Book now! This hotel is likely to sell out soon.
Lowest price we found
US$1,950
View deal
Hotels.com
Travelocity
1,435 results
All reviews sierra mar tree house upper coast pacific suite infinity hot tubs the cliff glass of champagne mini bar meditation pool worth every penny ocean view house room spa treatments bucket list heaven on earth special occasion once in a lifetime
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 March 2021 via mobile

This was our second stay at the Post Ranch Inn. Our first stay was this same time last year, and it was exceptional / Five Stars. This is a truly special property, and that, combined with excellent service and food convinced us that the Post Ranch Inn was worth the (very steep) price. However, this year our experience was a little different.

For our most recent trip, we booked a Tree House, and it was first rate — gorgeous ocean and tree views, lovely, rustic decor and understated amenities. Where we had some bumps were with cleanliness and service. Despite advertising a special COVID cleaning protocol, the IPad that controlled the music in our room clearly had not been cleaned prior to our arrival (though cleaning solition and microfiber cloths were available). Similarly, we noticed at least two occasions when tables were not properly cleaned in the restaurant. We watched as the host tried to seat another couple at a dirty table, and then experienced the same thing ourselves the next morning at breakfast. (All seating was on the patio and set up very well for social distancing.)

On the service side, we received a warm welcome and were impressed that the staff knew from last year’s visit that we were celebrating a birthday. We also received wonderful service from Bryan, our dinner server for 2 nights. However, when we asked to have our mini bar area restocked while we were at dinner, we were disappointed to find that the staff had not cleared away the dirty dish ware on the bar in the process. We also asked if our stay could be extended for an additional night. When we did not hear back, I asked the woman at the front desk and she replied that she’d left me a voice mail. I checked both my phone and room voice mails, and if she’d left a message it was not delivered. In the end, we decided not to stay the additional night partly because of the tone of this interaction.

At checkout I told the person at the desk that our stay had been “good plus, but not excellent,” citing the cleanliness and service gaffes above. He said that he would “note it,” and also awkwardly applied a small credit to our bill. This was fine, but actually underscored the less-than-exceptional service experience this visit.

I understand that this is a very difficult and stressful time for all of us, and even more so for people who do front line work in the hospitality industry. In my judgement, however, the issues we had this trip reflect more on management than on the staff. Things felt a little disorganized and a little off for a hotel at this level. The Post Ranch Inn is an exceptional property, and when the service is on, it’s worth every penny. But in this trip, we were left a little disappointed, and so can give only four stars. We will likely return, but our enthusiasm is just a little dampened....

Date of stay: March 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Philip Hildreth, Innkeeper at Post Ranch Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2021

Greetings!! Thank you so much for sharing your experience. My sincerest apologies for not reaching the level of service that both you and I expect. I must say we missed the service mark on multiple levels and we will learn from your comments. Cleanliness is up there with the most basic expectations and I assure you your experience is not the norm. I hope that you enjoyed your birthday celebration and the bottle of champagne as well as some peace and quiet during your stay. I look forward to the opportunity to have you back with us so that you can feel the love from Post Ranch, the sincere dedication of our Team and the sense of rejuvenation and beauty that Big Sur holds for you.
Again, thank you for your honesty and remember that this is how we get better.

Your Friends at Post Ranch Inn

Reviewed 3 March 2021

This is the hotel that genuinely integrates architecture with nature. You can not help yourself but to breathe out the stress and breathe in tranquility. I love it here, from the enchanting forest to the open ocean views. The staff, food, and service are world-class.

Dear Howard,

Thank you very much! On behalf of the Team and architect Mickey Muennig we appreciate your comments. Thank you for choosing us of all the places you could go. Looking forward to your return.

Take care,

Your Friends at Post Ranch Inn

Reviewed 2 March 2021

beautiful architecture, landscape, service. I stayed for only a weekend but it felt like a whole week. felt very rejuvenated after our stay. the pools are mesmerising and offer beautiful views over the ocean.

the service is impeccable. it's worth every penny and we will be coming back.

Reviewed 2 March 2021

magical place- must see- quality is a little down from last time i came. but overall great. do not have them pick you up at airport- they do not show up sadly until its too late. the food is amazing / just like the views . its a spiritual place and a must see.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Philip Hildreth, Innkeeper at Post Ranch Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2021

Dear Jason,

We are so happy you enjoyed your trip to Post Ranch and Big Sur. The weather was amazing during your time here and I'm so glad you two were able to enjoy it. My sincerest apology for our driver being late to the airport for your pick up. This was the first time in years that something like this has happened. I only hope that we won you over upon arrival.
Please keep us in your thoughts and we will see you soon!!

Your friends here at Post Ranch Inn

Reviewed 26 February 2021

Amazing experience! Loved every minute. I’m a well traveler but the sites I saw on this property and what I experienced was truly one of a kind! Loved every moment. Made my birthday weekend! Thank you!