This place is simply heaven on earth. I have always been cynical of photographs of the Maldives. The picture perfect seas, white sandy beaches, smiling faces all come across as too good to be true and yet what we saw and enjoyed exceeded everything we had thought. No pictures or my limited command of the English language can do justice to what an outstanding area of natural beauty the Maldives are.
My husband and I have one week a year when we are able to go away without our children (thank you to Granny) so this week is extra special. We absolutely can't get it wrong with the location and the hotel because the time alone is so precious. I spent ages deliberating and speaking to excellent travel agents who have visited the area and quite quickle the choice was narrowed down to either the Reethi Rai or Huvafen Fushi. I am sure that you will have a great holiday in either but what decided it for us was that Huvafen is quieter, smaller and not really geared up for children. It does not have an obvious children's club and we saw a baby or 2 when we were there, that was it.
We were met off the plane by a Huvafen Fushi representative and swept off in the speed boat to paradise. Huvafen is an hour ahead of Male time to allow you to have a slightly later sunset which works perfectly so we adjusted to 'island time' instantly. We booked an Ocean Bungalow and I am really glad that we did. Firstly the Maldives is about the only place where you can stay over the water and it is something very special to be lying on your deck with the water all around you and feeling very relaxed whereas when you stay at most other beach resorts you have no choice but to stay on the beach so we felt that you should make the most of the opportunity to stay over water. Secondly, the Ocean side is the sunset side of the Island and is totally magical to watch. Lastly the Lagoon side is where all the boats come and go so on the Ocean side you had hardly any interruption to your view or day. It is considerably more than staying in other rooms but we really felt it worth every penny (note this is not a cheap holiday and you can't pretend otherwise).
The food was delicious. Lots and lots of clean healthy food, particularly at the restaurant Raw which is open for lunch and we also loved having freshly made pizza with our feet in the sand under the tree. Only wish is that the main restaurant could incorporate some of the raw food for dinner as it was delicious and light. Breakfast is a total feast. Think fruit buffet, bread buffet, egg chef, curry buffet......... whatever you wished for you could have. We definitely woke up to have it!
The other revelation for us was scuba diving. We have never been before and learned whilst we were out there. We even went scuba diving with the mantra rays which were in the area and the experience will last a life time. Special thanks to the dive team.
This hotel exceeded in so many areas. The room was massive. A lounge area with viewing floor to the sea below, the world's most enormous bed set up to look straight out to the ocean, ipod docking station with ipod installed with thousands of songs, complimentary water, a bath that was so big it took around 20 minutes to fill and which I spent more than 20 minutes in with a view straight over the ocean, your own plunge pool and his and her sun loungers on the deck. We also enjoyed strolling up to the main pool and relaxing there. Here the sun loungers were 'double beds' which was
wonderful. The moment you arrived you were greeted with towel, water and water spritzer for the face. Before you can even think of anything they have!
This is a very relaxing, unpretentious sort of holiday. We didn't wear shoes the whole time, went to dinner in swimsuits and sarongs and there was no manic night club atmostphere. If dressing up for dinner is your thing and you like the glitz of gilded hotels then this is not the holiday for you. If you wish to recharge in absolute perfection, relax the moment you arrive to the moment you leave then don't hestiate to choose Huvafen Fushi. Yes it is expensive but worth every penny.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Float at infinity's edge. Descend stairs for underground wine. Come out of your shell in the depths of an underwater spa room - the first and only in the world - where colour fish glide past the floor-to-ceiling-windows that reveal the beauty of the reef. Huvafen Fushi, a multi-award winning island resort located only 35 minutes by speedboat from Male, offers 44 naturally modern bungalows and the luxury of 'suites at sea,' traditional Maldivian sailboats fitted out with modern indulgences and the chance to escape and relax in a secluded island paradise in the middle of the Indian Ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Expedia and TripOnline SA so you can book your Huvafen Fushi Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Huvafen Fushi Hotel Huvafen Fushi Island
- Huvafen Fushi Male
- Huvafen Fushi Hotel Male
- Huvafen Fushi Maldives Huvafen Fushi Island