“Good stay”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights, great garden with kids play area and a lovey garden terrace, food was good and I would come back again.

Jean Pierre N, General Manager at Dog House Hotel Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for your lovely comments and we are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again next times

Reviewed 11 June 2018

Food was extremely poor!! For starters we had Prawn Cocktail with bloomer bread: this did not come with bloomer bread, there was just two piece of Kingsmill sliced bread out of a packet. The prawn cocktail sauce was plain and bland, the lettuce it sat on was unwashed and gritty. For the main course we had roast dinners: The potatoes tasted like they where deep-fired, the Yorkshires where hard, over cooked and unseasoned. Very very little gravy, we had to ask twice for extra gravy, both times they brought out a very tiny amount.
The service was very slow. At no point did the staff ask if our food was ok. Not even when it came to pay did they ask if we had a nice meal.
My overall view was, what a disappointment, what a waste of an evening and a incredible waste of money!

Jean Pierre N, General Manager at Dog House Hotel Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2018

Hello and thank you for your review. We are absolutely sorry to hear you did not have a great experience with us on your recent visit. We are always looking for ways to improve our service and your feedback has highlighted us our flaws thus exposing us improvement. We will continue to train and make sure all guests receive the best experience. Once more from myself and the team, we all say sorry

Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for the weekend and was a tale of two halves. The pub, restaurant and gardens are great, the food was excellent and bar selection really good. The bar was clearly understaffed (albeit helpful as they could be) the staff were also noticeably stressed and unfortunately vocal about their challenges.

The room we stayed in would have been comfortable had management taken the time to step into the shoes of their guests. No air conditioning or fans, TVs that didn’t work, dirty bathrooms and flaky paint and the same staff in the restaurant expected to double hat while management were holidaying at a peak busy weekend.

It’s s shame I can’t give more than 3 stars but hope that senior management take the opportunity to run a deep dive on this operation before it slips further.

Jean Pierre N, General Manager at Dog House Hotel Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2018

Hello Steve

Thank you fro your review. I am sorry you had to experience a poor service and hospitality at the Dog House. We are always looking at ways to improve our services to deliver expected standards. We will be reviewing our deployment and staffing levels, cleanliness and maintenance issues to make sure no other guest goes through similar experience. Once more thank you for your review and hopefully see you again in the future.

Regards

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed a good meal. Service is fine. Fair choice of meals and drinks etc. Ambience not too bad etc

Jean Pierre N, Manager at Dog House Hotel Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2018

Thank you very much for your review. It comes with great pleasure to know that you enjoyed yourself at our establishment. We look forward to seeing you again and hope next time we get a full five star rating.

Thanks

Reviewed 24 May 2018

I visited the Black Hound with a few friends on Tuesday evening 22nd May, the front of house manager was very welcoming and helpful. Out of our group, two meals had to be sent back because what they ordered was still frozen and had obviously been microwaved (Chicken Pie & Steak Pie). The manager did handle the situation well, however was let down again by the kitchen when two Chicken Pies were sent back a good 25 minutes later – another disappointment! I had the lasagne, which was okay – however I was still hungry and decided to get a side of Chicken Goujons. When my side arrived (probably 20 minutes or so after I ordered) biting into the first piece wasn’t quite as I expected, a soft texture very different from the standard crispy goujon texture one is used to. The meat inside the breadcrumbs looked cooked (completely deceived!), however it was a microwave job again! The subsequent morning wasn’t pleasant, severe food poising symptoms were evident! After talking with one of the group who also had the Chicken Goujons, they agreed that it was undercooked and raw! I did call in on my way back home and notify a member of staff my displeasure. I am very disappointed, not just with the fact I’ve lost a day or two in bed but that obvious issues we had earlier on with frozen and uncooked food didn’t send alarm bells to the kitchen to get their act together. I hope no one else has to go through this experience and changes are made in basic cooking and hygiene practices.

Thank you for your review and we are very and ashamed we put you through this experience. Please contact me on 5247@greeneking.co.uk let us discuss further if you can.

Regards