“Great Relaxing Week With Our Two Kids!”

Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 10 February 2009

We Stayed at this resort February 1st to 8th and had a very enjoyable time with our 4 year old girl and 7 month old boy.

I was very concerned about traveling with our kids, especially with our baby boy as I had no idea what to expect, and it is a lot of $$ to spend and to risk not having a good time. I am very happy we took the plunge. (A nice plus for all parents to consider is a very close proximity to the airport after an exhausting flight with kids it is nice to be the first one off the shuttle!)

To summarize:

Rooms- were beautiful and large. We had what was called the "Honeymoon Suite" on Redtag.ca's list of rooms, but I think may be referred to as a Junior Suite with in room Jacuzzi? Beautiful resort and ocean view. Lots of marble and it was immaculately cleaned everyday. I have stayed at a couple all inclusives that were 5 star and this was much better by far.

Food- We mostly ate at the main buffet as it was the easiest with our kids, but we always could find something (usually too much) to eat and the staff there made a point of recognizing you every day, playing with the kids and were prompt with all drinks or cleaning away of dirty dishes. We went to "The Marina" one evening, it took a little time to get in but very speedy service once inside. The grouper fish was excellent. We also went to "The Arrecife" one evening and tried some different dishes, my husband had the steak and it was not his absolute favorite (not sure why he ordered that as we are from near Alberta Canada so of course Alberta beef is a high standard of comparison for anywhere?) but my fish rolls were delicious. The staff here was amazing (Victor), be sure to order the "Mayan Coffee", what a show! And they are just constantly running to satisfy your every whim and keep the tables and atmosphere pretty.

Bartenders- Great service and good drinks. Be sure to try the Lime Margaritas! Not sure the name of the one bartender (he was near the Platinum Club beach) but he made an excellent lime margarita with "real" limes blended in and it was delicious. The servers can be a bit hard to find outside around the pool but when they are around they are very pleasant.

Kids club- our 4 year old daughter was here the last 2 days, and probably a good thing we didn't introduce her to it until then as she would have never spent any time with us! The staff here was amazing and using her name immediately. LOTS of fun things for the kids to do and they are TIRED at the end of a busy day here.

Platinum Club- although we didn't use a lot of the perks, when we did need it to use some of them it was nice to have... reserving the palapas and the dinner reservations, and dvd's was super easy. Staff here was very friendly and attentive.

The Spa- Very relaxing and a soothing atmosphere. I had the theraputic massage- wish it was even longer. I think they should have some kind of massage package for like 3 hours!

The Beach- I have no idea why there was any complaints about the tidiness of the beach on tripadvisor? They are constantly cleaning seaweed and I never found one piece of garbage in the sand. It is not miles long, but there was plenty of room for the people there and it is beautiful. And complaints about rocks? WHAT?!! It's an OCEAN!!!! I honestly can't believe that people could be complaining about this... Ever heard of water shoes? It's nature... stay in your house if you can't prepare a little for a holiday.

The Pool- SOOOOOO clean. It is a little cold, my 7 month old could not be convinced to stay in too long which was a shame- but it is a beautiful and immaculate pool- lots of constant attendance.

The Grounds- Always undergoing constant maintenance to keep them immaculate. Very nicely kept.

Entertainment- We didn't see a lot of this as we relaxed most of the trip and didn't pay attention to the time or events, but when we did catch a couple shows they were great... The group from Playa Del Carmen was amazing (the fire and the Capowaila?)

Front Desk- Saved this one for last as it was really the only thing I felt negative about and didn't want to taint my review. We arrived quite late at night and found the front desk people not too friendly and bordering on confusing. We were friendly and polite and found that not once did they smile or seem inviting. Once we got our room keys we were sort of sent on our way but our luggage was sitting outside so we asked how we should transport it? The gentleman told us that a bellboy would bring it to our room... so we wandered outside into the center or the resort (child and baby in tote) thinking we were supposed to locate our room ourselves. This was a daunting task at midnight and we ended up asking some guests outside, they sort of laughed and said, "Which building?" and then let us know that they use a golf cart to get you there. So we went back to the front desk and he unapologetically told us to go outside where our luggage was and called over a bellboy to take us to our room. We had requested a crib with our initial flight arrangements months before and then again at the front desk and waited an hour and half before calling again to see if it was coming and was told it wasn't, maybe tomorrow. It never did come, but we ended up making a nice make-do crib out of the couch and the cushions which worked probably better than a playpen anyway, so we left that issue alone.

This little blemish is unfortunate as this is your first impression of the entire resort. Myself working in a customer service industry, I believe these front line people should be very cheery (regardless of the hour) and helpful. I know that most of the people that work at this resort are superb and it is a shame that this is not shown at your greeting when you arrive (as most guests are tired from flights, airport delays and so forth and just want to get to their room to relax).

I hate to put anything negative because it really was such a great experience for us. But I do see that the manager closely monitors what is on this site and seems to strive to make the resort the best it can be so I thought it should be mentioned as other guests during my stay also conveyed this to me.

PS- be sure to bring lots of dollar bills. The staff truly deserve it. And "Thank you" to the staff at El Cid for making our vacation a memorable one.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
8  Thank Colderinthenorth
RichardBustamante, Operations Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2009

Dear friends from BC:

On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us and also for all the nice comments regarding to our services and facilities.

As you well stat on your nice review we do care a lot about our hotel. I deeply sorry for the bad moment you had experience during your check in.

Please be sure that we will take the inmediate actions and corrections to improve our costumer service at the front desk.

I would like to thank you and your family again
for gave us the oportunity to serve you all and we look forward to your next stay with us in this your hotel.

Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (6,939)

Reviewed 5 February 2009

we took our family vacation jan.22-jan 29. We had five adults and a 17 month old. there is a shortage of highchairs in all of the restuarants. The food does get boring with only the two other resturants besides the buffet. You have to make reservations for the resturants and with the toddler we needed an early one. Hard to get sometimes. We had three adults in a one bedroom apartment, we paid around 400 usd a nite. We had a hard time getting any
spot on the beach, as guest come down around sunrise to throw towels on chaises then go back to bed. You could get a service at the tune of $35 per person, per day and they would go down and put towel on set for you. I paid 400 a nite and felt i should get one. there are 428 rooms and only about 100 chaises

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank nerak2009
RichardBustamante, Operations Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2009

Estimated Guest:

On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your feedback and your suggestions.

I would like to apologize for the inconveniences ocurred during your stay.

I like to comment you that we are in the process to acquire more high chairs and regarding to the beach chairs we already got more.

We try to offer the best quality in our buffets to try to please everyone and we are continuously changing them.

Regarding to restaurant reservations we do have 3 seatings for parents with childrens under 6, so in the other seatings the rest of our guests can enjoy a nice dinner.

I would like to ask for another opportunity in your next visit to Puerto Morelos so you can experience our improvements.

Sincerely

Reviewed 5 February 2009

My family stayed at the resort on December 27th through January 2nd. Our stay ended on a very bad note. The morning we checked out my husband was to retrieve all of the items in the safe. He did not see my wedding ring because it had probably been pushed to the side and it is somewhat dark in the closet where the safe is located. The morning we checked out it was chaotic trying to get everything done to leave for the airport. I completely forgot to ask him about my ring until we were at the airport. I called the hotel and they said they would check the safe. They told me they talked with everyone involved with the room and no one had seen the ring.
For a week after we returned, I spoke with various individuals at the hotel.
I was extremely disappointed that management could not discover the employee who stole my ring. The way I figure it, probably 1 or 2 employees went in that room after we checked out. The management could have found out who took my ring if they wanted to because you know that person most likely told someone else and I even offered a reward for information leading to the identity of the person.

Anyway, my wedding ring which I had for 22 years was never returned and the hotel didn't really seem to care that an employee of theirs committed this crime. So my suggestion to people who want to go to this hotel is to keep looking for another hotel where your valuables are safe.

Stayed: December 2008
Rickyrrey, Resident Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2009

Dear Traveler.-
We feel really sorry for the inconveniente. Allow me to explain you that as soon as we have been informed that you forgot your ring in the safe, we do make our best to investigate and see with all the staff of housekeeping and maintenance, and also with the guest, that made check-in in your room. I personnaly went to inquire with each person, but I did not receive any positive notice above your question. I do personally feel sorry for this situation, that makes difficult for you to erase the bad impresión you felt with us, relieve me that we will always be ready to help you and be available for you.

Reviewed 4 February 2009

We stayed at El Cid from January 21-28, and our group consisted of 5 girls ages 23-28. We were somewhat nervous after reading reviews, but we had an ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS TIME!!! The resort itself was beautiful and clean, we had 2 rooms and they were both great and had wonderful views; we were in buildings 16 & 17. There was nightly entertainment in the convention centre which was good, as well as live music in the lobby each night. It is a more quiet resort and things shut down around 11 pm. However, the entertainment staff had arranged nightly trips to Cancun to different clubs for about $45 (included transportation and open bar). We also did a Cancun pubcrawl as well. There were a few nights that we were in bed by 11 pm but it was great cause we were hoping for a relaxing evening!
The pool was absolutely fabulous!! After a few drinks we even hit up the cliff jump and waterslide. The beach was great too, not sure what everyone is complaining about. The water is rocky due to the reef, but it is much less rocky on the right side. The drink service on the beach was great, and we were even pulled aside one day for 5 mins of complimentary massages on the beach....it was awesome!!
The food was great as well! I have been to numerous resorts in Mexico, Dominican and Jamaica, and this resort had one of the best selections of food ever. We hit up the a 'la cartes a few times, our favorite was Alzacar....it was unbelievable!! The menu changes every single night, and each time the food was just awesome!!! We also ordered room service a few times and everything came within about 40 mins and tasted good!
One afternoon we decided to hit up the spa, and it was a great choice. They even moved all 5 massage beds onto the pier out in the water so that we could have them together!!
The entertainment staff made our trip. They were always asking us to do activities during the day, so we didn't even have a chance to be bored!!
The only complaint we had was that there never seemed to be enough loungers. The resort has a large number of them, but it was at full capacity when we were there, and I would get up at 7 am and would have trouble finding anything on the beach. The loungers are reserved for Platinum Club very early, so that is a challenge. We always managed to find enough each day, it would just require moving them from the other side of the pool etc....not a big deal.
Also, the maid service was great. Our rooms were always cleaned nice and our fridge was restocked. If you want more pop/beer/water then just ask for it or call room service. I left tips for the maids and they were always most grateful, even stopping me in the hallway to say thank you.
All in all, it was a fabulous vacation, and we would definately return to El Cid!!!

• Stayed: January 2009
5  Thank sun_lover290
RichardBustamante, Operations Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2009

Dear Guest:

What a pleasure to hear that you and your friends had a beautiful stay with us.

We really appreciate your feedback and your nice comments.

We always share this reviews with all our staff so they learn and know about our guest experiences.

I would like to mention that we already acquired more beach loungers.

On behalf of all the employees of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I truly thank you for your preference and hope to see you again soon.

Regards

Reviewed 3 February 2009

Be carefull with the crooks in the gift shop. I went there to buy a phone card, they told me it was 8$. I had a 20$ bill and they wanted to give me the change in pesos. I didnt want pesos so i went back to my room and got 8$ even. When i went back to the gift shop with 8$ they told me the card was 10$. I explained i was there 5 mins earliear and the price was 8, she then rememberd me and said she would give it to me for 8. She tried to steal 2$ from me. I then went and spoke to Hugo at the front desk. Who was pretty much useless. I demanded a writen apology and am curently waiting for it. I doubt its comeing because he neglected to take any of my info. I am still here managment if you want to talk! I am leaving on FEB 6TH. Lets see if you respond in time

Pete Diak

• Stayed: February 2009

Estimated Guest:

I have been trying to get in touch with you, but I could not find you under the name you used on the trip advisor.

I would really appreciate if you can contact me while you still are in the hotel.

Our main priority is to have satisfied guests and I would really appreciate if you please could contact me so I can offer you a solution and an apologize for the incident that you had experienced.

Sincerely