3,077 results
All reviews nectar bar zephyr restaurant leda restaurant sea view atrium restaurant superior room plenty of sunbeds lovely hotel greek night premium package large hotel half board constantinou bros every night beach towels into paphos a la carte
Reviewed 12 July 2016 via mobile

We've visited this Athena Beach on a number of occasions over the past few years and although not the most modern or stylish hotel, what kept us returning was the customer service, lovely food and it's attention detail.
'However' this year was a bitter disappointment. We have always upgraded to the superior package which amongst other things includes dinning in one of the three a la carte restaurants every night and breakfast in one of the restaurants as apposed to the large soulless canteen. It also entitles you to a sea view and when possible late check out. On arrival you are checked in by the vip manager who's job it used to be to make sure your stay was a good one. We arrived to find that we were unable to book any of the al a carte restaurants as they were all full for our entire stay. When I asked where we were to eat we were told to join the queue in the canteen. I asked if they could make an an acceptation for my birthday on our last day and I was curtly told no! We had paid quite a bit extra for this so we were a little upset but there was nothing we could do so we joined the queue! As it happened the managers of the al a carte restaurants remembered us from our previous holidays and said they would squeeze us in where they could and so they kindly did for the rest of our stay although strangely there were never more than four or five tables booked on any given night? I heard a number of people complaining about not being able to get reservations in the restaurants despite having payed for them In advance with the superior upgrade but they did not seem to be getting far either. It was hard to get served at the bar sometimes waiting 15mins for a drink and the evening entertainment is pitiful. The hotel cliental has changed dramatically from previous years . What used to be a quite polite hotel is now full of Loud groups some using colourful language. On the day before we were due to leave I asked about late check out ( this has never been a problem in past years) I was told to return after 7.00pm when they would know who was arriving the next day. I returned at 7.00pm and told to come back an hour later then yet another hour later only to be told no, we are fully booked. I said this was a pity as we had a late airport transfer they did say they would extend our check out for another two hours which was some help but at no time were we offered use of a courtesy room there fore spending some 6 hours hanging about. When I told the manager we had not been happy with our stay and felt we had got little or none of the things we paid for with the superior package I was told I was being unreasonable. I Asked what our upgrade had paid for and was advised We had use of a safe and a superior room... The rooms as you can probably see from the Visitor photos look like they were last decorated in the late 70's early 80' and although clean are dog eared and shabby. The safe is Small with a huge key that looks like it belongs to a church door and not easy to hide on the beach as they key ring is also enormous and has your room number on it.
When on our last mornings breakfast The superior suites manager Asked had we enjoyed our stay this year we told her that we were disappointed and would not return she made some mildly sympathetic noises and said they were really busy. She advised that on our next visit we should email her all our dining choices three weeks in advance and she would make sure we got into the al a carte restaurants? It really seemed like no one from management couldn't care less. What a change, the hotel seems to have moved away from quality service and attention to detail to quantity and catering for huge rowdy parties and weddings. We will certainly not return. Judging by some of more recent comments on Trip advisor it seems we are not alone.

Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank bajapoole
Reviewed 12 July 2016

My major problem with this hotel was the dining experience. The quality and selection of food is very good, which was always fresh even from the buffet. My problem was with the restaurants themselves:

Firstly, gentlemen have to wear trousers during dinner. I could understand this rule if it was a fine dining restaurant but not at a resort buffet. This policy is even stranger as there is no other dress code, therefore men can come dressed in long trousers with vest tops whilst women are free to wear mini shorts. In a hot climate such as this it really is a silly rule that men cannot wear shorts, which caused a lot of frustration among many male guests.

Secondly, if you wish to eat at one of the restaurants with table service this has to be booked at least 24 hours in advance. You cannot just turn up despite them all being only around 20% full each night. The service is also a bit hit or miss at these restaurants. Some nights we had to wait a long time for our food and drinks.

Thirdly, the outside areas of the restaurants are not well lit so sitting at an outside table results in eating in near total darkness.

Other than the restaurants my other gripe is with the entertainment which was poor. Every night there were different singers in the outside area of the restaurants. They were all quite naff and I would rather have eaten in peace and quiet rather than listening to someone sing cheesy songs out of tune. There were also a couple of quiz nights advertised per week and also bingo but as far as I could see no one turned up to any of them during my entire stay.

My last problem was with the headboards in the bedroom which were made out of wood and not cushioned. This meant I kept banging my head every time I was having sex which gave me a bump on my head.

Other than that the hotel is clean (although could do with a refurb in certain places). The rooms are comfortable and a good size with free wifi and the pool area and beach were lovely.

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2016

This was our first experience of a big hotel and we found it to be very good for the most part. We were staying on a B&B basis and found the breakfasts to be plentiful and with a good selection, and for a big hotel they coped with it very well and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The hotel was very clean and tidy and the grounds are well kept.
We found the sunbed situation rather annoying, I have travelled a fair bit and I know that this goes on everywhere in the world, but putting towles on beds at 5AM was a little extreme I thought, especially when people then did not use them until after lunch!! (Come on guys). I am an early riser so used to watch the early morning stampede from the balcony, with people running like ants panicking that someone had stolen thier spot!!!! We tended to sit near the beach to avoid this and never had any trouble finding beds there. The other negative thing was the price of drinks at the pool bar. 2 x pints of Lemon squash 8.80 Euros!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I nearly choked.
All in all a good hotel in a good location, with a few tweaks it could be perfect

Date of stay: July 2016
Reviewed 11 July 2016

Arrived late and was met by the lovely Alexandre who showed us to our room and explained everything about the hotel, room was amazing, view lovely and was spotless. we booked a superior deluxe terrace (374) sun all day on the terrace. Breakfast in the zephyr restaurant was fantastic, we had 4 nights h/b and food was excellent!! Room service food was fab, Lovely restaurants also close to hotel, hotel staff all friendly, really loved this hotel and it's well worth the extra for a superior room.....will certainly return to this hotel!!

Room tip: Superior rooms with a sea view
Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank fearon2016
Reviewed 11 July 2016

Our family visited the Athena beach hotel may 2016, we were staying on an all inclusive plus basis.
On arrival the hotel looks clean and well presented, check in was hassle free and quite swift and are cases were taken to are room promptly. The room was ok clean and tidy but In need of updating. The pool area and garden were kept very well.
The food was good in the buffet restaurant with a good variety of different dishes to suit all tastes. The al a carte restaurants were very good with Adonis being the best for an evening meal, lunch is good to. The Helios beech bar serves pizza chips toasted sandwich and drinks but closes to early for my liking. (Men you must wear long trousers in all restaurants at night).
In the evenings the reception is very busy , bar is too small and finding somewhere to sit is not easy, nor is getting a drink staff will ignor you if you go to the bar preferring to offer a water service which can take 40 mins to get a drink.

Good points are location and the food.

Bad points service, having to sign for everything you order, having to pay for your room safe, the decore is dated, evening entertainment is poor, mixed boards.

Date of stay: May 2016