“A proper pub . ”

Gallaghers Pub & Barbers
Ranked #40 of 262 Restaurants in Birkenhead
Reviewed 15 March 2020 via mobile

Whenever I find myself over this side of the River Mersey I always beat a trail to Gallaghers Pub ,a pub that always offers a warm welcome and serves great real ales.
I love the look of this pub, a military theme throughout, posters, enamels, photos,military uniforms, drums ,in fact all manner of military themed bric a brac adorning every space of this pub,very cool,very interesting, theres also tv's to enjoy the sport and plenty of seating options spread throughout this pub, a great pub to visit.
My twin brother Stephen and I were here on a Saturday afternoon, greeted warmly by a very pleasant member of staff, after a quick study of their real ales my brother went for Titanic Brewery " Dr Runi pale ale " while I opted to have Dirty Duck Brewery " wristy fitzy " ,we were served two excellent brews,my pale ale was really good,a classic British pale ale, full bodied, well balanced, consistent from the first sip till the last sup, a totally refreshing pale ale,my twin brother Stephen also gave me the thumbs up to his real ale.
As we were pub hopping around this part of town we moved on after our delicious real ales and as on every other visit to here we had a great time.
Gallaghers Pub is easy to locate along Chester Road.
Opening hours are;
Monday, 4pm till 11pm.
Tuesday to Thursday, Midday till 11pm.
Friday & Saturday, 11.30am till Midnight.
Sunday, Midday till 11pm.
A great pub,one I I highly recommend you visit if your in the area.

Date of visit: March 2020
Write a reviewReviews (21)

Reviewed 17 July 2019 via mobile

5 of us stopped in for lunch today after a trip on the Mersey Ferry. The food was fabulous and the service was excellent. Elaine was a font of knowledge and fun to talk to. Definitely worth the short walk up the hill from the ferry.

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed 22 February 2019

Such an interesting place, with friendly attentive staff and good quality beer. I feel educated on the Birkenhead drill, thank you. Lots of military memorabilia from lots of Regiments but sadly no D&Ds.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed 20 December 2018 via mobile

We had our works Xmas lunch today and had such a fab time! Took our pre-order and were really helpful with our vegan colleague, really went out of their way to make a meal for her that wasn't originally on the menu. Really attentive while we were there, and Eileen and her friend in the kitchen (sorry didn't catch his name) were the perfect hosts for us. We'll definitely be back! Pizzas we're incredible!

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed 8 December 2018 via mobile

My twin brother Stephen and I had jumped the ferry across to Birkenhead and one of the first pubs we visited was Gallaghers Pub,this is one of my favourite pubs in this part of Merseyside, it's a great pub serving great beers.
I love the look of this pub,a military themed pub,lots of regimental drum kits and army and navy memorabilia adorning the walls, the ceiling and outside of this pub is festooned with great looking poppy's in keeping with the military theme.
We were here on a Saturday afternoon, greeted warmly by a very pleasant member of staff, after a quick study of the beers on offer my brother and I opted to have Brimstage Brewery pale ale,these were served in tip top condition ,we just chilled out and took in the great pub we were in.
The real ales brewed by Brimstage Brewery are a favourite of mine, a top quality real ale,very hoppy, well balanced and bursting with taste and very easy to drink indeed.
We really enjoyed our real ales in here and although we only stayed for the one real ale each before we moved on as on every other visit to here we had a great time.
Gallaghers Pub is easy to locate on Chester Street.
A great pub,one I highly recommend you visit if your in the area.

Date of visit: December 2018