“THE REAL BIG SUR - PERFECT!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Gorda Springs Resort
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Reviewed 17 April 2011

If you want to experience the lost coast at its best, Gorda Springs has it all. You are truly in the middle of the lost coast with cabins, pampas grass, flowers, birds, and incredible sunsets. You are right on the side of the mountain, directly across the road from the ocean. Here highway 1 is just a two lane road. Big Sur is north and San Simeon is south. If you love the true appeal of the Big Sur coast, this is the place. Take heed though. If you want your television set to drown out the sound of the ocean....if you want regular phone calls, if you are a Best Western kind of person, don't bother staying here. Leave it for those who can appreciate this incredible area and want to enjoy it like a local. Lynn and Hunter

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynn J

Reviewed 20 March 2011

...Not what we expected...The website and the friendliness of the person answering the phone, when I called to make reservations, led me to believe that Gorda Springs, Big Sur, CA was a quiet, "low key" type of lodging. Unfortunately, when we got there, we found that the friendly manner of the store/lodging staff was the ONLY aspect true to form.
Here is a quick list of the problems we encountered and why I felt obligated to refute the several oddly vague, positive reviews (friends of the owner, perhaps??):

1. a sign indicating that in May 2010 the water was determined unsafe for consumption by the State of California. Only once we asked about this (not when I called to book nor when I called weeks later to confirm our reservation) were we told we could bathe in it, but to "grab as many waters as you need" from their vending cases for any other use! They still have been "unable" to fix the issue w/the water safety (not potable) since last year.

2. the room we had was above the general store and all night we could hear customers (?) talking not only on the phone, but could also hear the voice on the other end - in addition to customers or workers sitting below at the outdoor cafe area (after 10 pm) playing music on their laptop computers.

3. The bathroom in the cafe was not stocked nor clean and once it was stocked so that we could use it, the knob on the faucet came completely off.

4. The bathroom in the "hotel" room had orange (mildew?) stains in the showerhead and black stains in the corners of the tub. The soaps left on the counter were also old and the wrappers stained. The sleeper sofa's upholstery was dark w/an oily looking set of stains. The fireplace (gas) worked intermittently and some of the slats on the blinds were missing. All this "paradise" for a small ocean view and over $100 for the night.

5. The price for the cafe food was very elevated, even for Big Sur ($13.00 for a bowl of clam chowder and over $6 for a stale strawberry jam dessert bar, etc). The deli sandwhich we had was simple, but at least tasted good and was more reasonably priced given the large size of the sandwhich.

The only good thing to be said about this establishment is that the staff try to help as best they can, being friendly in the process, and it's one of the few places for a long stretch where you can get gasoline for your car (at almost $6.00 a gallon, of course).

I wish we'd just "eaten" the cost to cancel our reservation that day.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank laughterafter
Reviewed 7 March 2011

If you are unfortunate enough to have to stay here you'd be better off reversing off the cliff and sleeping in the seaweed.
Most people seem to stop here becasue it'sgetting dark and the highway is dangerous enough.
About 2 miles south of this cess pit is a much better motel, not sure of name, and about 2 miles north is another which looks better.
$75 a night I was charged for room D but on the bright side I got extra hair on my sheets and a free clump of hair in the shower.
I counted 14 bulbs in the room and 2 worked,there was no TV,gas fireplace didn't work...etc etc etc....

• Stayed: February 2011
3  Thank Treblecle
Reviewed 21 February 2011

En route to San Simeon, I decided to give this place a try - despite what I read online. In speaking to the staff, I learned that Gorda is in the middle of a HUGE management transition and that the family taking it on have nothing but the best intentions for it. I instantly felt at home here, I fell in love with the rustic feel of my cabin and couldn't get enough of the view. Gorda is sustainably run and operates with people who care for each other like family. I felt recharged and ready to take on the world after staying.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank mongca
Reviewed 28 January 2011

We traveled to this resort with some friends with the intention of reacquainting with ourselves and nature. The sunsets are breath-taking. The resort overlooks the ocean and it was a beautiful sight to sit and enjoy some local wine and watch the sunset. The hotel is rustic and charming. The staff is super friendly and if you need anything that is not in your room, it will be brought to you. There is a restaurant on site with good food. It is quiet and serene with no intrusion of telephones or noise. You can go hiking in the mountains during the day or go for a picnic lunch at the Salmon trail a few minutes away.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
51.8 km away
Fernwood Resort
Fernwood Resort
#2 of 2 in Big Sur

Been to Gorda Springs Resort? Share your experiences!