“A taste of Germany”

Elmars in the Valley
Ranked #7 of 19 Restaurants in Henley Brook
Cuisines: German, Australian
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Elmar’s In The Valley is one of the best restaurants in the Swan Valley. It is a family friendly venue that celebrates traditional German and Australian cuisine in the tranquil surrounds of the Swan Valley in Western Australia. It is the largest German restaurant in Perth and the Swan Valley’s biggest beer garden with over two acres of lush green lawn and shady gum trees. Elmar’s in the Valley opened in 2005 after the success of two smallgoods stores in Highgate and Myaree. Unlike other German restaurants, Elmar’s in the Valley is not a German themed restaurant, it is German!
Reviewed 4 June 2017 via mobile

I always liked Elmar's Bratwurst at the Kalamunda Sunday market....so finally my Girl and I decided to go to the source.
Elmar's gives you a wide selection of traditional German quisine in a lovely open restaurant which is strongly reminiscent of October fest.
Food is good honest fare (if a little pricey), and although I enjoyed the wurst platter, I've earmarked a few other dishes I'll return to sample.
Between you and me, it is really their selection of designer house beers I'm going back for....unique and VERY drinkable!!!

1  Thank Karl W
Diana T, Manager at Elmars in the Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2017

Hi Karl,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a positive and honest response. We are super excited to hear you loved our german beers and sausages. We look forward to welcoming you back to share some of our new dishes from our Winter menu.

Thanks, Elmar's Management

Reviewed 4 June 2017 via mobile

From the moment we arrived the security staff were rude, abrasive and disrespectful towards our entire group. When I tried to speak to them about the lack of service I was completely ignored and threatened to be evacuated from the premises, along with my whole group. I would not recommend Elmars to anyone and won't be coming back here, I regret wasting my money at a venue that doesn't value their customers. Utterly disappointed!
P.s the yellow chicken made me ill. Don't get the loaded fries :/

2  Thank Riley S

Hi Riley,

Thank you for sharing your review. We are disappointed to hear your experience at Elmar’s was not a pleasant one. We take our guest feedback very seriously, so please be advised that this will be passed on and shared with our team. We endeavour to ensure all our cliental are happy and have the ultimate Elmar’s experience. If you should choose to come back in the future, I hope your experience is must more enjoyable.

Thanks, Elmar's Management

Reviewed 24 May 2017

Its nice to go to a place where they truely understand and cater for special dietary needs. So good that lactose intolerance and celiac's is catered for with such a high quality meal. Just a bit expensive but not bad.

1  Thank Daryl C
Diana T, Manager at Elmars in the Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2017

Hi Daryl,

We are truly pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate your dietary requirements which meant that you to enjoy your recent visit to Elmar’s. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 18 May 2017

We first spent some time over drinks outside and then moved inside this great German restaurant. We ordered our meal and were more than delighted by the delicious food presented. The staff were wonderful. Would love to be there on a special occasion such as Octoberfest etc. There's great ambience in the restaurant and the outside area is large and well set up for such a festive event.

Diana T, Manager at Elmars in the Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2017

Hi Gem,

It sounds like you had a great time on your recent visit to Elmar’s. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your meals in the ambience of the restaurant and we look forward to welcoming you back to Elmar’s in the future.

Thanks, Elmar’s Management

Reviewed 14 May 2017

I so rarely write a negative review and was in two minds about this. However, I felt I had to take the time to add my thoughts. When visiting a restaurant we understand that the top reviews are probably friends and the bottom ones are mostly never going to be happy, so I take them with a grain of salt and read the saner opinions. In this case I wanted to make a comment in the hopes that this would add to that pool of honest ratings.

It is a beautiful venue with friendly staff. The beers are good.

The food served was disappointing and overpriced. These are separate points that also have meaning together. If the food had not been disappointing, it would not have been overpriced. If it hadn't been ridiculously overpriced, we would have been a bit more forgiving in our assessment of the food.

First the disappointment with the food. We ordered a large tasting platter to share and a main each. Everyone selected either the roasted pork shank or the slow cooked venison. We were warned about the large size of the main meals by the staff and that there was no bringing anything home, so just wanted a starter to sample the small goods that Elmars specialise in. The anticipation might have been setting them up for a fall. The sharing platter had us questioning if the order had been placed incorrectly as it did not match the description, price or expectations. The same dish served next to us had greater and lesser quantities of various items so there is a problem with consistency as well.

The roast pork, sauerkraut and potato dish, which I think is a specialty there, was enjoyed by those who ordered. The price seemed excessive, but as something that takes time and not available everywhere, you can let that go. The venison looked like it had been slopped in a prison mess line with an accompaniment of mashed potato. It was low effort and borderline insulting that it left the kitchen like that.

Coffee and dessert were fine.

So we come to the second point. They charge top dollar for a mixed, but mostly below average result. I guess I see value as the balance between quality and price. There are many places that I can get exceptional meals and a drink for $75 a head, so all that happens here is it becomes a place we were looking forward to visiting and enjoying, but will never visit again. They won't care or even know as there will always be a next customer.

It is a wasted opportunity.

2  Thank SarahSmith01
Diana T, Manager at Elmars in the Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2017

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on your recent visit to Elmar’s In The Valley. We are disappointed to hear your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express our opinion on some of the feedback you have given us.
A large tasting plate is a nibble sharing plate designed for two guests or a main meal for one. Only the highest quality product and freshest ingredients is used in Elmar’s traditional small goods recipes, all of which are produced at Elmar’s nostalgic Beaufort Street store. 99% of the Elmar’s Small goods range is gluten free and all small goods products are free of artificial preservatives, colours or flavours. The Beechwood used to smoke our small goods are imported direct from Germany and are pesticide free. I am sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations on this dish and for that we apologise. In regards to your response on the goulash meal served, A goulash is a wet dish and generally does not present well, however is very tasty and is geared towards a European style meal offered. It was paired with mashed potato and broccolini in this instance. It is a hearty dish and unfortunately a goulash cannot be dressed to impress. It is rather a taste item. So once again we apologise this did not meet your expectations. All feedback is taken seriously and to insinuate that we do not care is an insult to our integrity. The venue does take constructive feedback as an opportunity for growth and development and takes into consideration a customer perspective and from the venue itself. We do appreciate what the customer does say as without the interaction, we only have an empty shell- the walls of the restaurant. It is important that we review from all angles to obtain a true sense of the complaint as it was not received directly on the day. A shame as this could have been dealt with immediately.
All the points mentioned will be under review at our next meeting to introduce our winter menu and I will make it a priority to discuss all your raised concerns. This is due to take place within the next two weeks with a revision of the pricing to be a topic highlight.
We do hope that if you choose to visit in the future that your experience exceeds expectations and that your visit is a memorable one.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your review.
Elmar’s Management