“Very good”
Review of Timbrells Yard

Timbrells Yard
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Timbrell's Yard sits on the banks of the River Avon in the beautiful town of Bradford on Avon. It has recently undergone a complete refurbishment and has 14 beautiful en-suite rooms with a spacious restaurant and bar. On warm summer days you can sit on the terrace and admire the gardens of Holy Trinity Church opposite. You can eat all day, every day, from our kitchen - Simple fresh food, prepared on the premises daily and relying on the best West Country produce. The menu changes constantly and we are proud to showcase our local suppliers.
Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

Very attentive staff and very flavourful food.
Our first table was very noisy due to a birthday party nearby but we were moved without fuss as soon as we raised this.

Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

Went with my mum as we needed a pit stop for a light bite/lunch.

We both admired the decor. So tastefully done and classy.

Staff excellent and helpful.

They couldn’t do enough to adapt the menu for my plant based diet. And what they gave me was YUMMY!! (Bean sprout bahji’s in a Indian sauce).

My mother also loved her crab dish. We were both quiet for a while, while we ate, which never happens!!

Want to go back for a posh lunch in the main restaurant ASAP.

Loved it. Bravo timbrell’s

Reviewed 15 April 2018

I just had the most amazing salad at Timbrell's Yard. On the page it is described as a Tossed Chicken Salad, which can be ordered as a starter portion or a main. Now here's the thing with Dinner Salads: you need to convince yourself that A SALAD WILL BE ENOUGH FOR DINNER. Once you've made this decision then you can proceed with ease into this salad, because it is indeed a very substantial salad, and will be enough. (As it happened I had the wonderful crab cakes for a starter, and they were crispy, very crabby, and accompanied by a very punchy cilantro and cumin sauce).

The menu listed this salad as containing chicken, cucumber, wild rice, pumpkin seed, and satay, but the salad itself was so complex, and with so many different flavours rolling around in there, it seemed like a lot more.

Now, somebody turned the lights down just before my salad arrived so I really couldn't SEE my salad as my eyes hadn't adjusted, so I just dove in, blind, but certainly there were all sorts of varied greens and herbs (endive, bitter leaves, and masses of cilantro), and a constant pop of satay. I asked for it without cucumber and didn't mss it. Just when you began to feel that things were getting too salad-y and you wanted a bit of something substantial, there were generous portions of chicken to keep you happy.

I'm not in the habit of writing three paragraphs about salad but this one deserves every paragraph. SOMEBODY'S HAVING FUN IN THE KITCHEN! Thank you for a great meal.

Reviewed 15 April 2018

We'd been really looking forward to visiting Bradford-on-Avon as we have recently moved to Bath and everyone has been telling us what a lovely place it is. So when we saw that Timbrells Yard had been given a Bath Life Magazine award, we decided to make the trip and have lunch. Bradford-on-Avon is indeed a beautiful town and Timbrells Yard is idyllically situated by the river. The sun was shining and the outside tables gradually filled up with people. We had a drink outside enjoying the first spring sunshine then went into the restaurant for our lunch. Our waitress was friendly and welcoming, we ordered drinks and food and all seemed set for a lovely lunch. However it soon became clear that there is a lack of organisation and professionalism. Three times we were brought things we had not ordered - staff didn't seem to know where things were meant to go, confusing table numbers and asking each other for help - we could easily observe this as we were seated near the open plan kitchen. After a while I described it to my husband as rather like watching a car crash in slow motion. Our starters arrived after a decent interlude - served by a man who seemed like he might be the manager but who thought he was serving me a Blue cheese salad rather than ceviche! It was actually ceviche ( well not really - see next sentence). My sea bream ceviche was a plate full of ( good, interesting) leaves with some marinated fish ( which was good, nice limey dressing) but it wasn't really ceviche ( I've eaten the real thing both in Peru and in good London Peruvian restaurants); my husband's Gloucester Old spot terrine was tasty but strangely firm in texture. We then waited an age for our main courses - the tables outside had filled up and people were ordering lots of small plates and burgers and the kitchen couldn't seem to keep up ( even though we could see plenty of people in there from our vantage point). The main courses were brought to the table by a young lad who didn't seem to be at all experienced ( he put my plate down on the table to the left of my place setting...) but he was polite and asked if we required any sauces, etc. He was doing his best with inadequate training. Our original waitress was rushing around clearly trying to hold everything together; another waitress who had tried to serve us food we hadn't ordered ( and who looked very cross when we said this was the third time we had been brought something we hadn't ordered), had disappeared behind the Reception desk ( this place also does rooms); the 'Manager' was nowhere to be seen. Another point is that the staff didn't look well-presented - slightly dishevelled/ scruffy in fact. Mains were OK - my Potato and spring Onion dumplings had a nice Romesco sauce with baked ricotta crumbs; my husband's Blue Vinny salad was disappointing - again too many leaves. This place could be brilliant - it's a lovely building in a great location in a pretty town. But someone needs to get hold of the management side and the food perhaps needs to be less ambitious ( or hire a better chef)

1  Thank Jill M
Reviewed 12 April 2018

I am not usually one to complain but this was really an awful experience !
This should have been a lovely experience with my whole family a late treat for Mother's Day it was such a huge dissapointment, it started with us being given a huge amount of courses that were unavailable ! Yes it was a Monday but a 12:45 lunchtime booking should have been catered for, bad management to say the least.
Half of the meat main courses weren't available, leaving us with mostly fish dishes or boring steaks, I chose sea bream as did my daughetr-in law both were well over cooked dried out awful, one of the medium rare steaks was overdone, others had roasted hake with a chickpea ratatouille which only had two chickpeas in it !!!!
Three of us had starters which were ok, but we were at the table for an hour before we were served the disastrous mains ! We were so hungry by then we attempted to eat what we could, but when asked if everything was ok there was a stony silence, when asked to be honest we couldn't hold back, we were offered a variety of snack alternatives but we couldn't stay any longer and quite frankly couldn't be bothered as the meal was already ruined. I did try a dessert to see if they could redeem themselves but a rock hard lemon posset was the last straw !
We had three main courses refunded but this wasn't enough to make me consider going back, if you're going to be open on a Monday get your stocking levels right I chose this restaurant for the menu not knowing you wouldn't have very much of it !
I felt so sorry for our waitress for doing all she could but she was so let down by a kitchen with four chefs in it who should never have served the poor food that they did and kept us waiting so long for what was a very port meal for the high prices they charged ! Not going back.

2  Thank Julie L