“Disaappointing”

Ranked #10 of 52 Restaurants in Cobham
Price range: US$14 - US$41
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Overlooking the delightful Downside Common, The Cricketers is a beautiful pub full of cosy nooks and crannies for a quiet pint or leisurely lunch. Serving a delicious menu full of seasonal favourites with a French twist. From our wild mushroom tart to pheasant sausages, rich, authentic coq au vin, tartiflette the list of gorgeousness goes on and on! Please note that if you are unable to find a reservation at your preferred time, please contact us directly, via email or telephone, as we may be able to squeeze you in. We continue to be cashless and therefore only accept card payment. You no longer need to book a table if you are visiting our bar, simply drop by and we look forward to welcoming you and your guests. Our great British weather can be a little unpredictable at times. Whilst our outside seating is covered with shared heating, we recommend you wrap up so you are as cosy as possible.
Reviewed 12 August 2021

Rather underwhelmed by our lunch at the Cricketers. Very noisy restaurant due to semi open plan kitchen hatch, loud music, echoing room making it almost impossible to converse without raising your voice. Not relaxing! Food no more than average, but on the whole not bad value for location.

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (654)

Reviewed 12 August 2021 via mobile

We visited this pub for lunch whilst on a visit to family having been there many years ago.

Fortunately it was a sunny afternoon and we were able to sit in the garden under the awning to enjoy an excellent lunch. All necessary Covid precautions were in place.

Food was really delicious with good service. We left feeling very spoilt and will visit again when in the area.

Date of visit: July 2021
Reviewed 12 August 2021

It was a real pleasure to be eating Sunday lunch in a pub again, after so long. (This was our first visit here.) It's an attractive old building, with plenty of space inside and pretty outside seating areas. The car park is huge.
The roasts were great, with nicely-cooked veg, but came with just two potatoes each, which I thought a bit miserly, so I cheekily asked for more. My request was met with perfect politeness and a willingness to comply. In fact, our helpful waiter asked if there was anything else I'd like, so I asked for more cauliflower cheese and more gravy, as well.
For the future, I think it would be a good idea to serve a jug of extra gravy on the side, as a matter of course, as many other pubs do. And three potatoes, or even four - again, as most other places we've tried like to do. The gravy was particularly delicious, and I tried to work out what the different flavours were.
I regretted being quite so greedy for the main course, however, when I saw one of my favourite puddings, rhubarb crumble, on the desserts menu. In the end, we shared one between us and it was the best I've had for a long time. The perfect ratio of crumble to fruit (these things are vitally important!) and nice big pieces of fruit, as well - not just a sloppy mush, as we've had elsewhere. There was a lovely slight hint of lemon in there, too, which balanced the flavours beautifully.
I'm sure we will be back for another go; not least because I want a whole crumble to myself, next time!

Reviewed 12 August 2021 via mobile

Excellent lunch, varied menu and very tasty food.
Staff all very friendly and helpful.
We sat outside on newly refurbished patio(after Covid) which was perfect and charming.

1  Thank 347gillianm
Reviewed 2 August 2021 via mobile

There was no decent ale on sale again. Even the landlord has gone. Am not going to be forced to drink their standard keg beer. Prefer to go elsewhere for a decent pint of real ale. Camra would be dismayed as it's a lovely pub on a village green.