“Soooo goooood!!!!!!”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 October 2016 via mobile

Some place!!!!
It's hide on the countryside of Bologna, actually, nearby Castelmaggiore.
The "lumache" are sensational !!!
Taste and presentation are really over the rate!!!!
I'll definitely comeback soon!!!
The place is beautiful, wine choice (Franciacorta) was great!!! ... and the personal has a special attention to all of us!
Just love it!!!

Reviewed 16 July 2015

Greeted by the owner who explained the menu to us in English. I ate vegetarian as they were happy to cook and my husband had a fish dish. Starters were our favorite my zucchini flan and his anchovies with buratta were simple and amazingly!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We went here with some friends on the last night of our holiday and it was really nice. The owner was extremely hospitable and we had some really nice local dishes in a traditional upmarket environment with great service.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

We visit this restorante for several years, two times a year at least, and evry visit we are welcomed with open arms by the owner of the restorante and his warm family. The food is excellent, the service is very good, and the place is warm and nice.evry time when we come to italy from Israel we must visit there.

3  Thank Leah R
Reviewed 1 January 2013

What a dissapointment! Having visited Chiocciola every time we visited family in Italy and having had a very enjoyable meal each time, we decided to spend New Years Eve in Chiocciola and unfortunately this has soured this restaurant terribly for us.

Chiocciola was offering a set menu at 55 euro a head excluding wine for the evening, the same price as the usual set menu. Given the quality of the food normally we thought this would be an excellent way to pass New Years Eve. Fine food, the company of people who share a love for food, together with the warmth of a restaurant that had previously offered a real hospitable welcome. How wrong could we be?

First the atmosphere, I have seen more life in a morgue. We were sat in a second room that is not usually used by the restaurant and it was dingy and lacking any kind of festive spirit. We were expecting at least a nod to the fact that this was essentially a New Year party, but there was nothing. Our table was about the worst in the restaurant, although we booked one month in advance and were staying the night. Nothing like the usual tables for two, think a small table for a school dining room! It was all a little sad. We arrived at 8.50, no menu choices to be made so we were expecting to be greeted by an apperitivi as is common in good Italian restaurants even outside of New Year eve. Nothing, a blank table, followed by a 10 minute wait to have someone arrive to choose the wine (which was at least good, although as you paid extra for this I would have hoped so). Then the interminable wait for the first course, at least 30 minutes. In a michelin restaurat no matter how busy or what the occasion this is completely unacceptable. When it did arrive the food in no way matched the usual standard. Bland in taste and lacking in the normal attention to detail that make this resturant usually such a stand out. What is worse is that it was 22.30 before we had been served the two antipasti, the second of which (rombo) had a sauce which did resemble a school canteen. The primi were just as bad, the gnocchi overcooked with vongole that had lost texture and the dish was a little slimey. The risotto was undercooked and over salted, with the game meat overcooked and stewed. The main of veal was almost inedible, the meat was hard and lacking in texture and the sauce tasting of stewed carrot. The dessert at least was good, although the sugar on the creme brulee was not caramelised as the dessert was sent, lazy cooking for a michelin restaurant and I do not care if it was New Years eve.

I do not expect perfection on New Years Eve, it is difficult to serve so many people. But for a restauranter of such experience this was, in my view, a disaster, in fact my wife almost cried. It pains me to say this but I felt ripped off, the food was not the usual quality, the standard of cooking appalling and the atmosphere for a New Year party completely missing. We did get a glass of spumanti to toast the New Year, but if this had not arrived it would have been very rude.

We stayed the night, the room was at least very comfortable, with a very good bathroom and breakfast good. It did not redeem the night before though.

2  Thank Nick H
adalbertomiglio, Proprietario at La Chiocciola, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2013

I am reading only now about yours evening and I am extremely sorry..and I have not words that again so sorry...