Huvafen Fushi really is as stunning as in the photos - the waters are a jaw-dropping turquoise and the service was amazing. I also recommend the hotel for the ease of getting to the island, unlike the further resorts where you have to take a bus and then a seaplane, the transfer via speedboat to Huvafen Fushi is quite painless, as the boats are docked at the 'front door' of the international airport, just outside in fact - not even a 2 minute walk away.
The ocean bungalows are spacious and perfectly laid out. We stayed in room 33 which was on the further end of the pier, and we recommend being on this side (more privacy and uninterrupted ocean views) rather than the side where the boats make their arrivals on the island and where the hotel's yachts and dhonis are parked.
One of the highlights that we did not expect was the stingray feeding at 6:30pm daily where we saw some of the BIGGEST stingrays I have ever laid eyes on - quite an eye opener!
We booked dinner at Salt one night and enjoyed the seafood platter for two - which was a sumptious feast including lobsters, crabs, scallops, prawns, mussels, octopus... it was a mountain of seafood, a bit excessive for two - but we enjoyed all we could eat! I would suggest that you take the half-board package, as this covers breakfast and dinner which would make the experience a lot more enjoyable than paying ala carte (which will average US$200+ per dinner) for individual meals. The resort also features themed nights like Mas Bazaar on Friday nights (fish market featuring catch of the day) and Maldivian night on Monday nights where they serve local curries and food to local drumming and singing. Check the schedule before you travel if you are interested in a particular program.
I also visited Lime Spa twice - and really enjoyed both visits. Huvafen Fushi boasts an underwater treatment room which is a unique experience. I discovered however that the big fish visit and hunt around the Spa Aquarium at night (the lights attract the plankton and smaller fish) hence attracting the bigger fish like Jacks, reef sharks, snappers. We were given a private visit at 8pm after the last treatment (the spa closes at 9pm) and really enjoyed seeing the fish hunting in a natural environment. You can request this, and they will happily arrange it for you if the room is not booked for a treatment - it's worth seeing!
We also tried the sunset cruise with champagne - very nice experience, the dhoni was large, and outfitted with fat, comfortable cushions where we had a private cruise and watched the spectacular sunset (as well as taking a lot of photos that made all our friends back home very envious)!
Huvafen Fushi is a small resort with only 44 rooms, which is perfect because it feels like our own private island. Even though the hotel was running at about 80% capacity when we were there, we hardly ever saw anyone except at breakfast and dinner. Perhaps because all the rooms have their own plunge pools, we spent 2 afternoons at the hotel main pool and hardly saw anyone else there. The staff were also very quick and attentive to bring out cold water and towels.
This is my second visit to Maldives (first time I stayed at Four Seasons Kuda Huraa), and it was even more spectacular than I remembered. As a last parting touch, the hotel team stayed on the pier and waved until the boat was out of sight... WOW, that was a nice farewell! We would definitely go back in a heartbeat - this place was heaven on earth!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Float at infinity's edge. Descend stairs for underground wine. Come out of your shell in the depths of an underwater spa room - the first and only in the world - where colour fish glide past the floor-to-ceiling-windows that reveal the beauty of the reef. Huvafen Fushi, a multi-award winning island resort located only 35 minutes by speedboat from Male, offers 44 naturally modern bungalows and the luxury of 'suites at sea,' traditional Maldivian sailboats fitted out with modern indulgences and the chance to escape and relax in a secluded island paradise in the middle of the Indian Ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Huvafen Fushi Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Huvafen Fushi Hotel Huvafen Fushi Island
- Huvafen Fushi Male
- Huvafen Fushi Hotel Male
- Huvafen Fushi Maldives Huvafen Fushi Island