“Great resort- if you aren't in building six”

Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 December 2010

Just got back from a 5 night trip at the Silversands with my wife. The reviews on this site are pretty spot-on, the beach is so-so, service is great, pools are nice but some are a bit cold etc. I don't know why people complain about the lack of nightlife. The bar area is pretty lively from 6pm until midnight, not crazy partying, but great people watching nevertheless. We had a great time and I would recommend this hotel, but there are some small negatives and things to keep in mind:

Avoid building six! Located in the back of the resort and near the septic tanks or something because our balcony and the surrounding area reeked like excrement. Walking after a nice dinner to your room, wading through a cloud of poop smell is a bit of a mood breaker. Our view was the back wall and roof of the spa. Nice. They wedged a pool between the building and the spa building but I wonder why everyone would sit at that pool, as it was not very appealing. I went to the check-in to complain and we were moved to a swim up room in building two, which was much much better. (Be polite and pleasant, but persistent. I find this to work well in Mexico.) We had to give up our king size bed for two doubles but that was not an issue for us. This is a nice resort, but building six just should not have been built. When you book, pay for at least partial ocean view so you don't get stuck there. Or complain if you do get stuck there and get the upgrade for free.

The only other criticism I have is that the pool side food is only burgers and hot dogs. The moment you want something more than that you have to go to a restaurant where there is no swimwear allowed. This seems a strategy of this hotel: it is all inclusive, but you have to get seated and dressed up to get to food. Annoying. Why can't I get a salad or club sandwich by the pool?

I also think it's strange that they advertise online and in their hotel info in the rooms that you can play tennis at night under the lights. That's simply not true, the court (which is a nice hard court) is not lit. When I pointed out this discrepancy to the concierge, she acted like I was crazy thinking the court could be lit. Uhmm, it's in your brochure... Also, our tennis balls were a bit flat as we were playing, so I went to ask for some extra balls at the concierge desk: They gave me one tennis ball that was totally flat. Come on now, you pretend to be a four and a half star, step it up a notch!

The house wine is not that great, but if you are into white wine, they will pour you their sauvignon blanc (or Chardonay- don't quite remember), which really is not that great and very fruity. Ask instead if they will pour you the other house wine, the "blanc de blanc," (bianco de bianco), a dry wine that really is pretty decent when chilled.

I thought the food was good, but a lot of the restaurants seemed to be making the same cuts prepared slightly differently. Most restaurants offer a big slab of meat prepared differently according to the restaurant. I wished that the Italian and Mexican restaurant would have been a bit more creative in their menu choices. I am not the biggest fan of meat heavy dishes when in a warm climate.... And I just don't think steak in Mexico tastes all that good. The fish restaurant was excellent though.

I was not impressed by the sushi, but the shrimp fried rice in the Asian place was to die for.

Tuna appetizer in French place was great, but the chicken saltimbocca-like dish was dry and uninspired. The best thing I ate there were the scallops and prawns in Ratatouille. Delicious. Shrimp, prawns, and scallops are very good everywhere you eat them.

People complain about the lack of free internet, but I find the 15 min free you get in the business center to be quite nice. If they wanted to nickle and dime you. they would not offer this.

8  Thank chicagooutbound
Write a ReviewReviews (11,377)

Reviewed 9 December 2010

We had a great week here despite the rain. Rooms are gorgeous and beds very comfy. The restaurants were great - food amazing and lots of choice. Staff all very helpful. Check out can be a bit frantic but lots of people leaving at once . The spa is great , watch out for the mossi in the cabanas , if you get bitten have treatments inside instead or on the beach . Had a couples massage on the beach, was so relaxing. The water beds in the hydro room are so so comfy I could sleep there forever ! Highly recommend the spa . Think we were the only English in resort which was a little shame , would be nice to see other Europeans using the resort. But 10 out of 10 to secrets for a lovely resort . One tiny point if I could change anything is have some cocktail menus for those of us that don't know what to have as the bar tenders don't have many ideas so would be great to choose from !! Go enjoy , yes as you have heard to beach has sea weed but they keep as clean as possible and truly work hard at it. Fabulous ! Ask for Sean in the spa he is great at recommending treatments

• Stayed: November 2010
5  Thank Baliaddict
Reviewed 8 December 2010

We booked a secrets square deal through apple vacations, so weren't sure where we would end up on the riviera maya. We were at Secrets Silversands and could not have been happier. We have stayed at a lot of all-inclusives and this one was certainly one of the best. Loved the service, and the rooms. Don't hesitate to take a trip to Silversands.

6  Thank traveler1075
Reviewed 8 December 2010

I was excited when I booked this hotel as I was expecting a pretty exciting weekend that included both partying and relaxation. It seemed I had no problem with the relaxation part, but the partying and nightlife at the resort left much to be desired. This resort is supposed to cater to the young adults. I was so surprised at the level of entertainment offered here. There were days when we were so bored we just called it a nigh and went to sleep! This is really not the place for late 20s/early 30s looking to have a great time.

The rooms are pretty cool and they are very large! Those rooms are larger than some apartments I have seen. We had a partial ocean view which was not really worth it. I would only pay extra for an oceanfront room if I were to ever go back. We ordered breakfast every morning and it was really good. The room also had a large balcony that we ate breakfast on one day. It is cool until the birds get a whiff of the food. We ate inside for the remainder of the trip. If there was something that you wanted that was not on the menu, just order it. They will do their best to make it. Breakfast always came on time, hot, and just as we ordered and expected.

The spa services seemed way too high, even with the coupons we got. I think everyone got the coupons anyway. Seemed more like a ploy to make you feel as though you are saving money. The rooms do not have liquor dispensers like some other all-inclusive I stayed at. That was a drawback for me.

There are many options as far as restaurants are concerned. We got an opportunity to eat at the sushi/Japanese restaurant, the Italian restaurant and one other. We were caught by surprise on our first night. In order to eat at the restaurants inside, the men must wear long sleeve (collared) shirts. Do not forget to bring the proper attire or they will not let you in. Luckily we were able to go back to the room and change, but had we not known we would have been stuck eating at the grill located outside. The grill left much to be desired as well.

The resort is supposed to be all inclusive but I had an idea that they still expected tips. However, we did not tip during our trip. I would much rather them just increase the price of the actual vacation instead of me having to feel bad about not carrying tip money with me everytime I left the room.

The beach is very small; I’ve been much better beaches in this area. We only went to the beach once. We lounged by the pool for the rest of our trip. The drinks were good. We did ask for extra shots as sometimes they did taste watered down.

The place pretty much shuts downs before midnight, so if you are looking for a place to party, this is not it. If you want to get away and stay at a good all-inclusive, this may be the place for you. The rooms are great and the hotel does its best to make sure you enjoy your vacation. I just wish there was more to do.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shanna95
Reviewed 8 December 2010

This was the 7th time in Cancun/Riveira Maya area. We stayed at Secrets Maroma last year. Overall I would say this was one of the best Values we gotten. For the price, you are getting awesome food, service and location. We stayed from Nov 27-Dec 3.

Pros:
- Close to airport so it is a quick transfer from the airport (20 mins)
- Check-in went smooth. Roberto and Jessica were a great help in getting the other couples we traveled with in the same general location.
- Service. everyone you ran into was always very helpful, polite and in a good mood. very nice to see all the smiling faces.
- Food. Braised Beef @ Bordeaux, Rack of Lamb @ Ratatouile, Sushi @ Himitsu, shrimp cocktailand tacos @ Oceania for lunch and the chocolate/raspberry dessert at Bordeaux all excellent. some portions are smaller so just order two. I gained 7 lbs!! Enough said
- Drinks. The bartenders have some great tasting drinks. Just watch what the waitstaff brings around to others and then ask for whatever they are having. They always came around the pool and asked for another before your drink was even gone. AWESOME pool staff!!
- Pools. the main pool had the heater on and never had a problem with getting chairs next to the pool. Water was perfect temp. the other pools are not heated and were cooler than i would have liked so we just stayed at the main pool.
-Bar or bathroom was always close by the pool.
-Beach bar is a great place to hang out and relax to hear the ocean and take in the view.
- Monday night football and some concerts shown on outside wall. Very Cool
- Beds. very comfy
- clean. resort and rooms very clean
-"free golf" we golfed one morning and the course (playa periso??) was very nice. it is on the Iberostar resort so you got free drinks/food on the course. the free golf does cost, $35 for the cart pp, $35 to golf before noon, and then $40 to rent clubs. So $110 for a round but still very nice course. It's not on the ocean but very challenging.

Neutral
- Entertainment. we found a few shows really good (elvis, circus, comedian) and a few were just OK. this isn't Vegas but they are better than some resorts I've been to.
- Beach. The sand is nice but there is a lot of seaweed that comes in. the staff is always cleaning it up. You can walk north and south for a long way but you will run into streches of no resorts so a lot of seaweed and some garbage that comes in. It didn't stop us from taking our daily walks. Just not a pretty as Maroma but still a nice beach. It's better than snow in Wisconsin!!
- spa. good but pricey. we opted to save the $$ and get 2 massages back home for same price.

Cons
-Ocean. very hard to swim in because of all the rocks/coral
- Nightly late music. I didn't care for the rock band that played outside 4 nights from 10:30-1:00am. Our room was in building 2 (2421) close to the veranda bar and we laid in bed hearing the bass booming. They should just turn it down from 10 to 7 and it would have been fine. One night i was woken at 10:45 to Pearl Jam and then again at 12:30 to Bon Jovi. Both great bands but not at a beach resort that late at night. I live by "if it's too loud, your too old". Looks like i'm officially old!! We asked to move rooms and they moved us to other side of resort that day.

Other peoples issues
- timeshare pitches. We never had anyone approach us. Just know that when the Apple staff wants you to come down to "confirm" your departure on your first day, it is to talk you into side trips. They are very helpful if you are looking for a side trip. We have used them in the past. If you don't plan on leaving the resort just give them your sheet and say no thank you.
- wine upsales. Every night we were given a wine list and said no thank you. No issues ever.
- empty house/building south of resort. Secrets has no say on what other property owners do or don't do with thier properties. Get over it.
-Ocean not blue. The ocean looked beautiful. Not as blue/green as other resorts but still very nice
- smell by building 5/6. both were closed while we were there. our friends were in building 4 and never had an issue.
- not looking mexican. this is a modern resort and would fit in Miami. we found it very nice and actually refreshing from some of the typical cheesy mexican decor some places have.
- 15 min of internet. Never had an issue and it forced you/spouce to NOT sit online all day. WiFi available. we had one in our group with an ipad and got service sitting at pool.

All in All i would highly recommend this resort to anyone. It was a great value for the food, service, atmosphere and relaxing. I would rank Secrets Maroma higher only because of the AWESOME beach there and the poolside food service. But you are paying for that!!

7  Thank ckk
1.9 km away
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
#5 of 28 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!