“Excellent food”

Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 December 2017

First time visitor to Piedaniels. We visited on a quiet Saturday morning in November. Lovely quaint place too, sat overlooking the side garden. We ordered the the duck confit and pork belly for mains. Both were absolutely delicious. I am not normally a big fan of pork belly due to its awkward nature of pork and fat but this was excellent. The dessert was a knockout too. Overall a big thumbs up for Piedaniels from me.

Reviewed 5 December 2017 via mobile

A small (from the outside), fine dining restaurant located just off the beaten track in picturesque Bakewell.

There is limited parking available immediately outside (about half a dozen places, and in the day the stay is limited). However, being a tourist town, there is plenty of parking close by, so you'll enjoy a short walk through the lovely town before settling down to the best cuisine in the area.

A regularly updated a la carte menu has around six choices for each course. There is also a very reasonably-priced table d'hote selection available for every meal, except Saturday dinner.

We've eaten here many times. My parents live 20 mins drive away and this is their favourite restaurant. Almost every time my wife and I visit, we end up with them at Piedaniels.

The quality of the food is superb. Classic French with a twist (the black pudding salad starter, for instance). Sea bass, pheasant timbale, turkey, steak, buttered vegetables, any of the desserts - the choice is wide and will satisfy even the most discerning of tastes; the chef is unbelievably good, and welcoming staff ensure the excellence extends beyond just the food - a lovely atmosphere. Portions are bigger than they look - you will leave full, and will likely be planning your next visit over coffee.

The only restaurant in the area that even gets close to Piedaniels' standard holds a Michelin star. If you're planning a nice/special meal, I highly commend Piedaniels to you - it's Michelin star food, with better portions and none of the pretence. We were there for the first sitting at 7pm on Saturday - there was a lounge-full of people waiting to be sat before the start of service. They're obviously doing something right - have a meal there you'll understand what that is.

PS - I don't usually photograph food in restaurants, but the Baked Alaska with the truffle penguin was too fantastic not to save for posterity!

2  Thank N0rthY0rks
Reviewed 25 November 2017

The restaurant is very uncluttered and furnished stylishly and comfortably. Perhaps because the walls are bare local stone the acoustics were sometimes difficult. Two people on the next table were having an animated conversation and it was difficult not to hear what they were saying and intruded on our ability to have our own across the table natter.
We each had three different courses. All were excellent and I cannot add any more technical detail to the many already made. Service was very amiable, prompt and helpful. We enjoyed our meal very much and reckon it's the best restaurant in Bakewell.
One suggestion: it would be beneficial to be able to book on-line rather than simply be telephone.

Reviewed 24 November 2017

Had a lovely evening meal. My husband and I were visiting Bakewell. This restaurant was recommended by out B&B owner and we were not disappointed. Food was excellent and staff were very friendly and helpful. Good wine. I had the pheasant as my starter and the lobster and prawn Thermidor. My husband had the goats cheese and the sea bass. All the dishes were delicious. Dessert was also very good.
Tastefully decorated too.
Overall fantastic dining experience.

Reviewed 21 November 2017

While staying in Bakewell had an evening meal here. Wish we had found it on our first night. Had a lovely meal. The waiting staff were helpful and lovely. Wish this was near where I lived. Next time in Bakewell I will be booking a meal here. Not cheap but worth it.