“Wonderful Service and great food”
Review of Restaurant Sage

Restaurant Sage
Ranked #4 of 113 Restaurants in Letterkenny
Price range: US$23 - US$41
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Sage is located in Letterkenny directly across from An Grianan Theatre. At Sage our ethos is to provide our guests with the best local produce in surroundings that are warm, friendly and welcoming. We cater for all tastes and sizes of groups. Our front of house is led by Garvan our owner and our culinary team is led by Head Chef Helen Burke. Both have a flair and passion for food and service that we hope you will return many times to experience.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Was part of a group and the thing that stood out for me (and the group) was firstly the personal touch of the service and secondly the quality of the food. Had eaten here before but I have to say this was a much improved overall experience. Will definitely return soon.

1  Thank Niceshoes22

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

100% gorgeous . Every single thing we ordered was homemade from scratch. Staff attention was also very good. Helpful friendly service. Would not hesitate to return to Sage. Thank you from our family !

2  Thank MichelleBonner
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I heard about this restaurant from the local people in Letterkenny. One of my guiding principles is to ask the locals where they eat, doing so will get you some great recommendations. Just be sure to ask for the type of cuisine you're seeking out.

Chief chef, Dessie Coll, at Sage restaurant has traveled the world working as a chef for various bands, including Canadian, Justin Beiber.He is now putting all his energies into Sage Restaurant in Letterkenny with very good results! I was delighted when he came my table to chat for a while while I was having my meal.

He has an inventive selection of vegetarian and vegan choices, as well as fish and meat choices. I've noted a healthy trend towards vegan and vegetarian cuisine and most restaurants offering traditional fare will also have vegan and vegetarian choices, so there must be a growing demand for this type of cuisine. Surprisingly, even in Uruguay (a strong meat eating culture) I found several restaurants which specialized in vegan and vegetarian meals.

At Sage I had the vegetarian burger with the sweet potato fries and a side green salad that had an interesting addition of pomegranate seeds, all washed down with a local Donegal beer. All was very good, and the portion was large enough that I wasn't even hungry for dessert, to my dismay, as the choices looked to be delicious. I highly recommend this restaurant for some very creative and interesting cuisine, whether you're a carnivore, omnivore, vegetarian or vegan!

3  Thank Elaineandree
Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

Felt very welcome on a recent visit to Sage. Food was filling and very reasonably priced. I really recommend here to anyone visiting Letterkenny.

3  Thank CelticSpirit1
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

Myself and my hubby and parents dined here on sat night and I have to say we were all so disappointed.

Beautiful restaurant.. the decor is class but the staff and food is such a let down for the price you are paying.

My soup was so thick it was disgusting , I couldn’t eat it. Other starters were ok but have had a lot better.

So the main courses. 2 of us ordered fillet steak and the other 2 ordered the supreme of chicken.. the chicken was pure cold, it was like eatting a cold chicken salad. Steaks were ok but lacked flavour .. please note your side ordered are not included in the price.. so a fillet steak is 29.95 and then u have to pay an additional 3.50 for your side order! So 33.50 for a steak !!! It’s not a Michelin star restaurant for gods sake!!!

Staff runnin around not knowing what there doing . We were finished our meal and finishing our wine when the girl came over and said “ do use want your bill”!!!!!!!!
I think if we were ready to leave we were well able to ask for the bill, it’s not like they were that busy that they needed our table !

Very very disappointed and will not be back.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sage s, Manager at Restaurant Sage, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Dear Sir/Madam, We at Sage would like to Apologise personally for the disappointing and underwhelming experience you and your family had with us on Saturday night. We would also like to take this opportunity to explain why we feel that your experience wasn’t even close to the level of service and standard we aim to achieve. In the past couple of weeks Sage has gone through some major changes, We are currently in a transitional period from old to new management, and we have been working tirelessly to try and make this crossover as smooth and efficient as possible. As well as changing all of our menus and our hours of business we have also reviewed and amended all of our prices and we now feel that our new menu to be launched this Friday the 4th of May is much more realistically and reasonably priced. It has been a very tough few weeks for us, but we have made huge progress, however we do still accept that this transition should not have had such a negative effect on your evening and again we cannot apologise enough for that. Every customer that comes to Sage is every bit as important as the last and whether your just popping in for a quick coffee and some cake or spending a nice relaxing evening with Family or friends we will endeavour to make your experience as comfortable and memorable as we possibly can, we greatly appreciate all of your custom and support and we take all of your opinions, concerns and suggestions onboard and will always respond to any feedback whether positive or negative. If you feel you would like to contact management directly we would greatly appreciate the chance to talk to you in person, and invite you to contact us via phone by calling 0749102269 or via email at restaurantsagelk@gmail.com.
Yours sincerely