“Oh man, when can we go again!”
Review of Black Fire

Black Fire
Ranked #7 of 1,468 Restaurants in Canberra
Price range: US$4 - US$31
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Black Fire, "Fuego Nero" is a fiercely individualistic Spanish and Mediterranean cuisine restaurant. We prepare delicious imaginative dishes with an exciting wondrous presentation to bring to your table our food, our taste, our culture, our love for cooking. The meats, seafood and vegetables are rustically cooked through our open fire roast, the wood fire oven and the charcoal grill
Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

First, I cant say enough about how welcoming and friendly the staff were, we literally closed the place down and did not feel rushed at all.

Second and most importantly, the food...man...we did the chef's selection and I'm still full two days later. It's not just about quantity but the quality was superb. Looking forward to going back and cannot wait to bring all my visiting guests here.

Definitely a must eat in Canberra!

5  Thank mujergato

Reviewed 2 December 2017

We visited with friends who are locals . We opted for the ‘house menu’ - great value and the food was lovely . A variety of dishes served at just the right pace to please all and you certain wont go home hungry !!! Jamon, tuna and suckling pig were amongst the dishes served . wines were very reasonable too
Would definitely go back on our next visit

5  Thank SGM475
Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

I guess this review reflects the recent, excellent experiences I’ve had with similar restaurants in other locales; I was hoping my “local” might be punching at a similar level but, alas, I was disappointed.

There was an early sign of trouble in that the fire pit wasn’t burning. Maybe they’ve finished for the day, I thought...but it was lunchtime, on a Friday, at the beginning of the busy Christmas lunch season. Perhaps slow cooking of suckling lamb and pork is easier in an oven, but it’s much less flavorful. And thus was the case.

Our empanada starter had a smoked pork flavour but little else; the accompanying aioli was very bland. Her Carpentaria king prawns were judge pretty good, but it was the lamb and sides of roast potatoes (“wood fire..rosemary and thyme infused”) and sautéed greens that totally lacked any character. The base ingredients are excellent quality but the execution lacked any sense of the open wood fire roasting flavours I expected. The accompanying roasted garlic and rosemary condiment was a bland white sauce, perhaps the same as that that accompanied the empanadas.

I don’t know what the problem was: Black Fire has done better; it has all the ingredients and capability to delivery succulent wood-fired smokey flavours — subtle but tasty — but they just weren’t there. Such a disappointment!

3  Thank timboc
Reviewed 29 November 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed a beautiful meal here, steak was perfect, sides were perfect too. Only think we found odd was the cold sauces for the steak. We would of preferred a creamy hot sauce for the steak.
Staff were really accommodating and friendly.

4  Thank Nicolatte18
Reviewed 28 November 2017

We went here to celebrate our anniversary. The restaurant was full on a Friday night, with no reservation, we weren't expecting to be served.
The staff were friendly and accommodating. We were seated after a 15 minute wait, which wasn't too bad.
Starting with chorizo and morcilla dishes, we were impressed and couldn't wait for our mains. I ordered the suckling lamb and my partner, the grilled wagyu. The lamb was soft and generous serving which I couldn't finish!
Overall our dinner experience was excellent, the atmosphere of the restaurant was great and decorated well.
Will come visit again when we're in the area.

5  Thank LysT80