“Amazing Resort-Ingore Bad Reviews”

Ranked #4 of 27 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 August 2011

My husband and I have been to a few all-inclusive resorts that we loved, and we were nervous after reading some of the bad reviews. We were afraid that we would be disappointed; however, this resort exceeded our expectations. The food and service were superb. The beach is not great, but we knew that going in, after reading many reviews, and since we are pool people, we did not care. I am writing this review mostly because I do not understand all the bad reviews... If you had a terrible vacation, you were either miserable or looking for something to complain about and trying to get something for free. I could understand having one bad meal or running into one less-than-pleasant employee; however, my husband and I spent 10 days at Silversands and found neither. Most employees literally RUN to bring you anything you ask for. For people who left after a day or endured the vacation but were unhappy with the experience, I feel sorry for you because you will never be happy anywhere. Did you ever stop to think that if someone was not polite to you, it was because all you did was complain? There is absolutely no reason not to have an amazing vacation at this resort. If you have any questions and want honest answers, please feel free to email me personally.

14  Thank Jodi M

Reviewed 19 August 2011

We chose secrets silversands for our 2 week honeymoon from august 3rd until august 17th. Having read mixed reviews on here we were looking out for the things people had complained about and throughout the two weeks we had absolutely no complaints. We loved everything about the hotel and would go back quite happily.

On arrival in our private transfer (only about 15-20 minutes from the airport) we had our bags taken by a very friendly porter and shown straight to check in where again the staff were really friendly and gave us a room upgrade for our honeymoon. The porter then brought our bags and showed us to the room giving us some really useful info about the resort on the way to our room.

The room itself was perfect. Always clean and the minibar restocked daily. If ever we wanted anything extra we simply called and asked. We never experienced any rude or unfriendly members of staff and neither did anyone we had talked to. It seemed to us that the only people the staff were ever less than friendly to were the ones that were yelling complaints at them all the time, and really can you blame them? The air conditioning was great and easy to change the temperature on, I don't understand how people can say it was not cold enough, you could make your room into a fridge if you wanted to! Also, any complaints about the cleanliness of the resort are an insult to the staff who work all day every day to make sure everything was perfect. We have never seen so many cleaning and maintenance staff. Even when one of the pools experienced problems, the staff roped off the pool with tape and had it drained, fixed, cleaned and refilled in record time. And really with so many other pools around it was no great inconvenience!

The food was amazing and all the restaurants had fantastic service and were always clean. The different styles of food made for great choice and the staff were always happy to make alterations to suit your personal taste, you just have to ask. The room service is also excellent. Always fast and always still hot.

The pools were fantastic and all had different atmospheres and temperatures. Worth trying all of them. And wherever you were, the wait staff would find you to bring you drinks very regularly. We cannot speak highly enough about Felipe, our pool waiter. He was so friendly and worked so hard to make sure we were taken care of!

The evening entertainment was always good and varied. We particularly enjoyed the circus show and the perfect couple show which, if you are up for a laugh, is worth taking part in as they gave all three couples a free couples massage at the spa (worth around $270)!

The beach at the hotel really is not as bad as some people make it out to be. The actual beach is just fine for sitting on, walking on etc, but the water does have rocks and weed and never really gets deep enough to swim, but if you're happy with pools then it's fine.

Overall we loved every minute of our honeymoon and would happily return and reccomend it to anyone. Take time to visit Eduardo at the Amstar tours desk, he was excellent and very helpful and honest about the tours. We went to chichen itza, and yes it was a long drive but totally worth it. We also went to swim with the dolphins which again was a wonderful experience. Everyone we talked to agreed that this was a fantastic place to vacation and that the hotel provided something for everyone and you could really get exactly what you wanted from it. Simply cannot understand what people found to complain about!

• Stayed: August 2011
10  Thank Kings45
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I cannot express enough how badly and wrongfully my husband and I were treated at that hotel. I can list several complaints starting from the amount of time we had to wait to check in, the hotel’s cleanliness and their lack of knowledgeable staff, but the one that caused us the most grief was the incident resulting from the stealing of my husband’s phone by an employee of the hotel.

We asked to speak with the hotel manager once we became aware that it was missing. We explained the situation and she rudely said that it was not her problem and she would not do anything about it. I asked to speak with her superior and she said that I could not talk to anyone because her supervisor was on vacation. I asked her who I could file a complaint with and she said, “Not with me. If you want to complain, go out there!” And she subsequently pointed to the outside area of the hotel within the hotel property. I was so upset and shocked by her reaction. As a result, I did just that. I went around to people in the hotel telling them what had happened; interviewing guests and staff. The bartenders at the Barracuda Bar, where we had last seen the phone, had changed shifts so the three bartenders we had talked to were no longer on the property.

We then proceeded to call the police, given that the hotel management was being of no help. The police were sympathetic and agreed with our distress but were completely useless. They said we could only file a complaint with the “ministerio publico” (Attorney General’s office) who would be open on Monday. Our flight was scheduled to leave on Monday so this was impossible. We asked hotel management if they could contact the bartenders to ask if they had it and the manager said they did not have their phone numbers. I highly doubt that.

The only clue I have of who may have stolen the phone is that this person placed a call to Mexico City on Sunday, August 14 for a duration of 12 minutes. I have a record of the phone number they dialed.

I have since placed a formal complaint with the Attorney General’s office of Quintana Roo.

On top of that, the $200 resort credit is a total sham. You can only use it in $40, $40 and $20 increments for certain things that cost well over $100 dollars. We tried to use them at the spa but then decided against it since they were running a "special" that would have equaled the amount of money it would cost if we used the credit. Of course we were not allowed to use the credit on the "sale" price. The resort credit is a hook used to get more money out of people.

The Secrets Silversands hotel puts shame on a myriad of hotels in the area that DO have great service. Whether or not I pay a significant amount of money for a vacation, I expect respect. The management at this hotel does not know the meaning of that word.

19  Thank Melissa M
info_sesrc, General Manager at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2011

Dear Melissa M,

We would like to state that our guests safety and integrity are a priority to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun and to all AMResorts properties. It is also our commitment to ensure the safety and integrity of our staff members. Regretfully you have physically and verbally threatened our staff members and Management. When an item is reported missing or stolen we follow a strict protocol of Lost and Found, which you as well neglected to follow.

Cordially,

Mauricio Martinez

Reviewed 18 August 2011

Let me start by saying I had a terrible experience from start to finish! I went on vacation with my husband and two other couples for a long weekend getaway. When we arrived we were greeted by Omar outside (I must say he was the only good part of this resort). The people who check you into your room were not friendly at all. When we went to check in our rooms were not ready. They did not offer us a place to change and our luggage sat outside where anyone could take it. About an hour later one room was ready, which was mine. My friends had to put their luggage in my room because their room would not be ready for another two hours. We were supposed to have a swim out room; you couldn’t even see the pool from my room. When you walked in the room smelled of mold. Yes the shower was nice but the tub was very dirty.

The pools looked nice but once you were in them it looked like the tile had never been cleaned. My husband and our friend wore a white shirt into the pool and when they came out they had brown stains from the wall. The pool closed at 8pm and they took your raft from you at 5pm. Even the pool at the holiday inn stays open until 11. There was no music the only time they had music was when they were doing water aerobics. We requested they leave the music on and the staff told us NO!

The beach is nothing like the photos that is for sure. You cannot even swim in the water. Not only can you not swim but they had bob cats moving rocks and sand. If they were going to do construction they should have been out there at 6am not 1pm when people are trying to relax.

The food was good depending on where you ate. My husband did not have any pants so were unable to dine at any of the restaurants. They state that their website says that men need to wear pants but I did not read that anywhere! "It does say casual" My husband had on a collared shirt with docker shorts and they would not let us in the restaurants. We are in Mexico my husband wears shorts in the winter why would he wear pants in the summer? I asked if we could order food and take it back to the room and they told us that they could not do that. So if you want to eat food other than room service make sure you have pants! When one of the others asked if a restaurant had steak on the menu the girl replied "did you read the menu" Really you couldn't just say yes or no.

We went to karaoke night and it was just a party for the entertainment staff we were just there to watch. We were looking at a book to pick a song to sing when they came over to us told us we were taking too long and took the book! We got up and left. All of the activities were during the day not much going on at night.

If you do decide to go to this resort make sure you tell your transportation to pick you up 5 hours before your flight. We were supposed to be picked up at 9:30 which was three hours before our flight 10am rolls around and our rep and or transportation never arrived. We asked for someone to call and find out where they were they said they would be there in 45 minutes. We asked for transportation to the airport they front desk said they could not help us.

OVER ALL BAD BAD BAD BAD I WILL NEVER RETURN TO THIS RESORT IF THAT IS WHAT YOU CALL IT.

10  Thank riadel
Reviewed 17 August 2011

First off- if you dont care about clean resorts- then this resort is for you. Overall we had a wonderful time. With that said, I still would never go back to this resort.

We went for our honeymoon- so we got a honey moon package (which is a joke)

The fruit and Champaign that we received was 2 strawberries and 2 apples. And the strawberries were moldy. When you enter the resort- the outside is amazing. The pools are great; the outside of the resort is well groomed and clean. The inside is another story. The hallways of the resort were filthy. The rooms (and I say rooms because we hung out with several couples and they all have the same complaint) smelled awful. Like mold. And I would have asked to relocate- but my friends all had the same smell.
The worst- There were bugs in our room and our bed. My friends in the other rooms stated the same issue- in fact, one of the couples asked to move to a different room and it was worse. I went home with bites all over my feet and legs. And this was no mosquitos.

The staff and bartenders were AMAZING. This does not include management- which I felt the reception desk service was HORRIBLE. They have 3 desk and only 2 ever had employees.

I would have rather wore a wrist band. They would ask you when you checked into the restaurant what your room # was- then someone would ask you again on the way to the table and by the end of the meal I was asked about2-3 times more.

The beach is small – not swimmable at all- but we knew this going in so it wasn’t an issue. The outside of the resort- with all the pools and bars made the trip wonderful. The entertainment staff- they were all amazing.

Look- if this is the only place you can afford- you will have fun- your in Mexico- its an all inclusive and you can party in the pools. I chalk it up to me being comfortable in clean beds and I have a thing about smells. But if you have a tight budget- you will still have fun- it just kinda nasty.

Oh- and the club cash you get- is crap! Thye say ok, you get 200 for your stay- but yu have to spend a bunch of cash to even use it. Its a joke.

I just wanted to let people know because although we made great friends and had a wonderful time- I was very disappointed with the cleanliness of the resort. In fact, I never thought I would come home and say I would never stay at Secrets.

Room Tip: Get a swim up room facing ocean on 1st floor