“Paradise in Maldives”

Paradise Island Resort & Spa
Reviewed 24 November 2010

We are back from a wonderful 4Day/3Night Vacation from Maldives. Needless to say, we enjoyed every second of the stay. Even after almost 1 month, I am still not over that wonderful feeling.

We wanted to go to a beach location as I wanted to see the clean blue waters and white sand first hand. So, we had short-listed 5 holiday destinations, Maldives, Mauritius, Seychelles, Langkawi in Malaysia and Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

The decision to choose Maldives as the holiday destination was taken on grounds of the following points.

- Mauritius and Seychelles were close to African continent, hence more traveling time and money.

- Langkawi was closer to Jakarta which was a quake prone area.

- Andaman and Nicobar was part of India and did not require a passport to travel from India. My wife had received a passport in the previous month after an year long delay and was desperate to use it. :-)

- Maldives was close to India, required a passport to travel (:-)), had a lot of good reviews in the Internet, the water seemed more clear and blue than any of the other places and most importantly had the coral reefs for snorkeling.

- My cousin who works for the Great India Tour company arranged everything for competitive rates (If you want his contact details, you can e-mail me).

Although we are staying in Bangalore, we chose the Trivandrum airport as there was almost Rs 5000 difference in the air fare per person. The Air India flight took close to 1 hour fromTrivandrum to Male Airport. We were stunned by the beauty of the place just as we landed in the airport. As the airport is build in on a narrow strip of Island, it seemed like we were landing on water. There was an immigration clearance and we were issued a 90 day visa on arrival.

Points to note here are,

- Keep your sunglasses and sunscreen handy. Put it on as soon as you step outside that flight.

- If you are not having a satellite phone, get a SIM card and recharge it as it is ridiculously expensive to make a call from the resort island. An 8$ recharge should last for 4 days with calls of small duration. If I remember correct it was about half an hour of talk time to India.

- Check beforehand whether the resort provides you drinking water in your room. As one of my colleagues visited the place just 2 days before, we were informed that the water is not provided in the room and not even during meals. It will cost you an additional 3$ to get 2 ltr of water. So as a precaution, we carried some water bottles before starting from India. But make sure that you keep the water in the check-in baggage. But water didn’t become an issues for us as the resort included drinking water in our package after our first day (31st Oct) and we were provided 3 ltr of drinking water in the room each day, from 1st Nov onwards.

- Everything in Maldives has a $ rate. So, carry some American $ and you should be alright.

Our stay was arranged in Paradise Island resort. It was nice to see that and there were some people ready to pick us and drop to the resort when we checked out from airport. It was a 20 min speed boat ride that took us to the resort. The view was wonderful and the hospitality of the receptionist is really appreciable. The room was good, with A/C, intercom, mini bar and a TV. As we had booked the room as a honeymoon couple, the room also had complementary champagne and a fruit basket. It had a spectacular view right out your window. If you are opting for beach bungalow, opt for the one that is near the restaurant. We were fortunate to get the same and loved it. But our friends were not so lucky and had to walk around 6-8 KM daily to reach the restaurant. Each room was assigned two benches if you are keen to do some sun-bathing! Also they have a good bathroom. But if you are an Indian, my advice is, carry a mug, if you know what I mean. ;-)

If you are interested in water-sports, check out the rates in the first day itself. There are some packages available, which can be completed any day of your stay. But make sure that you complete the snorkeling early on any of those days because that, for me, is easily THE best activity in Maldives. Check with the sport-center if the water would be clear and calm to get a perfect experience. The snorkeling gear (except the fins) can be purchased in India for less than 1000 Rs. But if you are renting the same from resort, it would cost you the same(22$ per head); although here you get a life jacket and fins too, so even people who can’t swim can enjoy the trip to the full. Carry some underwater camera if you want to show the amazing things what you have seen under the water to the outside world. We were afraid that the X-ray machines in the airport might harm the film rolls in the camera but thankfully, were able to get some pretty good photographs with it.

The water scooter and parasailing was also enjoyable. When you are going for water sports, make sure that you have the goggles and head cap and do not allow water to enter your mouth because even though it seem clear, being sea water, it is very very salty. Also, if you are in the salt water when the sun is out, wear the clothes that cover your body parts that you don’t want to be tanned :-).

The food in the Paradise Island was very good. We opted for a half board option, which included breakfast and dinner and both are buffet. We carried some snacks which were sufficient during the day, especially when you are about to swim its better not to have a heavy stomach. The only problem we noticed is, although a beach resort, they did not have prawns or Lobsters. There were lots of Japanese tourists (Truly no offence to Japanese) in the resort and they were very annoying during our meals. Even if they want to talk to a person two table apart or to the person just near to them, they seem to have same level of volume. I wish there was some mute button in them.

The staffs were very friendly. They never invade our privacy and when spoken to, are very eager to help. Overall, the stay in the resort was excellent and I would recommend anyone looking for a quality time (and money), to visit the place. Don’t inhibit yourself. Enjoy to the maximum.

I will put down the expense per person so that you have an idea about expected rates as on 31st Oct 2010.

- Airfare - 14000 per head for round trip

- Hotel stay - 26000 for two in a beach villa for 4 days and 3 nights

- Water sports (Including 90 minutes of Snorkeling trip with the help of a trainer, snorkeling gear renting for one day, Parasailing, water scooter, tow able sport and canoeing) - 300 $ + 10 % tax

- SIM card and recharge - 10 $

If you want to know more on this, you can contact me. I will be happy to help. I will try to upload some pictures for the same.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
49  Thank Sarath1981
Write a ReviewReviews (2,837)

Reviewed 20 November 2010

The second trip was as good as first. but this time i went with my wife and also with another couple. we had great time. the best part is the indian food they provide in the half board. awesome food and the taste is soooo much indian with lot of traditional items. The mini-bar inside the room was costly but was quite good to have a quick drink. they re-fill while we are away. the open bathroom was great expereince.

Dont miss the water jet scooter. We saw a giant sea turtle while we were scootering. it was unblievable and we were sooo lucky.

Enjoy and never miss this place. a piece of heaven placed in earth.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jaguar_kb
Reviewed 18 November 2010

I just got back from the maldives and Paradise Island resort yesterday. Since I saw this bad review below here I just felt like I needed to give my opinion.
I travelled to the Maldives with my mother as a surprise for her. I usually travel a lot, and I have seen many beautiful places around the world. This is by far the most beautiful!

The resort has got rooms around the island, and the view and beach can be very different around the island. So I assume the bad reviews written here are fom people who got to live in a bungalow with a bad location.
Anyway, if you are not satisfied with anything you can always ask the staff for room change or whatever you might need. We found them to be extremly helpful and service minded!

We did most of our dining at the Italian restaurant which is beautifuly located by the water. You can enjoy good food while you`re having a look at the reef sharks and other fish swimming by. It´s awesome! The staff at this restaurant was also fantastic!
I really left a piece of my heart on this island, and I will most definitly be back!

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 14 November 2010

Paradise Island is on a stunning atoll (as they all are!) It's certainly lovely to look at and the rooms/buildings were very nicely done, particularly the water bungalows.
My biggest issues were around food & drinks. We were disappointed to find that even water was to be paid for separately despite my husband and I being on an all inclusive deal. When it's $3 for a small bottle it really adds up. All drink prices were actually pretty high but that seems to be the case all over the Maldives.
Meals were actually good and there was a lot of choice though I found the huge buffet and dining area a little too much like a canteen. There was certainly no chance of a romantic meal!
Overall it's a nice place but maybe a bit too much like a beautiful, expensive holiday camp/Butlins for me...

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LondonPinksarah
Reviewed 13 November 2010

We stayed in Paradise Island Holiday resort for 3 days. The best thing about the resort is it's location. I will always remember the spot where sea meets the shore from both sides. The sight of clear blue sea along with pure white sand is simply breathtaking.

The resort is very well maintained with all of the cottages facing the sea along with a number of water villas. We were staying in the southside of the resort where waves are curbed, and so it is more or less still water. Besides, since this is far off from the restaurant and water sports center, we had to walk daily for 6-8 kms daily. So, if you are planning to stay here, make sure that you ask for a cottage near the restaurant.

The Water sports activities arranged at the resort are good. We had taken a super deluxe room on half board, ie breakfast and dinner buffet included. The spread is quite good, but we found the timings for breakfast and dinner a little odd. Restaurant is open for breakfast from 7:30 am to 9:30 am, and dinner from 7:30 to 9. But if reach the restaurant late, may be by 8:30, most of the dishes would've got over.

Resort and facilities are very expensive. You are charged from anything to everything starting from using Wifi in the Lounge to any of the amenities there. They did provide 3 bottles of mineral water for free though. Water sports activities are costly. You are charged around 45$ per activity. But there are packages for couples which is a little less expensive. There are no utilities or medical shop available in the resort, and my advice is to pack up as much stuff as you expect you would need there.

Staff is a disgrace on such an awsome place, to say the least. I found the guys managing Watersports center, Reception and Restaurant to be arrogant, and not helpful in general. Housekeeping staff were an exception though.

Overall, it was a vacation to cherish, despite the efforts (or lack of it) of resort staff.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank parvathyls
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lankanfinolhu Island
4.3 km away
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
1 km away
Gili Lankanfushi
Gili Lankanfushi
#1 of 1 in Lankanfushi

Been to Paradise Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!