“Southwest Ireland Golf Trip”

Waterville Golf Links
Reviewed 31 August 2017

Course number five of eight we played. This was a very playable links course. The holes set up so that you could see what the course gave you. No hidden traps or craters in the middle of the fairway. Caddies were very good. Very nice layout. I could play this course daily. Lots of fun and good views.

2  Thank Danny L
"great courses"
"great staff"
"stunning scenery"

Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

2nd best course I have played in Ireland. A truly great course. Played on Monday August 21 in a mist but too many memorable holes not to be impressed. Nice touch with the tribute/statue to Payne Stewart and photos of his Aussie wife, Tracey.
Service in the clubhouse was excellent!!

2  Thank PeterMcL59
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

Best Irish coffee in the area. Lovely setting overlooking the golf course Refurbished club house is nicely decorated and the staff are friendly and efficient

Reviewed 6 August 2017

I played Waterville recently, and was curious to see what justified their recent 25% hike in green fees, which now makes them more expensive than the local classics of Ballybunion, Lahinch and Tralee. After looking at their glossy website, I decided to include Waterville in my 12-game tour of Ireland's West Coast.
First up, the greens were very slow. Maybe 8-9 on the stimp. This removed any sense of links play as bump-and-runs just stopped, and we could all lob wedges into the greens at will. The fairways were also in poor shape. Lots of unfilled divots, and many bare patches possibly affected by water run-offs. My partners were often moving their balls to find some playable grass on the fairway.
Finally, the architecture. To be fair, the 4 holes bordering the lake and ocean were very nice. There are another 4 good holes that take advantage of their sand hills with good doglegs and elevation changes, but that's it. The other 10 holes are very flat and bland. A few of their par 4s are very straight and quite repetitive with a common design formula- ie place a few bunkers at driver length, a couple more around the green, and there's the hole. For the price they charge, they should have 18 strong holes, not 9.
I think the big issue here is the quality of the course for the price. If they were competing with Dingle or Dooks, this article would be different. But they have this opinion that they are better than the major courses in the area. When I walked off the 18th greens of Ballybunion, Lahinch and Tralee, I wanted to go straight back to the 1st Tee. When I finished my round at Waterville, I felt like someone had picked my pocket.
On balance, the American couple I played with seemed to enjoy themselves. They probably liked the many tributes to American golfers adorning the walls of the clubhouse, and also the excellent statue of Payne Stewart by the putting green. But my assessment is this course relies on good marketing and the American golf tourist market to compete, because the course itself does not compare to the other " high profile" choices in the South West.

3  Thank swans27
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

I also played this fabulous Golf course in July.
Like many true golfers have mentioned it is an amazing place, it's challenging , it has breath talking scenery, and it's the soul of golf, and it's very addictive.

The Greens were just as I expected they would be, firm very true and very fast.
Complements on Mike and his crew.

After each round fighting with the wind, rain and all the elements this course has to offer Wow! that's real golf at it's best I soaked up the club house atmosphere.
The food was plentyful, and I really enjoyed your Club Sandwich.
There's lots of history hanging on the walls, and the views from the balcony..... just come and see for yourself.

I would like to thank Noel ( Secretary Manager) and all your friendly, helpful staff for making my stay a very special one. (I felt like part of your family)

I can truly recommend this traditional Links course and I will be defiantly returning again.