Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews authentic experience bamboo hut dia ama village grass
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 July 2019 via mobile

We had a great experience spending some days with diya, ama, agu, minia and midaw. Our kids really loved the family and we had a great welcome. We spend two nights there and enjoyed discovering the dialy life of a great akha family.
If you want to switch off your phone and get some time with real human relations, this is the place. They accepted us immediately and we all played much with all the kids and the grand mother as well. There was no equivalent in our trip and will remain a great souvenir for long.

But I do not rate this as excellent because the price is just hard to understand. More than 8000 baht for two nights, one day. We thought there would be some special activites or something else that would justify this but... maybe they lack people? Maybe the agency takes too much? I do not know. But for more than the price of a luxury hotel we had a bamboo hut and no special activity. The family does not have much money either...

We all love them much and would love to help them more next time. Hope all the money goes to them.
This was just my feedback to remain a bit more objective on this very human guesthouse :)

Date of stay: July 2019
Akhajulyah G, Directeur général at Akhajulyah Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2019

Thank you very much for your positive feedback.
I am happy to read that your stay was a great human experience. This is precisely the purpose of Akhajulyah and my main wish: offering people a total immersion in a life that they wouldn’t be able to access or even to imagine. All this without other tourists around and the feel of a very exclusive stay with a very welcoming family.

There is no agency behind it. I discovered this village and this family 15 years ago as part of a volunteering education program to help the village. I fell in love with the family and the place and decided to create this homestay with the objective to give a sustainable income to the family.
I financed everything by myself: concept, construction of the huts, website, promotion, etc.

The 8000 Baht that you paid certainly covered a lot more than your three-nights-two-day stay on a full-board basis for 2 adults and 2 kids: the money went directly to the family to help them pay the education fees and cover cost of daily life.
I heard from Dya and yourself that you went to experience a real Akha ceremony in her Akha house. I'm pleased with that as this is a rare experience. You might have preferred to do the regular activities of fishing or experiencing the fields. But this really depends of the season and on the family duties.

The way to help them? Staying with them like you did.
Again, a big thank you.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

Thanks to Grand-ma, Dia and the children, we spent three wonderful days.
Their warmth and humanity was very powerful. There was no need to speak the same language.
I strongly recommend this to anyone who is looking for a fulfilling human experience, rich in ancestral traditions.
An experience never to be forgotten.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2016 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went there and we felt inlove with Akha, Jem, his beautiful girls and his whole family. They were welcoming, friendly and warm, always helping and authentic. We talked to the local monk who was teaching us how to meditate, played with the kids, learned about Akha culture, ate their amazing food and slept as close to the jungle as we wanted to. Looking forward to meeting them all again :) Blessings and love

Date of stay: October 2016
1  Thank Natalia N
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I did an incredible amount of research to find a home stay where the payment would go directly to the people that were working so hard to give you a real - not contrived hilltribe experience. Most in Chiang Mai are tours that pocket most of the money and don't benefit the people giving you the experience. Chiang Rai is much better and closer. Jems and his family (Akha), with the computer booking support of their dear friend Julie have put together an unforgettable true experience where you live, learn and stay an Akha way of life. From the walks in the fields and forests learning what is eaten and used, to cooking over open fire and learning handicraft, this is a true home stay. An evening of song and dance is also enjoyed on longer stays with family friends dressed in their traditional Akha clothing. The grass thatched, woven walled bungalow you stay in is basic with a 1 inch bed pad with sheet/blankets, clean and safe. The bathroom is NOT in your room but a very basic sit over urinal down the hill. So if you can't handle such basics and are squeamish about bugs (noise of bugs) and food you can't identify, this isn't the experience for you! BUT if you are open minded, eager to learn, and can appreciate this simple way of life and the love of the people that comes with it..I highly recommend!
A taxi can be arranged to pick you up right at the airport of Chiang Rai with a stop at the White Temple and will take you to the village center where Jems will meet you....and you meet many in the village if late in the day :)
This is an experience that really makes you appreciate the little things in life and puts a smile on your face. The countryside and views from your bungalow area are outstanding!

Date of stay: July 2014
Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank Niobe_B
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I know about Akhajulyah guesthouse from my friends who had a great time while they were in Thailand. The information of the Akha family and their guesthouse on the website are very interesting. And YES, I had an amazing time there.
I contacted Julie (the founder) and received a quick response from her. I was picked up from the airport by private car; one hour from Chiang Rai airport to the village, visit a white palace is a must. Beautiful terraced rice field, flourishing flowers can be found along the way and around the village. Be sure to bring a camera to capture their beauty when you visit. 4 days 3 nights living and enjoying Akha life: sleeping in a bamboo hut, learn how to harvest and grow rice in the rice field, cut bamboo tree to make furniture etc. A true experience and fun!!!
It is hard to say goodbye plus I was impressed and have a big suprise to know from Jems that Julie is running the business just to help out the Akha family (his family) and for the guests to make sure they have a real happy vacation with the local family without any profit. A special thanks to Jems, his family and Julie. Keep it up! I loved the food and I loved the people there who always had a smile on their face with full of love and a beautiful life. Absolutely, I will be back!!!

Date of stay: March 2014