US$172
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Casablanca Inn(Monte Gordo)
US$140
Casa Da Praia(Monte Gordo)
US$118
Alcazar Hotel & SPA(Monte Gordo)
Travelocity
  • Beachfront
  • Bar/Lounge
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstowels changedcleaned every daysea fronthalf boardfish or meatsaladquiet resortevening mealbars and restaurantslovely hotelyogurthoneyfloorbalconycleanlinessreceptionistmiles
Reviewed 31 December 2017

We chose this hotel as part of an Easyjet Holiday so the range of available hotels was limited. I did check the details on other hotel booking sites and it looked suitable but alarm bells rang on our arrival when we noticed the worn and filthy state of the carpet in the corridors and the rotting frame around the bathroom door.
It is in a good position, quite near to the beach and the sea front and town center and the room was comfortable, if a little dated, and spotlessly clean. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. I normally choose rooms with facilities to make a hot drink but took a chance this time, which was my mistake but I do think that a hotel should at least supply drinking water in the price.
They seemed to be operating with the minimum number of staff and it was often a long wait to be attended at the bar due to the bar staff also working in the restaurant which brings me to the food.
Breakfast was all cold and quite minimal in choice, cold meat and cheese being processed (square shaped). Dinner was little better, with a fish or meat choice supported by rice, pasta, frozen veg and always skinny oven chips, even on Christmas Eve & Christmas Day. They did however, make an effort to provide some fresh vegetables (same skinny chips) and a wider variety of salads and desserts on those two days. The 'hot' dishes were almost always luke warm and not helped by the plates being cold. In contrast the small plates for desserts were often piping hot, fresh from the dishwasher!
I was unfortunate enough to find a piece of glass in my dessert and after some investigation, the manager explained that it had come from a glittery table decoration, which had seen better days. The quality of the meat dishes was often poor, in fact the turkey was quite obviously pre-packed with preservatives that had altered its texture - not good. We resorted to eating at other establishment for three of our seven night stay.
The roof top pool and solarium were not usable. At this time of the year it doesn't see the sun as it is overshadowed by a 15 story high apartment block and the bar/servery is also closed.
To add insult to injury, for three days prior to Christmas we were subject to constant drilling, sanding and hammering from the room directly above ours so resting during the day was out of the question.
I do have sympathy for the staff, who were all friendly and as helpful as they were able to be but they are let down by the owners who seem to be operating on a shoe string and without regard for the general comfort of their guests.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that fronts the street and not one that looks over the service road and is overshadowed by high rise buildings.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank somersetgirl011
Reviewed 25 December 2017

Arrived at 8.30pm. quick check in and off for evening meal which seems to be served until 10.00pm. had a first floor room above the reception area which was surprisingly quiet. The decor was dated but the twin beds and pillows were very comfy. The balcony was a bit of a non event however it got sunshine in the morning so okay for drying clothes.ask for a room facing the front for a view onto square.I found the staff to be very pleasant all through my stay. The daily housekeeping was good and I found the food to be pretty good. There were only two main courses daily but as I enjoy fish I was well catered for. Breakfast was good as there was a wide choice and nobody would starve.The bar service was poor and I only saw a barman once in ten days. I think they could improve the bar as there is really nowhere to go out at night except other hotels. All in I enjoyed my visit and would return again as I though it represented value for money.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank travellerPenicuik
Reviewed 9 December 2017

This is a 3 star hotel just a block away from the beach. Bar area is fine I but only saw a barman twice during my stay. There seems to be a lot of money saving going on in this hotel, for example the pool area was closed due to refurbishment although they were working in that area back in April according to another review. No problem with not being able to swim in the rooftop pool as it would probably be too cold in November, but that was the only outside area this hotel has, so no chance of lazing with a drink in the sun. The interior is in urgent need of refurbishment - corridors are dark and gloomy and the carpets very old and scruffy. My room was ok but the heating wasn't working even though they kept saying it would be soon - it never got fixed! Only heating was to fill the sink or bath up with hot water to take the chill out of the air(another cost saving?). Now for the really bad part - food was not up to the standard of other hotels I have stayed in (and that's quite a few!). Breakfast - cold boiled eggs (never fried eggs), but there was a container of bacon, mushrooms and scrambled eggs but it never looked very nice. One morning there was no bread! So I politely complained and they said there would be some tomorrow. So I had to make do with a couple of tiny rolls. Then after I nearly finished my breakfast - hey presto! Some bread was brought out! (I wish they hadn't!). The "toaster" was actually a grill so not very effective, and this should be replaced with a proper toaster. Do management of hotels ever read this reviews? Dinner not much choice. The food area was small as was the restaurant. I sometimes wonder when I read reviews how people can honestly say things like "food was exceptional" or "food was great!". Really, this hotel's food was not. I was hungry during the day like I never normally am and always had to have a meal out at lunchtime to keep me going. Plus points? Staff were friendly and as helpful as they could be under the circumstances. And the location is good. But you really do get what you pay for. I would go back to Monte Gordo, but not to this hotel, it's worth paying a little extra for better food at least.

Room Tip: Only the upper rooms have been refurbished but you have to pay more for them! Haggle? If you don't like your room, insist on another!
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

Second visit here. Lovely hotel a stones throw from the beach. Very quiet resort but perfect for a relaxing break. The beach goes for miles and we spent a lot of time on it/walking along. Rooms are ok. Enough room for 2. Rooftop pool is small but nice. There is a terrace below and gets the sun most of the day. Meals are simple but adequate. Always found something to eat. Entertainment is geared more towards the oldies but there are plenty of bars round about with not too far to walk. Can't fault it though.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

Booked this holiday through a cheap holiday website for £200 per person with hotel bed and breakfast and flights wasn’t expecting much to be honest when we got there the place looked lovely with friendly reception staff always willing to help got upgraded to a comfort room which was a nice size and very clean with a balcony looking at the ocean the only bad points is there was never anyone on the bar to serve us drinks and the waiting staff were not the friendliest or the most helpful when asked if there would be more hot food put out for breakfast they bluntly said no which was confusing as breakfast was still on for an hour so settled with some toast then as we were on our way out the same waitress brought out the hot food I’d previously asked for very annoying would return to this hotel if I wanted a quiet week away as there’s not much night life going on in the town

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple