All reviews scilly cay other guests gracious hosts ceiling fan rooms are beautiful minute drive maria breeze beaches island rope
Reviewed 1 March 2008

We're just back from 10 days in Anguilla and the Arawak Inn. When we make our yearly visit to another island, quite a bit of research is done many months before hand to get the plan together. We enjoy a comfortable, 2nd floor, oceanfront,balcony room. We also like to rent a car to see and do as much as can be fit in.
Anguilla is beyond question a destination for anyone wanting to see and stroll on the most gorgeous beaches on the planet. Yes, the developers have started yet there is so much left. Horseback riding on the beach was a plus along with the local restaurants, and the friendly residents.
The Arawak needs some attention as others have stated. The owner is someone in NY who does not realize that even a small attention to detail would be a big help for the place. The bed was very comfortable, trade winds 24/7,great view, iron shore for a beach [yet we knew this before going]. The grounds are not kept well[it didn't bother us],the rooms need some painting and updating[didn't bother us],the pool is clean and we had no bugs.
Now for the best part....Those that run the Inn. Maria ,
her family and the rest of the staff are true Gems. Always pleasant, willing to accommodate, and some of the best food on the island. As stated before... if your intent is a nice place to stay at a fair price on the Ocean and you like to get out during the day,then this is just a dandy! Coming back late afternoons or in the AM, being treated by Maria and the rest of the staff was a plus.
We flew on A/A to St. Martin from MIA, Funtime Charters took us across to the island. Maybe try Linx charters as they were a bit less $ and eager for the business. Shoal Bay is just 5 mins. from the Arawak and has the finest white sand, no crowds, Oh!...and the Sunset grill on the beach. We spent many hours here with a good book.
We've never hit the same island twice...yet this could be a first along with Maria's place.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Tgoes
Reviewed 8 July 2007

This seems to be a place where old friends return again and again. We were there for one week, and probably wouldn't choose to return if we visited Anguilla again, although I do appreciate the attraction.
Our room was fine, with fridge and TV, large comfortable bed, terrace overlooking the harbour boats, and it was certainly big enough. The bathroom was adequate, although I would have dearly loved to take a scrubbing brush to the tiled floor and shower! We had no problem with the water pressure previously experienced by other reviewers. Fresh towels readily available, including beach towels. Laundry service was not expensive at $8.50 per load, although the second time we used it I had to sort our clothes out from a large pile of unfolded and only just dry washing in the laundry room. The pool was good and refreshing after a hot day out but would benefit from some shade for the sunloungers.
The cafe was a mixed experience. Food surprisingly good but service generally s-l-o-w, very, very, slow. The whole business of the inn seems to take place in the cafe - phone ringing, people checking in and out, taking bookings, food orders, etc. Also it is a popular place for the locals to call in for take-out food, mostly pizza. As a result it is noisy and tends to have children running in and out. People also visit the kitchen as a matter of course, as if it were a family kitchen. This would be illegal in UK on hygiene grounds. Unfortunately there is no restriction on smoking in the cafe - probably because Maria herself is a smoker.
Maria (and Maurice) are extremely helpful and can arrange a car hire for you with just a phone call. They will also advise you on beaches and restaurants to visit. Maria's three children are a delight and help out in the cafe.
Overall the main impression is of friendly, noisy, chaos. If you want a quiet (or romantic) break then this may not be the place,but if you like to be involved in the inn and fellow guests then give it a try.

• Stayed: July 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank TravellerVera
Reviewed 11 June 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Arawak for 4 nights. First of all, let me say Anguilla is a beautiful island that has wonderful beaches. Unfortunately, the Arawak is nowhere near them. You have to drive to get to any of them.

The Arawak is also very laid back. Almost too laid back. It's as if the owners built it so they could hang out in the Caribbean, rather than run a hotel in the Caribbean.

The rooms were mostly clean but the bathrooms don't always function quite right (water pressure is abysmal). The siding on the rooms is falling off in places and the "beach" outside the hotel (a coral beach) is littered with trash.

While we were there, we fell in love with Anguilla - but not with the Arawak.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
14  Thank brian61199
Reviewed 8 June 2007

I've spent a fair amount of time knocking around the Caribbean at places where I was wined & dined by the big hotels just to get some group travel business, but I've never returned to a single one of them. The Arawak, on the other hand, impressed me from the very instant I walked in the tiny lobby/bar - simply because I was handed the world's best Bloody Mary (Maurice style) on the house. With a dozen other guests enjoying this genuine happy hour, how could you not be taken in by the authenticity of this delightful small inn.

I literally stumbled on the place during a side-trip from St Martin, which was starting to wear on me. I met up with a Frenchman who said he'd show me Anguilla and "voila" - I was hooked. I packed up and spent the rest of my February vacation at the Arawak. By no means fancy, it's charms are down to earth and affordable - just exactly what I was looking for. With a car, you can roam this tiny island and find a number of out-of the-way spots to occupy your after hours - when you've had enough of the incredible beaches that virtually surround the Arawak.

The Arawak may not be for everyone, but if more people tried it, Maurice and Maria could make this the best casual stay on the island - maybe in the whole damn Caribbean. I hope they do.

One more thing... the Seafood Fettuccine was the best this traveler's ever tasted.

4  Thank studleyroyal
Reviewed 22 May 2007

You will enjoy the picture-perfect view of the harbor from your pastel-colored duplex only minutes away from a quiet aqua-colored cove. Maria,her children and Maurice and staff were very intent on making our stay an enjoyable one- they even made an Anniversary cake for us. Luckily we had the package plan that included all breakfasts and some dinners-they were excellent - as good as the pricy restaurants down the road so we ended up having most of our meals there. The hotel is in the more beautiful and unspoiled side of the island. Joe, a native Anguillan took us by boat to Scrub Island - a memorable trip although the trip out was a little rough but once there my husband snorkled, Joe fished and I enjoyed just laying in the sun.

If you want a Marriott-type hotel for vacation, this may not be the place for you. This is a quiet about l7 unit hotel perhaps not as well furnished as you may feel you need but great for a get-away and for kids. We had an upstairs room without AC that had a fan and with the tradewinds we managed the warm weather but there are rooms with AC if you forsee a problem.

Its not the St. Regis so I would have to give it a 4 l/2 but a place we will remember and recommend. Thanks again Maria -

Stayed: May 2007