See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 May 2016

Stayed here on a stag and the place was very clean. The manager was very helpful and polite throughout. Location is also perfect. Only issue I would have, and this would be minor, is that the shower isn't great.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank C M
Reviewed 15 April 2016 via mobile

I stayed here with a group of girls, we were going out in carrick and wanted somewhere clean that we could all be together. It was perfect, walking distance to all the pubs, we had a few drinks in the hostel before hand! Was brilliant! Staff very helpful, Highly recommend it! DEFINITELY be back!

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank goreilly6
Reviewed 8 April 2016

I recently stayed in the B-SIDE hostel for a stag-do and would not recommend it to anyone. The place was clean, but that's only because the owner never left the place crawling about on his hands and knees cleaning. I'll admit there was some drink spilled, bottles laying around and an odd glass smashed. The owner landed into the hostel at 7:30am on the Saturday morning going mad saying he needs the place kept clean as he has another stag coming to stay. So we lifted all the bottles and cleaned up. We went out on Saturday night and came back to find our stuff being thrown everywhere and the owner and his crazy wife shouting we have to get out because someone broken a pound shop picture frame. I'm sure this should have been covered with the €400 deposit. I don't really know what he expected, but a bunch of lads on a stag-do are going to be drinking not laying in playing bingo.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
4  Thank MittyAFC
Reviewed 16 August 2015

After a long day's cycling from Mullingar and anxious for a dry bed (as opposed to a wet tent) we arrived at B-Side Hostel and rang the number posted on the door. We were told that there was no room at the inn but there was the chance of a cancellation. We were told we would be called back within the hour and low and behold, ten minutes later, we were rung and told that we had two beds in the dormitory...to ourselves!

Needless to say, we were delighted. The hostel manager that weekend--the owners were away; I think his name was Jason?--was very welcoming. My daughter and I had an eight bunk dorm room to ourselves and earplugs were kindly provided. (Carrick-on-Shannon is a lovely town but has become something of a stag/hen party capital. The earplugs were not needed however. Carry your own blinders if you want to avoid viewing the parade of inflatable phalli and tutu-bedecked grooms-to-be.)

The room was spotless, the bunk beds comfortable. The kitchen, bathrooms and common room were also spotless. Overall, it is an excellent place to stay and close to everything in Carrick. They also seem to screen visitors so they are not over run by stag and hen revelers which is only a good thing.

The only criticism I would have is that there was no one staying in the hostel in the evening and thus no one to contact to ask for more toilet paper as both bathrooms ran out. This was not an issue for us as we were carrying our own for camping but would have been a major bummer (no pun intended) had we not been. We paid fifty quid for our room--not too bad I suppose, considering it was high season and we had it to ourselves--and would expect toilet paper in the bathrooms at least.

Also, (and I'm nitpicking here but I liked the place and want it to do well) a jug of milk and some tea bags and instant coffee are fairly standard for hostels around Europe and Ireland--several on the Ring of Kerry put on local eggs and cereal or toast; a shout out to Sive Hostel in Cahirsiveen!--and wouldn't go amiss here either, but I got the impression that B-Side is new and still working out the hospitable kinks.

Overall, a fine place and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ring ahead and don't be on a stag...
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Kathleen C, Owner at B-Side Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2015

Hi Kevin

Thank you for your kind review and we are glad you have a comfortable stay at our Hostel. We apologise that no tea/coffee etc was not available at the time of your stay that was an oversight on our behalf as we always have tea/coffee available but we will take it on board for future reference.

As sometimes there is no one connected to the hostel on site after hours all the time we do explain to our guests that if they need anything e.g extra toilet roll that we are just a phone call away at any time but if this was not explained properly to you i do apologise.

Again we would like to thank you for staying with us Kevin and we hope to see you again soon

Kind Regards
B-Side Hostel

Reviewed 20 May 2015

The hostel was very clean, ample facilities, spotless bathrooms and very friendly staff, parking was also provided. High attention to detail. Great value for money, however despite this the place did not feel cheap. Highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: All Rooms Very clean and spacious.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends