We Stayed at this resort February 1st to 8th and had a very enjoyable time with our 4 year old girl and 7 month old boy.
I was very concerned about traveling with our kids, especially with our baby boy as I had no idea what to expect, and it is a lot of $$ to spend and to risk not having a good time. I am very happy we took the plunge. (A nice plus for all parents to consider is a very close proximity to the airport after an exhausting flight with kids it is nice to be the first one off the shuttle!)
Rooms- were beautiful and large. We had what was called the "Honeymoon Suite" on Redtag.ca's list of rooms, but I think may be referred to as a Junior Suite with in room Jacuzzi? Beautiful resort and ocean view. Lots of marble and it was immaculately cleaned everyday. I have stayed at a couple all inclusives that were 5 star and this was much better by far.
Food- We mostly ate at the main buffet as it was the easiest with our kids, but we always could find something (usually too much) to eat and the staff there made a point of recognizing you every day, playing with the kids and were prompt with all drinks or cleaning away of dirty dishes. We went to "The Marina" one evening, it took a little time to get in but very speedy service once inside. The grouper fish was excellent. We also went to "The Arrecife" one evening and tried some different dishes, my husband had the steak and it was not his absolute favorite (not sure why he ordered that as we are from near Alberta Canada so of course Alberta beef is a high standard of comparison for anywhere?) but my fish rolls were delicious. The staff here was amazing (Victor), be sure to order the "Mayan Coffee", what a show! And they are just constantly running to satisfy your every whim and keep the tables and atmosphere pretty.
Bartenders- Great service and good drinks. Be sure to try the Lime Margaritas! Not sure the name of the one bartender (he was near the Platinum Club beach) but he made an excellent lime margarita with "real" limes blended in and it was delicious. The servers can be a bit hard to find outside around the pool but when they are around they are very pleasant.
Kids club- our 4 year old daughter was here the last 2 days, and probably a good thing we didn't introduce her to it until then as she would have never spent any time with us! The staff here was amazing and using her name immediately. LOTS of fun things for the kids to do and they are TIRED at the end of a busy day here.
Platinum Club- although we didn't use a lot of the perks, when we did need it to use some of them it was nice to have... reserving the palapas and the dinner reservations, and dvd's was super easy. Staff here was very friendly and attentive.
The Spa- Very relaxing and a soothing atmosphere. I had the theraputic massage- wish it was even longer. I think they should have some kind of massage package for like 3 hours!
The Beach- I have no idea why there was any complaints about the tidiness of the beach on tripadvisor? They are constantly cleaning seaweed and I never found one piece of garbage in the sand. It is not miles long, but there was plenty of room for the people there and it is beautiful. And complaints about rocks? WHAT?!! It's an OCEAN!!!! I honestly can't believe that people could be complaining about this... Ever heard of water shoes? It's nature... stay in your house if you can't prepare a little for a holiday.
The Pool- SOOOOOO clean. It is a little cold, my 7 month old could not be convinced to stay in too long which was a shame- but it is a beautiful and immaculate pool- lots of constant attendance.
The Grounds- Always undergoing constant maintenance to keep them immaculate. Very nicely kept.
Entertainment- We didn't see a lot of this as we relaxed most of the trip and didn't pay attention to the time or events, but when we did catch a couple shows they were great... The group from Playa Del Carmen was amazing (the fire and the Capowaila?)
Front Desk- Saved this one for last as it was really the only thing I felt negative about and didn't want to taint my review. We arrived quite late at night and found the front desk people not too friendly and bordering on confusing. We were friendly and polite and found that not once did they smile or seem inviting. Once we got our room keys we were sort of sent on our way but our luggage was sitting outside so we asked how we should transport it? The gentleman told us that a bellboy would bring it to our room... so we wandered outside into the center or the resort (child and baby in tote) thinking we were supposed to locate our room ourselves. This was a daunting task at midnight and we ended up asking some guests outside, they sort of laughed and said, "Which building?" and then let us know that they use a golf cart to get you there. So we went back to the front desk and he unapologetically told us to go outside where our luggage was and called over a bellboy to take us to our room. We had requested a crib with our initial flight arrangements months before and then again at the front desk and waited an hour and half before calling again to see if it was coming and was told it wasn't, maybe tomorrow. It never did come, but we ended up making a nice make-do crib out of the couch and the cushions which worked probably better than a playpen anyway, so we left that issue alone.
This little blemish is unfortunate as this is your first impression of the entire resort. Myself working in a customer service industry, I believe these front line people should be very cheery (regardless of the hour) and helpful. I know that most of the people that work at this resort are superb and it is a shame that this is not shown at your greeting when you arrive (as most guests are tired from flights, airport delays and so forth and just want to get to their room to relax).
I hate to put anything negative because it really was such a great experience for us. But I do see that the manager closely monitors what is on this site and seems to strive to make the resort the best it can be so I thought it should be mentioned as other guests during my stay also conveyed this to me.
PS- be sure to bring lots of dollar bills. The staff truly deserve it. And "Thank you" to the staff at El Cid for making our vacation a memorable one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Retreat to a luxury paradise of turquoise Caribbean waters, soothing breezes, Mayan cultural sites and beautiful, aromatic flora and fauna. Situated near the charming bohemian fishing village of Puerto Morelos, overlooking the world's second largest coral reef park, this family oriented, all-inclusive beach resort offers a quiet alternative to the larger hotels in Riviera Maya. Enjoy amazing snorkeling, diving, sailing and sport fishing directly from our shores. With a selection of diverse restaurants, fabulous pools, adults-only Jacuzzi, Mayan-oriented spa, complete fitness center, full-service marina and more -- there is everything to do or nothing at all. • Family & Eco friendly Ocean Front Resort • Exclusive large suites • Great All Inclusive & Platinum All Inclusive meal plan options • Four tantalizing restaurants featuring a la carte and delicious buffets • Macondo Ocean Deck Bar with infinity pool • 22,000-square-foot pool • Beautiful landscaping, expansive sandy beach, hammocks. • Convention Center. • Ocean Front El Cocay Spa. • Full-service Marina 120-slip marina • WIFI Internet Access (fee) • Kids Club Center • Fitness center with the latest cardio equipment, free weights and a spinning class area • Pronatours Tour Desk • Half hour from Cancun/Riviera Maya International Airport and 20 minutes from downtown Cancun/Riviera Maya and Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Puerto Morelos
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa And Beach Resort
- Marina El Cid Riviera Maya
- Hotel Marina El Cid Riviera Maya
- El Cid Riviera Maya
- Hotel Marina El Cid Beach
- El Cid Puerto Morelos
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort Riviera Maya/Puerto Morelos, Mexico