom was clean and comfortablepiping hotscampipavlovahotel barvery pleasant staylovely mealulster frystayed here for one nightcouldn't do enoughwell worth a visittea and coffee
Reviewed 9 September 2017

I travelled to Newtownards with my husband and brother-in-law, last weekend. After checking in we went to find our rooms. My husband is disabled and unfortunately the room we have been assigned was located up a steep narrow staircase. Alison (head of House Keeping) came to the rescue. Seeing the problem she immediately showed us an alternative room and then went back to reception to have our key cards re programmed. After that each time we saw Alison she always gave us a warm greeting and double checked that we had everything we needed. A really lovely lady and credit to the hotel.

Later that evening we were sat in the bar (Le Winter) trying to arrange afternoon tea for my sister-in-law who has been quiet poorly. Louis he bar man came over and I asked if it was something the hotel could arrange for us? He said he would speak with his manager and the chef to see what could be done. A few minute later he came back and said they could arrange some sandwiches and scones and cream if that would be OK. We agreed and Louis went and arrange the table booking for us.

Later Louis' Manager Darren came over to take our order. We mentioned how helpful Louis had been and that he was an asset to the team. Darren was great from the start he as the special something in that he can read people and he knows if he can have the "Crack" with you and boy did we have a crack!! Darren went out of his away to make sure that we had what we needed for our afternoon tea and made a special fuss of my sister-in-law which was very much appreciated.

Thanks Darren and all the staff at Le Winter for a great weekend. Hope to see you again soon

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank lynnmcginn
Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

Le Wintets is a very good restaurant within the hotel. Recent visits have provided good food at reasonable prices in a pleasant environment. Well worth a try. Scampi is the best we have eaten for some time. Special courses are on offer most nights of the week.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Glenn T
StrangfordManagement, Manager at Strangford Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2017

Hi Glenn –

Thank you so much for your review. I am so glad you enjoyed your lunch with us, and that you found the food to be reasonably priced and the setting to your liking. I do hope you will be back for more of our Scampi soon!

Many thanks,

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

Ate with friends. Had sweet chilli chicken which was lovely but the portion was tiny and definitely not worth the 14 price tag. I almost asked if something was missing from my plate when it arrived. Just a side dish of the chilli chicken which was mostly peppers and onions and a small pot of chips. Normally I hardly touch the chips with my meal as they should be as they are described. A side dish. However they were the bulk of this dish. When my dessert arrived i thought thank goodness my main was so small as the portion was massive. Again though I was disappointed. The only thing toffee about the sticky toffee pudding was the little bit of toffee 'juice' that was dribbled on it. It could never be called a sauce it was so thin. Left most of it as was so bland. The two strawberry segments were nice though.....

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Hi katrossb,

Thanks for telling us about your experience, although I am surprised you were disappointed with the Honey Chilli Chicken, as it is one of our most popular dishes! I can only apologise that in your opinion we have fallen short of our usual high standards on this occasion.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2017

Looking for a value hotel and used Trivago, Booking.com, etc and prices around £72 for one night mid-week, however, went straight to hotel and found a £55 Economy double not mentioned on the internet sites. I didn't expect too much, however, was presently surprised. The room was perfect for my needs, a bit neat space-wise, but the hotel's own description was spot-on and I knew that before I arrived. Bathroom spotless, did take a wee bit of time to get the shower temp sorted but unlike other reviews, it was powerful. Bed a double and nil issues clean and presented well. Room equipment all worked, adequate tea making stuff. Creaky floor boards but heh, not a big deal either didn't stand in that spot to make a big deal about it. For an advertised Economy room this was better than expected and room décor was not tired. Bit warm, but heat off and window open, sorted that. Road noise, well it's got a road outside my first floor front of house room and this is the main route into Newtownards with cars on it, it's going to be a bit noisy. Reception team very courteous and I didn't have the pre-authorisation issues others had, just paid the room on my debit card end of that. Only issue was getting back in after night out. Poor night porter, had to do a bit of banging on the door at 0100 to get in. Didn't reflect this in the overall rating as sometimes things happen and apology accepted. Breakfast included in £55 price, nil issues with regards to food and my request was handled well by the kitchen. Breakfast staff quite young but pleasant. Would have been good for residents to get a bit of discount of evening meals during their stay, but you can't have everything. Evening meal was adequate, lacked a bit of lustre, just ordinary, a few more chips wouldn't have gone a miss although the fish was good. Parking on-site was a bonus and no charge but not overly secure, didn't see any monitoring. No fridge in my economy room, I'd meds with me but not a big issue for one night but might be if you need to stay longer and need them cooled. Overall did exactly what it stated it would as an economy option and can't complain. Will use again.

Room Tip: Read the description and ring up and ask, day reception staff very helpful and professional.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo

Hi SkinnyNurse,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such detailed and thorough feedback – it is much appreciated! I am pleased to hear that the room exceeded your expectations, and that the décor, cleanliness and breakfast were all to your liking.

Thank you for choosing the Strangford Arms, and we look forward to your next visit.

Many thanks,

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

My Wife and I went for a quick Weekend break..Liked the layout of the bar area, found it to be really large and airey and yet the layout of the tables still gave you a bit of privacy. Our evening meal was excellent.. We both really enjoyed our food and special requests were easily catered for. Only let down for me was I like a good Irish coffee after my sweet and this was certainly lack the coffee element..still didn't go to waste. Our room was small and compact but functional..you get what you pay for..Irish breakfast I found to be small but there was enough other elements available to keep a grown man happy.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Hi Harpo561 -

I am delighted to hear that you and your wife had a pleasant stay, and that our staff were able to accommodate any special requests that you had. Thank you for your kind comments on the quality of the food offering, our bar area, and that the breakfast was enough to make a “grown man happy!”

I do hope you will choose to stay with us again, and hopefully we can make an Irish coffee more to your liking next time.

Many thanks again,