“Amazing Food”

Price range: US$22 - US$26
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled in a unique position amongst the beautiful established gardens of Pialligo plant farm, the quaint character filled, fully restored 1930's cottage offers a unique dining location close to the Canberra CBD. The venue is only minutes from Canberra International Airport as well as the boutique shopping precincts of Kingston and Manuka and has ample parking. Owner and chef John Leverink leads a dynamic, creative kitchen and restaurant team to create a memorable dining experience for all occasions. Creative culinary fine food without the formality, local sourced produce and an award winning wine list come together to make Pod Food one of Canberra's hidden culinary gems.
Reviewed 3 February 2018

The staff at Pod Food were knowledgeable and friendly and extremely professional. the food was divine. My husband and I were fortunate enough to be gifted a 5 course degustation dinner for 2. We went in February and sat outside on the patio surrounded by a beautiful garden. It was slightly chilly but the heater was put on so it was very cosy. The food was different and so very tasty. It is now my favourite restaurant in Canberra.

Reviewed 28 January 2018

This was a pleasant day for a lunch with friends on a very hot day. Normally we would prefer to sit outside under the shade trees, but given the heat we gratefully accepted a table inside with air conditioning. I was disappointed with the banana prawns for entrée having asked about the dish and being advised that it had several large prawns it came with 3 very small shrimp and not much else on the plate. I had the charred beef rump for mains and was told I could have it either medium rare or well done and nothing in between which I felt was quite odd. Fortunately I like my beef closer to well done than rare so I was covered. Like the entrée, I felt there wasn't much on the plate when it arrived. The desserts were the best of the 3 courses and I enjoyed the mango magnum which was a tiny home made version of the commercial ice cream on a stick. My husband also enjoyed his doughnuts. Unfortunately he specifically asked for the dish without the nuts but they arrived with a large dollop in the bowl which he had to eat around. Service was friendly but the waitress didn't seem to have a good understanding of the menu and didn't check that the kitchen hadn't made the adjustments as requested. Overall a disappointing experience for an award winning restaurant and given the price I didn't feel there was enough that I enjoyed about it to give them a second chance. A pity because it's in a very nice location particularly in summer.

Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

My colleagues and I visited Pod Food for a work lunch and had a wonderful time. All of the food was beautiful and they catered for dietary requirements wonderfully. The staff were so friendly and knowledgeable. I will be back!!

Reviewed 1 January 2018

This was our first time at POD and despite lovely service and generally nice ambience we were very disappointed with the food. As vegetarians we were told we'd be well catered for. However, the set menu was both odd and unimpressive. The initial snacks on arrival were OK, but lacked anything special and included a bizarre 'crisp sandwich'. Crisps again appeared dotted on the starter which was mainly comprised of a totally weird combo of sweet potato noodles and a runny egg, with absolutely nothing tying the dish together flavour-wise. i wondered if anyone cooking had ever tried it, it was so bad. Then deep fried cheese for the mains, again with nothing really tying together the flavour and texture with the carrots and kale it came with. Desert was good - best part of the meal - but by then we were just contemplating wryly how such a poor meal would cost us $80/head. We left a little hungry and won't be back again.

1  Thank sofiifilina
Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

Six of us had a terrific evening at Podfood last night.
Champagne and canapés were served in the courtyard which was an excellent indication of what was to come.
Five courses followed, not rushed and the service was exceptional.
The first course was Fremantle octopus with anchovy/cucumber/grape and labrah.
Beautifully presented and delicious as were
the next three courses of duck ham, pork loin and grain fed beef rump.
Dessert was rhubarb waffle/nectarine/peach and tarragon sorbet/mango which was stunningly presented and delicious.
This restaurant is a gem.