“Very disappointing!”

Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Being local to the area and having heard of The Crown as being a gastro-pub, we arrived as a group of 4 adults and 6 children looking forward to eat after spending a pleasant couple of hours at nearby Basing House.

On arrival to the pub and to order drinks and food from the bar, my friend and I were ignored by the barman for several minutes as he continued his conversation with a local.

We ordered food from the children's menu, comprising of ham, egg & chips and fish and chips. We also ordered fish and chips for the adults.

The food arrived on literally 'burning hot' plates which was unsafe for the children to eat from. The adult's fish and triple-cooked chips was bland on taste and poor on portion-size being the same size as the children's meals. The batter on the fish was soft and fell apart leaving a fairly taste-less fish inside. The triple-cooked chips were undercooked and were not at all crispy on the outside. A purée of green peas put alongside it made it all unappealing both to the eyes and tastebuds!

In hindsight, we should have returned the food to the kitchen and left - but with the children hungry and thirsty we had to stay on.

We spoke and complained to the waiting staff, who apologised but did nothing to recompense our disappointment except to as whether we wanted to see the dessert menu?!!! In fairness the waiter did say he would forward on our comments to the chef.

All in all, a very disappointing meal in what is a lovely looking pub restaurant and local area. I spoke to another customer on a separate table who had also experienced the same poor standard of food as we were there and he commented that standards has slipped since the owners took on another pub restaurant and were prioritising on that now and not The Crown.

In conclusion, we would not visit again and I would advise that you save your time and money and eat at another pub restaurant, of which there are several all with a few minutes Drive of The Crown.

6  Thank Jon M

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

I had the Crown burger, my partner had Cornish fish goujons (not at all like fish fingers, in spite of their appearance!). Both were delicious and good value, and the Pure Ubu beer a great accompaniment.

Reviewed 30 July 2017

Was my first dinner at the crown and I'll never come back in this restaurant.
The worst pork belly I ever eat.
I think the chef should check what he put on plate. My pork belly was only fat without meat at all.
They manage to serve me other food and so I wait other 15 minutes for a burger with low quality as well. The meat was burn and taste of burn dirty grill...
I really want to know how is possible that michelin guide mention this place on his guide

8  Thank Fabio D
Reviewed 1 July 2017

Had meals here over the years and have always been excellent. But called in on Wednesday at 8.30pm on the way back from an unexpected visit so desperate for something to eat. There were tables empty in the restaurant and in the bar. But got told by the waiter they had 2 large parties coming in so couldn't accommodate us. Thought this a bit odd at the time as it was just gone 8.30pm. I did wonder afterwards if this was because they didn't want to serve anymore people. I was very upset afterwards as I felt fobbed off.

7  Thank KarenOfbasing
Reviewed 30 June 2017

Arrived on spec needing dinner on our way home. Front of house was efficiently welcoming, The menu was unsurprising, but done surprisingly well. Our meal was delicious, the portions a sensible size. The cheeseboard was fantastic - only 4 cheeses but each an absolute gem of flavour, served with an interesting selection of biscuits. We would definitely detour to go here again.