“NOT A GOOD CHOICE”

Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Ranked #4 of 27 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 December 2008

First off My new husband and I transfered from Secrets Maroma which was fabulous! We were were extremely dissappointed by the beach at Silversands when we arrived. The layout of the room was strange since the bathrooms including the toilet were completely see through (no privacy) The roomservice staff insisted knocking on our door over and over each time we ordered room service even though we put DO NOT DISTURB on our door handle and did not put our food in the private box everyone has... THAT IS WHY IT IS THERE! The resort smelled like an out house and NONE of the pools were heated. Not even a hot tub was able to be found. The beach was non existant and the small amounts of sand there is filled with cigarette butts. Our airconditioning broke two nghts before we had left and they would NOT give us a different room even though they were under 60% full at the hotel. The restaraunt staff and bar staff was incredible though.... Very good service in that aspect. Spend the extra money if you can and stay at Secrets Maroma instead... Worth every penny. Most of the beautiful pictures you see on Secrets Silversands westite is from Maroma.....

2  Thank Dallas_TexasHappygal

Reviewed 12 December 2008

My partner and I stayed at the Secrets from 11/20 to 11/27 and had a fantastic time. On the plus side, the resort was very clean, the service excellent, the food better than average, and the surroundings attractive. On the negative side, the beach was narrow and rocky, and the resort was remote (but this is true of much of the Riviera Maya).

First of all, the room was very clean and spacious. Although we booked a standard room (they are all suites) we were upgraded for no cost to a partial ocean view room and so we overlooked one of the smaller pools and the beach. We had a large balcony that we never used (other than to make cell phone calls as we had no signal in the room), and nice-sized seating area with loveseat and table plus chairs. The bed was comfortable and not too hard. The closet was spacious and there was a built-in shelf and drawer unit for clothes that provided enough space for both of us, although I would have liked more drawers. The in-room bar was stocked with sodas and beer, neither of which I drink, but my partner appreciated having it re-stocked every day (twice a day). There was also plenty of bottled water in the bar. The room safe was large enough to hold a laptop as well as cameras, cell phones, wallets, ipods, etc. Flatscreen was nice, and DVD player was handy. We had brought some DVDs so we did not check out the selection at the front desk. The A/C was not too loud but I did have some problems adjusting it (we were too cold) to make it warmer. We accidentally left the screen door open one evening and got a few mosquitoes in, but that was our fault so I can't blame the resort. Decor was okay - modern, pale colors, some retro 60s flair.

About the bathroom...there is a large jacuzzi tub which we didn't use (we have a jacuzzi at home). The shower is large enough for two people, with a great rainfall head as well as a standard one. We had plenty of hot water. Twin sinks were great, although not enough counter space for me. The water from the sinks was yellowish and smelled of sulfur - very similar to the water in the Outer Banks. We used it to brush our teeth but drank only bottled water. I didn't notice the sulfur smell in the shower. Yes, there is a see-through glass door for the toilet stall which was annoying, but there are sliding doors that shut the bathroom off from the hall and bed area, so I closed those when I wanted some privacy. Overall an attractive bathroom with plenty of space for two.

The pools were very nice - water was a bit cold, but it was only about 85 degrees when we were there. No problems though - I just waited until I was warm from the sun before taking a swim. Plenty of lounge chairs and towels, and good floating lounges. We avoided the main pool as I am not interested in pool volleyball, pool aerobics, and the like. We sat at one of the quieter pools near one of the pool bars. A few days the wind was quite strong and the water in some of the pools was choppy, but we moved to a sheltered pool and still were able to enjoy the sun. Bar service at the pool was attentive and friendly.

We did not like the beach. The sand was nice quality and reasonably clean, other than the mounds of seaweed that washed ashore each morning. The staff did a great job of raking it up, but it was not like the pristine beaches up in the Cancun Hotel Zone that we were used to. The real drawback was the very rough surf, and numerous rocks and reefs in the water. I had the great idea of taking out the sea kayaks and going for a paddle around, which sounded fun, until my partner got his kayak stuck on the reef, and was pushed over by the waves. He's a 6'3" guy so no weakling, but once the kayak got stuck he had a hard time getting out of the kayak and off the rocks. Thankfully he was wearing long Bermuda shorts, but his legs and hand were cut up badly on the rocks. After that we stayed by the pool.

On to the food. Nice breakfast buffet - good breads, standard eggs & meat & pancake selection, made-to-order omelets, about 20 kinds of different fruits and juices and smoked salmon every day. Lunch buffet was so-so, but nice salad bar & good pasta. A la carte lunches were okay - mostly fish or meat sandwiches. Lamb sandwich was great-tasting but a bit heavy considering the tropical setting.

Dinners were very good compared to other Mexican resorts. The Mediterranean, Seafood, & Italian restaurants were decent - better than U.S. chain restaurants but not up to my standards for that type of food, although tasty. The Asian/Japanese restaurant was alright - the portions were incredibly small (my pad thai serving was about 1 cup in size) and taste was average. French and gourmet Mexican restaurants were very good - the French was as good as most French restaurants near us that cost under $200 a dinner, so we went there twice. I can't remember all the food but I had some excellent pork cutlets, endive salad & duck aspic. The gourmet Mexican was also very good - especially the chocolate souffle which was to die for. Wines (my drink of choice) were good - there were about 8-10 house wines which was all I drank, although you could pay for different name brand wines (Dom Perignon anyone?). As I recall it was mostly Chilean wines which aren't bad and the sparkling wine was good. There was piano music in most of the restaurants, and a great Mariachi group in the Mexican restaurant that came to each table and played your song of choice. I couldn't think of any songs so I just asked for a love song.

I loved the spa - I had two massages while there, and also used the steam/sauna area. Very clean and spacious, and very professional staff. I had a problem when paying with my credit card (declined!), but the staff was very courteous and just told me to come back after calling my bank without hassling me. Prices were average for a US spa, which at first I thought was high but after having my massages I have to say that the staff were worth every penny!

We didn't use the gym - spacious and plenty of equipment. Nor did we want trinkets so although we went in the shops (I think 3 were open but maybe only 2) we did not buy anything. We sat in the bar area in the evenings after dinner and enjoyed the music, but did not see the shows so I can't comment. The day we left we had breakfast in our room - plenty of food and very fast delivery. Checkout was easy and fast. On the last day I found the business center that had 4 computers for checking email - a nice plus.

All-in-all a great time. I do wish the resort had been closer to Playa del Carmen - we ended up leaving only once to go to Xcaret because it seemed too expensive to take a taxi just for some shopping. We've already seen Chichen Itza, Tulum, etc. so we wanted down time.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AlexeiM
Reviewed 10 December 2008

My wfe and I were at the Silversands for the first week in December. We read previous reviews and were somewhat concerned we had made the right choice. Here's what we found:

The resort and the rooms are lovely, and the staff are very accomodating. Yes, a few people got sick when we were there (not us), but it wasn't an epidemic. We ate at every restaurant and found the food to be excellent and far beyond our expectations based on other 5 star all inclusive resorts we have been to in the Carribean.

If you are looking for an expansive and pristine beach, this is not the place, but there is ample white sand to enjoy sitting out at the beach and lots for room for the 2 volleyball games per day. You should wear water shoes if venturing out into the water. Staff do their best to rake the seaweed, and it really isn't a problem.

The director of sports has a well developed program to keep you moving if that's what you are in to. There are brand new Hobie Cats and kayaks to use and staff will teach you how to sail if you don't know how to. Also, there is a great tennis court. It rained on the last day, so they moved the ping pong tables in doors and put out all kinds of board games and other indoor activities, they weren't going to let the weather spoil anyone's vacation.

The resort's general manager, Mauricio Martinez, has done an amazing job in getting the resort up to speed (they only opened a couple of months ago), and is very accomodating with any reasonable request. He is proactive in mgmt style, and so are his staff. All that contributes greatly to the warm, welcoming and fun atmosphere they have created at the resort.

In closing, if you go with reasonable expectations, you'll have a great time.

6  Thank HappinessToronto
Reviewed 9 December 2008

We checked out of Secrets Silversands on Dec. 4, 2008 after starting our vacation earlier in the week at the Valentin. We chose to split our trip between two resorts because we made a mistake when purchasing our airline tickets and we had to stay longer than we originally planned.

First off, the Secrets Silversands is very contemporary, new, clean, white and silver in color schemes, and beautiful in a “modern” style. We experienced wonderful service and felt welcomed all over the resort. It is quite a bit more compact than many of the larger resorts built along the ocean all the way down the highway toward Tulum. They are lush and have more land with jungle-like surroundings. This resort is very open and airy with the grounds a little bare but open to the ocean everywhere possible.

Check in was easy. We got there at 12:30pm and we were greeted with cold towels and champagne. After being escorted to one of the check-in desks, we were offered huge and delicious chocolate chip cookies. We booked a standard room with no particular view. We were given a room with a partial ocean view on the third floor, which included a view above one of the side pools and a nice view down the right side of the resort and beach area. There are some old homes and even some destroyed land to the right, however, is this the Secrets Silversand's fault…absolutely not. Our room, as most people have agreed, was spacious and also contemporary. There are 3 controllers in the room, one for the TV, one for the DVD, and one for the fan. We also were given a short tour around the room. Our room was spotless (and it’s white so that says a lot). We loved the balcony furniture. The king bed in the room is very comfortable. The bathroom is large with double sinks and yes we did have some smell from sulfur(?) in the water. For those who have read about the etched glass door on the toilet room, this is true, however you may not have been advised there is both a sliding solid door on the entire bathroom AND a sliding panel in front of the Jacuzzi bathtub. If you need your privacy, just slide the doors/panels closed and you have a huge gorgeous bathroom all to yourself.

The staff at the pool and beach were very attentive. A waiter approached us shortly after finding our seats by the pool and our drinks came promptly after that.
The pools were beautiful but cold…including the hot tub…..yes it IS December. We liked the look of the infinity pools. The beach sand was easy to walk on but the water is very very rocky and full of coral (some is sticking out of the water). The beach also has a lot seaweed, more than we’ve seen at other resorts. The staff was raking all day long to try to keep up with this. Unfortunately, some visitors seem to feel the beach is their ashtray and their garbage can. That is very sad. We constantly saw staff cleaning up the trash (that was not in the garbage cans where it belonged).

We choose to walk down the left side of the beach for a long walk (looking toward the ocean). There is a lot of construction going on not too far down where new resorts are being built. This particular area is going to be very popular in years to come if only because it is so close to the Cancun airport, about a 20-minute drive (nonstop).
We did not walk down the beach to the right because it seemed too rocky. We didn’t even try. For those who want a smooth beach with easy swimming, this is not the place for you. It might be someday, but right now there are lots of rocks and coral…we even saw the kayaks get stuck on some rocks.
The Azul Sensatori is right next door and if you don’t look closely enough you aren’t even sure when one resort ends and the other starts as the buildings are very similar in size and shape, except for the balcony. This hotel also opened recently.

The lunch at the outside restaurant has a menu that changes daily and it was not a buffet, it was order off the menu. We were seated right away, given menus, and shortly after our orders were taken. While waiting for our orders, we were also offered two different appetizers (both of which we enjoyed).
In the evening we ate around 7pm. We did not have to wait to get into the restaurants. One restaurant was closed each night.. We really liked the pasta and the desserts at the Italian restaurant. Food was good to excellent overall.
After dinner we listened to music for a while, however, we did not stay around for the shows so we can’t comment. We’ve been to enough all inclusives and we figure it was probably on par with the rest. We also did not use the spa.

The lobby had wonderful seating areas. We loved the large, almost beds, in the lower lobby. They were so comfortable. We also thought the orange and green furniture, though a bit odd to look at at first, was very fitting and adorable in this contemporary environment.

The only bad experience we had was to witness a “guest” yelling at one of the front desk personnel for some type of service she wasn’t receiving and then later that night the same person was yelling at the maitre d’ in the restaurant we were eating in. Apparently, this guest was not receiving quick enough service. Even if the service was not up to par (don't know the circumstances), it was totally out of line to be yelling so abusively. It was our only bad experience and had nothing to do with the hotel. I guess I didn’t realize people actually could be so insulting and cruel to others.

We enjoyed our stay at Secrets Silversands resort and know the property will only get better in time. We didn’t feel there were any major “bugs” that needed working out but there’s always room for improvement. We also are aware, from reading on the forums, that Secrets has a hold on taking new reservations at this hotel for a while in order to work on improving things even more.
We are not picky, we don’t “settle” either. We have traveled around enough to know a good resort from a not so good one and one that is truly terrible. We also don’t expect a Four Seasons or a Rosewood Resort if we’ve not booked and paid for that type of hotel (which of coarse you pay additionally for any meals, drinks, or activities you chose to do at the hotel). These hotels can run over $600 a night depending on the time of year and the room you book (with nothing included).

If you choose Secrets Silversands, go, relax and have fun. Please know it is not a huge spread out resort with lots and lots of walking. Also know that it is a contemporary resort in its design and presentation. The staff is wonderful and they go out of their way to try to please. Most importantly….enjoy!

8  Thank ali123travels
Reviewed 9 December 2008

My boyfriend and I arrived at this brand new hotel on Wednesday afternoon excited to hit the jacuzzi. We stepped in and it was ice cold. The hot tubs were broken. Next, we were hungry and decided to order room service and unpack our suitcases. The room was beautiful but we noticed a ton of mosquitos. Our room service meal was terrible! We decided to grab a meal at a buffet downtstairs and it was also terrible. We grabbed a drink instead from a bar and thought we would get ready for a fun night of dinner/drinks/meeting other couples at the resort. We met a couple that told us that many of their friends were in their room sick from food poisoning. We were shocked that a 5 star hotel didn't have warm water or decent food or bothered to spray for mosquitos. We were also disappointed throughout the trip that the fitness center's treadmill's were out of order. There was one that worked, but the waiting line was too long. Also, I went to shower in my room and I smelled a sewer/sulfur scent. I had to have someone fix the smell in my room. In addition, the beach was extremely weedy and rocky from the hurricane a couple years ago. All in all, I wouldn't return but the staff was extremely friendly and hard working.

Stayed: December 2008
16.8 km away
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!