“Enjoyable Stay”

Ranked #17 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Enjoyable Stay”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Enjoyable stay, room was fantastic. Gym and restaurant on the premises. Service by reception, upon arrival, was excellent; was given a map upon arrival and shown where the supermarkets, shops etc. were, and how to get there. Also very helpful with providing information i.e. bus timetable for bus to airport etc. Housekeeping did a very good job. Location is fantastic, very close to attractions, Canberra Centre, Casino, Hellenic Club and many coffee shops, bars and restaurants. Bus stop right outside property, which makes it easy to catch tour bus to see attractions, i.e. Parliament House, The Mint, Museums etc, and bus stop for bus to airport only five minute walk. Was well looked after.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank NickiP425
Sally P, Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Many thanks for your review and positive comments about Mantra on Northbourne. I can assure you that we will be sharing the review with our team and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards

Sally Phipps

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
NSW
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I have stayed in this Mantra twice in the last two years. I love Mantra, and generally choose to stay with them when I travel domestically. Mantra Northbourne is great in terms of its location. It's within walking distance to Canberra Centre, and quite a few nice eat-out about. But the rooms are a bit dated, and quite up to the standard I was after. I was there last year for the Paris Arts exhibition and this year for the Renaissance exhibition. Booked one-bedroom both times, and the difference from last year to this year is obvious. There is nothing hugely wrong about it, but it just looks a bit dull and may require a face lift.
About reservation: Despite the fact that I like Mantra, I hate their reservation centre. Very unhelpful, and the cancellation policy is hidious. I always booked through booking.com or wotif.com and get much better deals.
About car park: I think maybe Canberra is quieter during the weekend than weekdays. We never had issues with getting a car park. It is first come first served. And I always wonder whether we'll still get parking on return every time we drive out. hmm...
Breakfast: very average. sausage and baked beans, scramble eggs, bacons. It's all right if you are too lazy to walk 2 mins to McDonald's next door. Much better value there I would say.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SOONSW
Sally P, Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Many thanks for your review, your feedback is certainly appreciated along with your positive comments about the Mantra brand. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon and turn a good experience into a great one.

Sally
nsw, australia
Reviewed 14 February 2012

don't know how this hotel gets a 4 star rating with this kind of parking arrangement. when i arrived about 8 pm on a Saturday night (prebooked and pre-paid) I was (un)helpfully told by the receptionist that there was no parking available as it had all been taken by guests attending a function in the restaurant.I would have to drive around the back streets of canberra at night, a woman on my own, and find a spot somewhere.
When i pointed out I hadn't been to canberra before she (un)helpfully waved her hand in the direction of the back of the hotel, not even a street map was offered. I ended up driving around for quite some time as the street parking was all full, and ended up somewhere 2 blocks away and had to make my way back in the dark. I was terrified. The recepionist also (un)helpfully told me the function guests would probably be gone by 11pm so I could go and get my car then and return it to the carpark! I'd noticed similar comments about lack of parking from other reviewers but didn't appreciate how bad it was. I guess if they can get their $12 for each space several times in a day management is happy but it is hopeless for overnight guests. Lugging bags for two blocks in the night, and thank goodness it wasn't raining, never again.

Yes the rooms are dated, it's noisy, bathroom mouldy, at least no fire alarms for us. Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else. I won't be back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank mrsfefe
Sally P, Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Many thanks for your review as we do certainly appreciate feedback, both positive and constructive. Although disppointing to hear of your experience, I would like to speak with you personally about it, as although our car park can get full at peak times, this particular weekend was an extreme one, with the Multi Cultural festival being held in the city centre. This in turn caused serious parking issues around the city fringes, however, we are certainly making improvements on how we communicate this going forward.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 February 2012

It was a spur of the moment decision to visit Canberra for the weekend(cricket washout).
We stopped at the Canberra Information Centre and ask if they have any accommodation specials. They booked us into the Mantra at 1030 (very good rate plus an upgrade) and we were in the room by 1100.
The Mantra is very close to all the city attractions and shops.
There fitness centre and pool are OK for a quick workout.
We didn't need to eat all day after the great breakfast.
We are looking forward to returning next month.

Room Tip: Drop into the Canberra Information Centre and ask if they have any accommodation specials. Bus stop...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Sally P, Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Many thanks for your positive comments and taking the time to post feedback on Trip Advisor. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our accommodation and facilities here at Mantra on Northbourne and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kind regards

Operations Manager
Mantra on Northbourne
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 February 2012

we recently took a trip to the ACT Canberra and forgot how quiet it was especially on the week end ,very clean and welcoming place ,looked at Parliment house and surrounds , tent city leaves wondering what all the fuss is about but thats only me. Went to dinner at a fabulous Italian restuarant called Belle Avista in Belconnen ,traditional food at reasonable price . Got lost returning home ,if i had kept going the wrong way would have ended up in Melbourne not Sydney. For a good week end try it

Room Tip: ask for room with balcony
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank vince s
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay.
I'm happy to hear that you had a wonderful time in Canberra and enjopyed your stay with us at the Mantra on Northbourne!
We hope to welcome you back when you're next in Canberra!

Andrew Lockie