“My Birthday Outing. ”

Cross Keys
Ranked #27 of 229 Restaurants in Newark-on-Trent
Cuisines: French, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A friendly, warm atmosphere in which to enjoy great home cooked, fresh food which is locally sourced where possible and lovingly prepared by our French Chef who has a penchant for Fish Dishes.
Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Thought we would, for me at least, try somewhere new. So, we tried "The Keys" at Upton.
I had grilled Swordfish, with stir fried vegetables. Loved it! Really loved it. Lovely atmosphere, full of character and something more than mere charm.
This area is blessed with excellent restaurants and "The Keys" seems to specialise in seafood, at least to some degree.
Try it. Try the swordfish. Super.

2  Thank Andrew P

Reviewed 11 July 2017

We were recommended to visit here by our neighbours so decided to ask them to join us for a meal on a Saturday evening. The menu choice was very limited and had little choice for vegetarians. I was amazed to see starter and main course items shuffled around on the menu, which made it difficult to choose. We asked several questions but received poor help.

Our neighbour ordered cajun chicken, which was a starter, as a main course and complained when the plate was collected that it was way too fatty and had no cajun taste at all. The waitress was not bothered or interested at all.

My wife had the veggie breakfast and she was very happy with it, but should this be the best veggie option?

The desert choice was limited and I did ask if the lunchtime crumble was available. I ordered this and it was the saving item of my night - it was great.

We did not receive a bill at the table and realised the waitress had gone home. At the bar we were given a bill and when we started to look through it felt uncomfortable as the landlord asked if we wanted him to go through it. We paid and left. We still feel that the drinks were charged wrongly but what's in a few pounds?

At no time were we asked if our meal was okay and felt throughout that we were outsiders and an incovenience. Not a good customer experience.

5  Thank Simon M
Reviewed 4 July 2017

I have been going to the Cross Keys for a number of years and it has been consistently good. Beer is available from their own brewery, which makes it interesting for beer lovers and the food is generally excellent.

1  Thank ColinFergusson
Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

Had another be awesome meal but this time with my daughter & 2 grandchildren who loved the smaller portions of the adults meals. Plenty of fresh vegetables were on offer and my youngest granddaughter loved the squeaky green beans practically eating them all to herself
It was a beautiful day and were tempted to eat outside but decided for the cooler interior of the pub.
We were again served efficiently and fast even though it was quite busy and as usual service with a smile
Thank you hopefully see you next month

2  Thank miamunchkin
Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

Never ceases to disappoint in this lovely little pub!! Food once again was amazing and not your average 'pub grub' even at lunchtime! Everything is cooked from scratch so it does take a teeny bit longer but trust me it's well worth the wait.
My husband is slowly working his way through all the Mallard beers so each time we go I end up driving.
A word of advice make sure you don't have any breakfast as the portions are ample and you also have to try the puds
So if you want to have a gorgeous home cooked meal with great beer, lovely bar staff and peaceful surroundings give it a go! I can 100% recommend!!

2  Thank gordon s