Coast Gallery Big Sur
Ranked #14 of 33 things to do in Big Sur
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Fine arts and crafts gallery.
Reviewed 29 June 2016 via mobile

The drive is beautiful! There are pull offs to get those pretty pictures. Some people try to scare you but just drive for the conditions. We drove daytime pulling a 34 for rv, no problems except not as easy for us to pull over at all pull offs. We still got some great views heading north. Don't forget Elephant Seal rock. A MUST!

1  Thank Liz Everett W

Reviewed 7 June 2016

The front gallery is nice. The back gallery is filled with overstock and worthless stuff that will end up in garage sales by next spring.

And, how unfriendly that they have a sign that says "Public Bathrooms are 5 mile north, or south." I didn't have to use one, but c'mon...did they have to put that up? I hope they realize that most of their visitors are traveling up or down the coast along HWY1.

Besides, the gallery across from nepenthe has nicer things. You can probably drive past this one and you wouldn't miss anything.

Reviewed 7 May 2016

Title: Big Sur Drive – Wonderful and Lovely
Date: 21.06.2016
Big Sur Coast is known for its scenic beauties. The coast is world renowned. Drive followed by rocky and picturesque California coastline on the side of Pacific Ocean.
We started from the residence of my son at 875 Lock Haven Drive, Los Altos. My son, his wife, and my daughter were periodically on the steering. My wife and grandson was the tour companion. On the way my son purchased breakfast packets.
I came to know that the coastal scenic drive begins in Monterey and travels to San Luis Obispo.
The Big Sur scenic drive travels alongside the Pacific Ocean with spectacular views in every direction. Mountain on the left side and Pacific Ocean on the right is worth mentioning. We saw a lighthouse in the ocean and few ships. My grandson was delighted to the ships floating and moving. On the way we could see many beaches and points of attractions. But we could not see all of them. We spent ample time at the Pigeon Point.
Pigeon point: Pigeon Point Lighthouse was built in 1871 to guide ships on the Pacific coast of California. It is the tallest lighthouse on the ocean on the West Coast of the United States. Pigeon Point Lighthouse is still an active Coast Guard aid helping navigators. The lighthouse and the surrounding land have been preserved as Pigeon Point Light Station State Historic Park. This park is a California State Park. The lighthouse is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and designated as a California Historical Landmark. I took photos of the Lighthouse and Sea lions at this point.
From this point we started. On the way we saw many letter boxes. On interrogation we came to know many people reside on the mountains. It is difficult to deliver letters to all the recipients for obvious reasons. So are the letter boxes at the road level.
After driving further I noticed a board River Street (Downtown Santa Cruz). I took photo. After driving further we reached Lucia Point, In fact taking lunch at Lucia Lodge was planned. About a year back my son stayed his wife and son in the lodge for two days. That is why he advocated for the meal and the sight. No doubt that we all enjoyed the lunch. But what we enjoyed more is the scenes in front of dining table under umbrella.
While returning, we could view a yellow colour Cactus.
The spectacular beauty I enjoyed during Big Sur Drive will stay in my memory for ever and ever after.

2  Thank Uday Kumar H
Reviewed 24 March 2016

The gallery had many pretty items but the cafe was the real highlight! The cafe is located on a great sun deck and has very friendly staff who take pride in delivering quality food.

Reviewed 24 March 2016

The Coast Gallery in Big Sur is a stop worth the time to wander through the art gallery on multiple levels; have a snack; just sit and gaze out at the beauty and awe-inspiring views of the Pacific. Highly recommended!