7,592 results
All reviews platinum club murphy bed cliff jump infinity pool time share platinum service platinum room bedroom suite kids club convention center water shoes boogie boards italian restaurant family vacation fire show main pool swim up bar
Reviewed 5 February 2009

we took our family vacation jan.22-jan 29. We had five adults and a 17 month old. there is a shortage of highchairs in all of the restuarants. The food does get boring with only the two other resturants besides the buffet. You have to make reservations for the resturants and with the toddler we needed an early one. Hard to get sometimes. We had three adults in a one bedroom apartment, we paid around 400 usd a nite. We had a hard time getting any
spot on the beach, as guest come down around sunrise to throw towels on chaises then go back to bed. You could get a service at the tune of $35 per person, per day and they would go down and put towel on set for you. I paid 400 a nite and felt i should get one. there are 428 rooms and only about 100 chaises

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank nerak2009
RichardBustamante, Operations Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2009

Estimated Guest:

On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your feedback and your suggestions.

I would like to apologize for the inconveniences ocurred during your stay.

I like to comment you that we are in the process to acquire more high chairs and regarding to the beach chairs we already got more.

We try to offer the best quality in our buffets to try to please everyone and we are continuously changing them.

Regarding to restaurant reservations we do have 3 seatings for parents with childrens under 6, so in the other seatings the rest of our guests can enjoy a nice dinner.

I would like to ask for another opportunity in your next visit to Puerto Morelos so you can experience our improvements.

Sincerely

Reviewed 5 February 2009

My family stayed at the resort on December 27th through January 2nd. Our stay ended on a very bad note. The morning we checked out my husband was to retrieve all of the items in the safe. He did not see my wedding ring because it had probably been pushed to the side and it is somewhat dark in the closet where the safe is located. The morning we checked out it was chaotic trying to get everything done to leave for the airport. I completely forgot to ask him about my ring until we were at the airport. I called the hotel and they said they would check the safe. They told me they talked with everyone involved with the room and no one had seen the ring.
For a week after we returned, I spoke with various individuals at the hotel.
I was extremely disappointed that management could not discover the employee who stole my ring. The way I figure it, probably 1 or 2 employees went in that room after we checked out. The management could have found out who took my ring if they wanted to because you know that person most likely told someone else and I even offered a reward for information leading to the identity of the person.

Anyway, my wedding ring which I had for 22 years was never returned and the hotel didn't really seem to care that an employee of theirs committed this crime. So my suggestion to people who want to go to this hotel is to keep looking for another hotel where your valuables are safe.

Stayed: December 2008
Rickyrrey, Resident Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2009

Dear Traveler.-
We feel really sorry for the inconveniente. Allow me to explain you that as soon as we have been informed that you forgot your ring in the safe, we do make our best to investigate and see with all the staff of housekeeping and maintenance, and also with the guest, that made check-in in your room. I personnaly went to inquire with each person, but I did not receive any positive notice above your question. I do personally feel sorry for this situation, that makes difficult for you to erase the bad impresión you felt with us, relieve me that we will always be ready to help you and be available for you.

Reviewed 4 February 2009

We stayed at El Cid from January 21-28, and our group consisted of 5 girls ages 23-28. We were somewhat nervous after reading reviews, but we had an ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS TIME!!! The resort itself was beautiful and clean, we had 2 rooms and they were both great and had wonderful views; we were in buildings 16 & 17. There was nightly entertainment in the convention centre which was good, as well as live music in the lobby each night. It is a more quiet resort and things shut down around 11 pm. However, the entertainment staff had arranged nightly trips to Cancun to different clubs for about $45 (included transportation and open bar). We also did a Cancun pubcrawl as well. There were a few nights that we were in bed by 11 pm but it was great cause we were hoping for a relaxing evening!
The pool was absolutely fabulous!! After a few drinks we even hit up the cliff jump and waterslide. The beach was great too, not sure what everyone is complaining about. The water is rocky due to the reef, but it is much less rocky on the right side. The drink service on the beach was great, and we were even pulled aside one day for 5 mins of complimentary massages on the beach....it was awesome!!
The food was great as well! I have been to numerous resorts in Mexico, Dominican and Jamaica, and this resort had one of the best selections of food ever. We hit up the a 'la cartes a few times, our favorite was Alzacar....it was unbelievable!! The menu changes every single night, and each time the food was just awesome!!! We also ordered room service a few times and everything came within about 40 mins and tasted good!
One afternoon we decided to hit up the spa, and it was a great choice. They even moved all 5 massage beds onto the pier out in the water so that we could have them together!!
The entertainment staff made our trip. They were always asking us to do activities during the day, so we didn't even have a chance to be bored!!
The only complaint we had was that there never seemed to be enough loungers. The resort has a large number of them, but it was at full capacity when we were there, and I would get up at 7 am and would have trouble finding anything on the beach. The loungers are reserved for Platinum Club very early, so that is a challenge. We always managed to find enough each day, it would just require moving them from the other side of the pool etc....not a big deal.
Also, the maid service was great. Our rooms were always cleaned nice and our fridge was restocked. If you want more pop/beer/water then just ask for it or call room service. I left tips for the maids and they were always most grateful, even stopping me in the hallway to say thank you.
All in all, it was a fabulous vacation, and we would definately return to El Cid!!!

• Stayed: January 2009
5  Thank sun_lover290
RichardBustamante, Operations Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2009

Dear Guest:

What a pleasure to hear that you and your friends had a beautiful stay with us.

We really appreciate your feedback and your nice comments.

We always share this reviews with all our staff so they learn and know about our guest experiences.

I would like to mention that we already acquired more beach loungers.

On behalf of all the employees of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I truly thank you for your preference and hope to see you again soon.

Regards

Reviewed 3 February 2009

Be carefull with the crooks in the gift shop. I went there to buy a phone card, they told me it was 8$. I had a 20$ bill and they wanted to give me the change in pesos. I didnt want pesos so i went back to my room and got 8$ even. When i went back to the gift shop with 8$ they told me the card was 10$. I explained i was there 5 mins earliear and the price was 8, she then rememberd me and said she would give it to me for 8. She tried to steal 2$ from me. I then went and spoke to Hugo at the front desk. Who was pretty much useless. I demanded a writen apology and am curently waiting for it. I doubt its comeing because he neglected to take any of my info. I am still here managment if you want to talk! I am leaving on FEB 6TH. Lets see if you respond in time

Pete Diak

• Stayed: February 2009

Estimated Guest:

I have been trying to get in touch with you, but I could not find you under the name you used on the trip advisor.

I would really appreciate if you can contact me while you still are in the hotel.

Our main priority is to have satisfied guests and I would really appreciate if you please could contact me so I can offer you a solution and an apologize for the incident that you had experienced.

Sincerely

Reviewed 3 February 2009

We have traveled the Yucatan Peninsula the past 6 years and stayed at many hotels and resorts through out. The service at the El Cid has been the best. We actually requested our waiters to slow down between courses.
The whole staff was very friendly and spoke english, except for some of the house keeping staff. Even the guy cleaning the jacuzzi would wave and say good morning every day.
We did not experience any major problems with our stay but in speaking with other guests who did, the staff went above and beyond to please them including an upgrade to Platinum, or champagne and goodies in their room or another reservation at the marina restaurant (you're usually allowed to eat once there).
We did experience a mistake made by staff and after it was brought to their attention, we went back to our room to find a plate of pastries, champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. The next night, the staff made a special reservation at the lobby restaurant with another bottle of champagne. They truly went above and beyond.
The food was fantastic. The buffet and the restaurants have a different menu every night.
There is entertainment every night around 9PM, usually at the conference center or by the pool. There are also outdoor movies shown at the adult (quiet) area by the jacuzzi. The lobby bar also has live entertainment each night.
There is a quiet bar at the end of the beach near the volley ball court. We didn't find this bar until the 3rd night and what a nice atmosphere to sit on bean bag type stools listening to jimmy buffet and the waves crashing.
We had read before we left that the surf had rocks-and there are some. This stretch of the Riviera is part of a natural and protected reef. As such, be prepared and bring water shoes. It seamed the area of the beach closer to the marina was more sandy. The beach itself is white powdery sand and it is cleaned every morning.
One word of caution. The slide in the pool is unforgiving to adults. Kids seem to do fine. When I went down, it flipped me on my stomach and when it was over, both elbows and knees where scraped and I had long scratches on my wrist, shin and torso. My partner wound up with similar scratches and a lump on his head from banging into the concrete sides. As another guy put it, it was like sliding down on 10 grit sand paper. His girlfriend, whose top opened on the way down, said that was not an enjoyable experience at all-I did not need to do that.
Overall, this is a great resort and I highly recommend it. One of the staff members stated that all the employees are happy here and the resort is not so big that they can't offer personal service. Her statement is true and clearly shows-Thanks everyone at the El Cid for a great holiday stay!!!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GLPJ

Dear friends from Rochester:

I would like to express my most sincere appreciation for your nice review.

On behalf of all the staff of Hotel marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to say thank you for select our hotel for your vacations.

I would like to comment you that we are already working on the maintenance of our water slide.

I hope is not too cold in New York and if you plan to escape from cold again please think on our hotel, it will be an honor if you can visit us again to pamper you as you deserve.

Regards