“Its all in what you make of it!”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 September 2008

My husband and I went to the Ocean Coral and Turquesa from September 1-5, 2008.

First of all, because I was confused about this, the Ocean Coral and Ocean Turquesa is the same hotel! One side is the Ocean Coral and one side is the Ocean Turquesa. Everyone uses the same facilities.

Looking at the hotel from the ocean, the Coral Side is on the far left, the Turquesa Side is the far right. We noticed that the Coral side had many more suites with showers/hot tubs on their balconies. The pools on the Coral side are smaller, less active and seem to try for a more romantic feel. The Turquesa side pools have swim up bars and activities in them. We used all of the pools though - depending on our mood!

I loved the pools. Each had loungers built in, all on the beach and some parts were over my head (I'm 5'7) which is always fun.

I honestly researched pretty much every hotel in the Mayan Riviera area, around this price range.
We chose the Ocean Coral and Turquesa because to us, it seemed like the best, compared to other hotels in the area around this same price range. Here is why:

1. Each room is an ocean view suite - you won't be looking at the "gardens" - you won't be stuck 1/2 mile and a tram ride away from everything. You don't have to pay several hundred dollars to upgrade to an ocean view, or to have a balcony or patio.

2. The entire resort is on the water - so when you walk around during the day, you're looking at the ocean. When you go to dinner at night? You're right on the beach. Always a nice breeze, always a gorgeous view - and we encountered no mosquites!

3. The restaurants all have AC. I read the reviews of other hotels that say their main buffet restaurants don't have AC. Noooo thanks.

This is the major point I want to make. This hotel is crazy affordable. We booked directly through their website for $580 for 4 nights, 2 people. (granted it was hurricane season)
I can't vacation in my hometown for that price, let alone all inclusive! If you can spend $500+ more - I know you can find a much nicer hotel, nicer food, nicer beaches. If you're on a budget though - this place is probably the best choice within that range!

With that said though, if you're looking to swim in the crystal blue waters - don't stay here. The ocean isn't aqua here - its very cloudy and dark blue/brown. The beach is awesome though - just like the photos! Speaking of photos - you can have a professional photographer take your photos for free (and later buy the prints if you want to, $12 for a 8x10)
My husband and I did this and it was so much fun! You'll see couples doing this all over the beach. Its free! Just go to the photo desk in the gift shop. You can even make an appointment.

I agree with the other posters. The showers are awful. Unless you blockade the shower with towels - they leak all over the place. Its just because its all glass and poorly designed. On our way to dinner, we told the front desk, and when we came back to our room - it had all been mopped and dried up and we had new towels. The beds were super comfortable though!

Also, someone mentioned that the AC and fan were on motion sensors? I was dreading this. We didn't have that at all though. The AC and fan stayed on for as long as you wanted them to -- unless the balcony door was open.

I personally didn't like the bathroom set up, but my husband thought it was awesome. That is what you need to remember - people have different opinions - room set up, food, the way their drink is made, etc.

Speaking of the front desk and the service - I think I know who received the cold service. The same people who were rude, insulting, arrogant and/or demanding to the staff! Common sense people - if you're nice to them, they'll actually want to be nice to you!

I had no problem getting anything I wanted. The bartenders would make fun of me for asking for water, or a Coca Light - and pretend to give me a shot of Tequila instead. We once asked for a bottle of champagne for our room - and they brought it to us. The staff truly does everything they can to make you happy. Each time we'd head back to our room, we'd stop at the bar and ask for a few bottles of water. That way, we never ran out.
Oh, and the water from the tap doesn't stink and you can brush your teeth with it! Hooray!

The food in the buffet was average - not great, but good. Like others have said, you can always find something yummy. Last year we went to the Riu Palace Las Americas in Cancun - now that food was amazing! However, that hotel was also almost double the price.

The a la carte restaurants need some work, but they were fine.
Each time I didn't love something, I'd remember the amazing price we paid. If you want perfection - it costs a lot more. Everyone in the Italian restaurant gets drunk because they use giant red wine glasses, and fill it up to the top, over and over! :)

The Mexican Restaurant I thought was pretty horrible actually. I heard others raving about it though - so its all a matter of preference. We never waited in a line. I honestly wanted to wait in a line once, because each a la carte restaurant served hors d'oeurves outside!

Also, there is no room service - but you are allowed to bring food from the buffet, coffee shop or sports bar back to your room.

The coffee shop was AWESOME! It truly is a free Starbucks!

And they don't water down the drinks! They just serve you in super small glasses. Really annoyingly small actually. Just ask for an extra shot in your drink. My 6'2, 215lb husband did this one night - and 4 fruity drinks later, he was trashed.

Okay so the bad .... obviously the showers were wicked annoying. The couch and pillows in the room smell like mildew - people obviously leave the doors open and the tropical air gets in.
A lot of the food is full of oil ... kind of a bummer for not wanting to get fat ... but hey, its vacation. Also the a la carte restaurants play the same music as the pools .... I was dying to hear something different, especially in a themed restaurant!

Also, it costs $30 to get to this hotel in a cab. Don't let people in the airport rip you off! (We paid $55 on the way there!)

All in all though - we had an awesome time!
Awww, I'm craving guacamole now! :)

PS: There are two Trip Advisor's for this hotel floating around.

10  Thank MrsNathan
Write a ReviewReviews (12,035)

Reviewed 9 September 2008

We have just returned from a week vacation at the Ocean Turquesa. It was a great vacation with a few bumps here and there.
When we arrived at the hotel, we didn't get a king bed like we requested. We don't make mountains out of ant hills, so, we decided to keep the room and put the beds together. We had a bigger bed than a king. But, the room was very moist and damp. I don't know what was causing it eexactly. But, the bed, pillows, blankets were all damp. It was like laundry that didn't dry and it smelled like it too. We thought it was because they just cleaned the room. But, our entire stay there the room was really damp and it smelled. We spoke to the other guests in the hotel and they had the same problem.
Don't get me wrong the resort was very beautiful. It was relaxing. The staff are so helpful and very friendly. Compared to all the places I've visited, the staff in this hotel are above average. The resort is very clean.
The food was good. We only liked the buffet food. It was better than the a la carte restaurants. The Japanese restaurant was mediocre. The Italian restauarant i can't say it was more than ok.
They also have a 24hr sports bar. The food in there wasn't so great either. But, it's edible for a midnight snack.
The hotel activities are horrible. Wow. now we thought that part would at least be great. No one participates in any of their activities. They wanted to play basketball, but, the rim was so high and the water so deep that it was so hard to play. The little kids couldn't even join.
Compared to other places we've been to, entertainment was always fun. This is actually the first time that we didn't enjoy the entertainment. The crew was extremely boring and they had no life. They are suppose to be the life of the party. Don't depend on the night life at the hotel. If you're there to party, you should go to cancun or playa del carmen. They have great parties there. The weekend starts on Thursday. The best night to go out is Saturday.
The beach wasn't as great as i expected. I'm a beach bum. So, the beach is very important to us. I've been to a lot of great beaches. But, this beach was very dirty with seaweeds. If they can clean all that up it would be great. They also have jellyfish.

Despite all the bad. There was more good. We did make the best of our vacation and we had a great time. We will definitely go back. I'm not sure if we'll go back to the same hotel. If they fix their problems. Then yes we will definitely go back. But, we will definitely visit Mexico again.

Reviewed 8 September 2008

We stayed at the Ocean Coral & Turquesa 8/24 - 8/30 with 2 other couples and booked through Cheap Caribbean. No problems with the travel other than our ground transportation was with Olympus and we had a tough time contacting them to verify our return trip. They had it all scheduled but we were supposed to call them to verify and they never answered the phone. We signed up as H10 members before booking our trip and got most of our requests. It's free on the H10 website. During check-in, ask for the lock for your room safe. You have to leave a credit card number but there is no charge as long as you return it.

Upon arrival, you will be greeted by a representative who will give about a 5 minute overview of the resort. He asked us to participate in a special breakfast the next morning to get a detailed description of the resort. We already knew that this is the timeshare pitch. You get the same breakfast buffet and a free mini massage. We told him that we had friends coming in the next day so we would schedule after they got their. We never heard another word about it except a note on our door reminding us. Don't waste your time unless you really want a timeshare.

The resort is beautiful. The layout from North to South is Turquesa Family Pool, Turquesa Activites Pool, Coral Pool Bar, and Coral Quiet Pool. It's really all one resort and the only difference is the color of the rooms. However, the rooms with jacuzzis are around the quiet pool. All rooms have a view towards the ocean but some views are obstructed. Some rooms have a concrete wall on the balcony which obstructs the view instead of metal railing. There is a tennis court and soccer court by the Family Pool. Kids are allowed in all the pools but they weren't a problem for the most part. Some gathered around the swim-up bar to get their virgin cocktails which was a little annoying. By the way, the only swim-up bar is in the Bar Pool. There is self-serve beer, wine and sodas at the other pools but it seemed to be closed a lot at the quiet and family pools. The activity pool can get a little noisy during the day but it quiets down by evening. They have a microphone and play music. However, on Friday night the music played past midnight for the Mexican party. The pool bar plays music all day and into the night. I don't know how late it plays since we couldn't hear it from our room.

We stayed in room 12203 which is on the 2nd floor around the activities pool. The view was okay but somewhat blocked by a covered walkway. We were greeted with champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and a small gift basket of Mexican candies. The bathrooms are not very private for families. It is an open area next to the front door which has a big tub and sink. There are 2 frosted glass doors to the toilet and the shower. The shower water will flood the area unless you stuff a towel on the inside of the shower door. The blinds between the tub/dressing area are sheer so families will have a problem finding a private place to dress.

The food was pretty good. There is a buffet which we ate at every morning. The lunch and dinner was okay but we preferred the outdoor buffet around the activities pool for lunch and the restaurants for dinner. There is Japanese, Italian, and Mexican. All had great food and the 12 lbs I gained are proof! The restaurants open at 6:00 and if you aren't there by 6:30 you will be waiting until 8:00-9:00. The frustrating thing is that the restaurants are only 1/2 full so apparently they don't have the staff to accommodate a full restaurant. Recommendations: sit a the Hibachi in the Japanese R. and request the Mayan Coffee at the Mexican R. Both are a treat!

The beach has soft sand and they have roped off areas for swimming. Sea grass and sargasso seaweed wash up on shore but they clean it up every morning. The water close to shore is a little milky but we found decent snorkeling to the north of the resort. It gets clear about waist deep. As a bonus Marcelo has a boat north of the resort and he will take you out to a 30' reef for $20-$25 per person for about an hour in the water. I highly recommend this. The boat at the resort charges $47 and they go to a couple reefs but don't stay very long. We were always able to find a shady spot on the beach. Around the pools is a different story. The umbrella chairs get taken pretty early in the morning. I don't know why people come to such a beautiful place to sit around a pool that they can have anywhere. Oh - I better mention that there are a few topless ladies for your enjoyment (or not!) The only ones I saw were down on the beach.

Entertainment was pathetic. There was a movie every night in the theatre followed by a show. We went to the comedy show which wasn't very funny. They don't pay professional entertainers like some of the resorts do. Friday night was a big Mexican party which had lots of vendors, a mariachi band, lots of games for the kids, and music.

Let me explain about the drinks. First of all, this place doesn't know how to make a decent mojito. They use Sprite! There isn't nearly enough bars or bartenders. Outside, you never know what size cup you are getting. They have the tiniest disposable cups I have ever seen. I would guess 6 oz at most. They also have hard plastic cups that are more like 10 oz. Always ask for the big cup or 2 drinks. The quality of the drinks was okay. There are a few cocktail waitresses that wander the beach, pool, and lobby but it takes a long time to get your drink. We found the shortest lines and best drinks in the lobby.

The only excursion that we did was the free trip to Cancun. You book the day before at the Traffic desk however we were able to book it the same morning. The bus leaves at 10:00 and leaves Cancun at 4:00. We ended up paying a cab to come back! They take you to La Isla Mall which is a bunch of overpriced designer shops. There's nothing Mexican about this place. On other trips, we have done the 4-wheelers, speed boats, Xcaret, and Coba. All are worth doing.

All in all, we had a relaxing, fun vacation. The resort is big but the way it's arranged, it feels small and private. We would return as long as they learn that a Mojito is made with simple syrup and club soda!

For the price, we feel that we got our money's worth!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank FloridaBeachthyme
EVEGT, manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2008

Dear Travelers:

I would like to thank you all for your very possitives reviews .

At Ocean Coral & Turquesa ,we are commited with guests satisfaction consequently we do a follow up of all your observations which help us to improve our services and to provide you all with the vacation experience you are expecting.

Certainly there is not difference between Turquesa and Coral side but the colors of the walls .....

I want to clarify an event ,actually we have a family with us during september and had occoured an incident with a watch in one of the rooms ;the watch vanished as our clients had informed us ,therefore we had started the proper investigation and follow up of the case with not positive results.....and fortunately several days after we have received a call from our clients apologizing because the watch it had been found on a suitcase.
Important to underline we do count with an extremely tie security system at our resort.

Eveanny Gonzalez
Assistant Manager

Reviewed 8 September 2008

We have travelled to Mexico 4 times and feel we are capable of writing a fair review. We have also enjoyed Punta Cana, Domican Republic and Negril, Jamaica.
The Ocean Coral was a disappointment and will most likely result in it being a very long time before we go back to Mexico. The property is nicely decorated and clean, but there are major management issues.
Arrival: We arrived to find our room not ready yet. We received no welcome greetings to the property EXCEPT from Monica, a rep from the hotel who asked us to breakfast the next morning to learn more about their hotel. She told us we would receive a free massage or $70 to come and get acquainted with the resort. We even received a reminder call the next morning that we were to have breakfast with Monica at 9:30 am. We went to the front desk and waited . We then found out we were not having breakfast with Monica, (nor were we ever going to). We were having breakfast with Lisa, and it was all part of a timeshare/point program they are trying to sell their guests! That is just wrong to lie to guests in that way, and it started our first day off to a bad start! We did receive $70 after we were taken to their sales room where several other guests including us were given alcohol, and where shouts were heard for Dennis (the sales manager) the whole time. AWFUL!!!!!!!
Rooms/Grounds: The rooms are beautifully decorated as is the whole property. Someone spent alot of time coming up with the decor, and it is tasteful and comfortable. The grounds are kept very clean. The only gripe about the room was the wet floors after showering, and the fact that the toilet and shower are both beside each other. No privacy, and thanks to the food my husband spent a lot of time in the bathroom!
Food/Drinks: The food was awful except for breakfast. They are very cheap on their portions in the specialty restaurants, and the food has no taste. It was not good! My husband was sick to his stomach after the first day and is still not feeling up to par after being home for a day. The drinks are also cheap liquor-and the beer was hot. The service was slow and one day we did not see a waitress on the beach for the whole afternoon. (we were told they are short staffed). One of the restaurants costs extra money as if we had not already overpaid for this property in the first place.
Beach: The beach was not one of the best we have seen, but also not one of the worst. There is sand, but a lot of sea grass and the water was pretty rough with yellow/red flags out everyday. Most people swim in the pool which we can do at home!
Entertainment/staff: The staff here seems overworked, or they do not understand the importance of SMILING at their guests who are paying their hard earned money to stay at the resort. (We do tip wherever we go and appreciate staff at all hotels.) The entertainment staff work very hard and really they are what is holding this place together. You see them everywhere trying to get people involved in activities.
This place needs a management overhaul, and quick! We will not return and will not recommend it to anyone else either.

2  Thank travelhappyUSA
Reviewed 7 September 2008

We are a family of 5 who have just returned to grey old London town after an excellent two weeks at H10 Ocean Coral.

This is the first time I've got round to writing a review of a holiday, but I'm battling through the jet-lag because I want to defend this hotel against some of the ridiculous criticisms that have been made in previous reviews.

We arrived feeling a bit worried that we might have made a mistake, having heard about leaking showers, bad service and poor food.

The whole site was exceptionally clean and the staff were constantly working towards maintaining this standard.
The design of the hotel is magnificent. All public areas are diagonally built in relation to the coast which means that every vista has wonderful sea views.The rooms were also designed so that you were barely overlooked and almost every room had at least a partial sea view (better the higher your room was).

I don't know what planet these whingers come from, but I'd prefer not to visit it. Our showers did not leak at all (in fact they were hot and powerful), everyone at the hotel was very friendly and embarrassingly eager to help, and the food was plentiful and tasty.

Despite running or cycling most days we all put on weight, which on Planet Whinge would be a criticism of the catering, but to us was a compliment to it.

Highlights of the holiday included:
• Mike's Coffee Shop - imaginative decor, comfy chairs, tasty cappucino and cheesecake.
• The cycling tour - 8a.m. start to Puerto Morelos and back-bookable the day before.
• Champagne - available anytime, including breakfast for the decadent among us (e.g. me)
• Choice of 4 different pools, some with activities like volleyball and water-polo, some quiet and relaxed, all with food and drink on tap.
• On the beach, lots of very comfortable sunloungers, each with thatched Mayan-look parasols. Beach towels were always available and you could get loungers at any time of the day - a first for us on a package holiday.
• Service with a smile - Jesus the lobby barman lives up to his name by making a miraculous mojito.
• Guest Services were also very helpful for both service issues as well as information.
• Beautiful fine-grained white sand - perfect for an early-morning run as the sea crashed against the shore. Yes, there is some seaweed but to me this just shows that it's a natural beach.

As with all holidays you go a bit stir crazy if you have exactly the same routine for two weeks, which might explain Planet Whinge.
We broke it up by going to Chichen Itza (unmissable) and Cancun (extremely missable).

Overall this was a memorable two weeks. Don't be put off by reviewers with personality disorders

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Excellence Riviera Cancun
#2 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
6.2 km away
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!