Heron's Cove(Ballyshannon)
Creevy Pier Hotel(Ballyshannon)
US$103
Holland House B&B(Ballyshannon)
US$99
Assaroe Falls Apartments(Ballyshannon)(Great Value!)
US$71
Erne Manor B&B(Ballyshannon)
Priceline
Cavangarden House(Ballyshannon)
  • Free Internet
Bun an Tsruthain(Ballyshannon)
Randwick B&B(Ballyshannon)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsold stylelovely hotelfunction roomcoach tourbreakfast and dinnerfamily run hotelbit outdatedlovely atmosphererory gallagherold world charmroom was largehotel is situatedpersonal touchfriendly welcomelast weekendyogurtmary
Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

After having read the last review I had to leave a comment as I stay here very regularly for work purposes. I find the previous comments do not atall reflect on my experience of this hotel over the past 5 years that I have gotten to know this place. The management are very professional and helpful at all times. The rooms which I have stayed in (i think ive seen them all over the years)are perfectly clean, and there is definitely NO DOG walking around the hotel creating a smell. The hotel is furnished in old style traditional furnishings which I feel creates a lovely atmosphere. I'm very happy with this hotel

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
6  Thank Fionn O

Fionn,

Thank you very much for your lovely comments - it was very nice of you to do so and we especially liked to hear the views of someone of your young age- It is encouraging.
We look forward to having you at another time

Reviewed 17 September 2017

After one terrible night, the only description of this hotel on Tripadvisor that seems to be accurate is the word “old” and my advice is AVOID, AVOID, AVOID at all costs especially if you suffer with lung problems or allergies. This place needs to be knocked down & replaced with a modern building & new management. After check in I went out for dinner & spoke to a restaurant worker who said that they would never stay at the Imperial because it is a filthy place with overpriced rooms. Had I known this beforehand I would have slept in my car.
Having started a long day touring beginning on the east coast of Ulster, all hotels in Derry & Donegal were full because of a car rally so Imperial was the nearest available place to stay before it got too late for dinner. Behind the drab front door one walks into the reception which looks like an old people's home and judging by the smell, furniture & carpets, it probably has not been renovated since the 1950s.
Checking in was difficult as the owner kept answering my question before last & things got more confused when another 80 year old who may have been either a guest, friend or staff member, started interfering in the conversation. As I went up the poorly lit stairs to my room, I mentioned the awful smell of cigarette smoke to someone, who explained that smokers go outside and leave the door open before he closed the door. After walking through the depressingly drab dark corridors I entered my room which, just like the rest of the hotel, was like an old people's home with tatty 1950s furniture and there was a very strong smell of dust. When I took off the bed cover the sheet was full of small white lumps which looked like remnants of a pattern that has almost completely worn off in the wash over the course of 60 years. The bathroom towels had yellow marks & the sink had separate taps, one cold & the other scalding hot. The view out the window was of the patched up ground floor flat roof. Given the communication difficulties with the owner at check in there was clearly no point in complaining or asking for a refund so I quickly headed out before all the restaurants closed.
After dinner I dreaded going back to my dirty, depressing, dusty room so I stayed in Dicey’s bar until 2:30am. I did not want my skin to touch the bedding so I used my coat as a bed cover and slept with my clothes on. After just 4 hours sleep I woke up at 7am coughing with my mouth & throat full of dust which stayed with me for the next 4 days. I did not risk stepping in the shower and drying myself with the yellow stained towels so I went down the stairs for breakfast which still had a strong smell of cigarette smoke. The hotel had hosted what seemed like an old time dancing event and at breakfast I was the only one of about 30 guests under 70 which probably explained why the hotel had been quiet during the night.
Given the dirty state of the hotel, I was only going to have a cup of tea but as there was scrambled egg on the menu I thought I could not go wrong, however as I finished it I found a hair under the egg. I headed back up the dark smoke filled stairs & depressing corridors, packed my bag & left before my cough got any worse.
I can not understand how this hotel has so many excellent reviews however the picture of the owner’s dog lying on the chaise longue with its bowl ready to slobber its food & water all over the furniture & carpet just about sums up the attention to hygiene & cleanliness at this place. Perhaps it had also been lying on the towels in my room which may explain the yellow marks. Indeed some of the pictures that are supposed to be from travellers are clearly airbrushed. Overall it’s an absolute scandal to charge people money to stay here and I certainly will never return.

Room Tip: Drive past this hotel and keep going
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
6  Thank Goldhawk
Management response:Responded 4 October 2017

Thank you for your own personal review on our hotel and we sincerely apologise to you if our hotel was not up to your liking, although your comments in our opinion border on being vindictive and begrudging rather than being constructive.
You are going under the guise of Goldhawk and you sent this report 3 months to the date in which you stayed.

On Saturday night the 17th June from memory, when you came into the hotel at approx 9.p.m., you did not have a booking or may have just rang prior to arrival. Also from memory, when you were at the desk, you were endeavouring to get a lower price for the 2 rooms for your friend and yourself and this we might add was done in a very demeaning manner - You wrote your name stated that you were Irish on your registration card, but did not give a full address, but when asked to do so you gave it
You paid €180-00 for the 2 rooms -one a small double room and one a larger double room for bed and breakfast. Also from memory we advised you of restaurants that may have been open. There was an elevator and an adequately lit stairs to your room and there was a window at the end of your corridor..

Dorrian's Imperial hotel is a traditional family run Irish Hotel, built in 1781 in what is now a Heritage Town . The comments on the drab door - a large white painted panel door and the 'restaurant worker' does not warrant comment, albeit, the begrudgery may have emanated from the latter.

We have a real smokeless coal fire lit most evenings, this can sometimes cause some dust, but it is cleaned again in the morning.

Our hotel is a non-smoking hotel and our dining - room was non-smoking, many years before the total ban on smoking came into law.
On the night you stayed, we had over 40 Ballroom Dancers ageing from 40-85 years
of age , some of them used to go out to smoke leave the door open and at times if there was a breeze, the smell of smoke did come into the ground floor of the hotel, but this was not on a constant basis and the guests were not breakling the law and certainly did not go on past mid-night.

Our Sheets are hired and laundered by a Company, which services many hotels in Donegal and N. Ireland and they certainly would be clean. A mattress protector which would be of a light-weight towelling fabric is over the mattress that is
a deep blue and cream stripe in colour - also there is no furniture in this bedroom or any other bedroom over 17 years, but it is a classic style furniture -rather than a yuppie style.

We have never had a customer complaint about our towels, which are white and laundered in-house - we cannot comment on your complaint, as we were not given the opportunity to see for ourselves, but should it be as you stated and we would be surprised, we do apologise.

Your breakfast, if what you say is right, we apologise for this, but again it is a pity that you did not bring this to the notice of one of the breakfast servers.

We did have a pet dog 8-10 years ago --- and a guest dog lover wished to take a picture of her on the Chaise Lounge with her bowl of water and this we allowed her to do so thus the photo.

As mentioned, we had a Ballroom Dancing Week-End and their ages can vary from 40-85 years of age plus a few other guests, their ages, we do not recall. You may discriminate against older people, but we certainly do not . In all our years of business, we have never received comments such as yours re ageism and again from memory, we would have deemed both your age and that of your friend to be at least in the 40 year range - it beggars belief.... Your comment on 'Air Brushing' again does not warrant a comment.

You are Irish, perhaps a Donegal name and maybe perhaps a Ballyshannon connection.

Finally, again we are sorry that our Hotel was not up to your liking and as you appear to be aware of this before you went out for your meal, you could and should have mentioned it to us and we would certainly would have refunded your Visa in full, and you could have gone elsewhere, as there were plenty of rooms available in the Ballyshannon area. Even when you came back from the Pub at 2.45.a.m., you did not mention it.

It is a pity that this matter could not have been resolved when there was opportunity.

Reviewed 9 September 2017

I stayed here in Aug 2017 as part of a Coach Tour.
I had a lovely double room with excellent en suite facilities. I also had tea/ coffee facilities which were well appreciated after our long journey and before we went for dinner. The food was lovely, though being from Cork, we were not used to the wetter potatoes.... It is certainly a hotel I would come back to as the Staff and Mary, the owner, were all so nice and welcoming.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank EmerCork_Ireland

Emer,

Thank you very much for your lovely comments.
It was very nice of you to take the trouble to write to us and we appreciate it very much.

We look forward to having you with us at another time.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

The original building dates back to the 1700's, but has been expanded and modernized over the years. You still get a real room key. The rooms are a nice size, and the bedding is comfortable. When it is cooler at night, a nice fire is slighted in the lobby fireplace. Staff are friendly and easy to deal with if there is a problem. There is free wi-fi, but it can be slow at times. If you like a place with interesting furnishings and architetural detail, you will love this place. It is probably my favorite so far in Ireland. Word of warning, the roads and sidewalks in Ballyshannon are very steep in places, sort of like San Francisco. When it is chilly, you will find a nice fire in the fireplace in the lobby.

Room Tip: One away from the front would be much more quiet. Crowds gather out front to talk and smoke. No a/c as far as I know.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 4 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely report.
It is so much appreciated by all of us and we are delighted that you all had a very nice time here as well Reports such as yours are so encouraging.

Again many thanks for your lovely review.

Reviewed 1 August 2017

Stayed in Dorrian's for 3 nights with my husband, 2 kids and or wee dog! Yes our dog was allowed to stay and was treated like a queen, just like how they treat all their guests! Everyone was lovely, nothing was any bother and our room was the biggest room I have ever stayed in and was very clean! Thank you for our Ballyshannon experience and allowing us to enjoy our break as a family!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Jacqui T

Jacqui,

Thank you for your lovely report. It was very nice of you to go to the trouble of writing to us.
we hope to have you all back on another occasion.