“Shots but no shot glass”
Review of Excelsior Hotel

Excelsior Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sydney
Excelsior Hotel
Ranked #37 of 57 Sydney B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 August 2016

On our recent crawl down Foveaux Street we stopped off at the hotel for a quick drink or 2. Started with a Sailor Jerry's, dry & lime, plus a shot of 1800 tequila. My friends enjoyed similar plus the local made Polamade (lemon based with tequila mix - spelling might wrong). The bar staff were friendly and chatty. Funny thing was they have a tequila bar but no shot glasses. No extra in the glass though, still the right measure.
Next time we might stop and eat some of that Mexican in the El Loco restaurant.
Recommend stopping by.

Room Tip: This is not a accommodation hotel but a pub
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 July 2016 via mobile

I didn't have what I perceived to be the best experience here. I'll try to keep things factual and let you make your own judgements. I attended on a Thursday night recently. It wasn't that busy in the grand scheme of things. I ordered dinner at 18.10 along with a drink. Bar staff were pleasant and courteous. At 18.50 , still waiting but one of the waiting staff picked up things were amiss and said he would check. 18. 55 I was advised that my dinner was being put through and I was offered an apology. At 19.00 my food arrived again with an apology. I was attending sporting event, and this was evident by the way I was dressed and missed a portion of the game as a result. I thank the young man who picked up things were not right as without his intuition I would clearly not have been fed. I note the bar had a nice selection to choose from and my white rabbit dark on tap was cool and refreshing. The food was ok, but not worth a 50 minute wait when I clearly had to be somewhere. My suggestion is that you can go there for a drink quite comfortably, but go elsewhere for dinner first.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 May 2016

Now this place is really, really, cool. Not only is it a pub but it is also a Mexican restaurant, and quite a colourful one at that. Okay, I only came here for a drink (and am kicking myself that I didn't actually have a burrito - oh well, maybe next time), but I have to say that I love this place. Of course the beer of choice is a Corona, but they have a decent selection of other beers as well. I have to say that this place is really, really cool, and I'm definitely going to have to come back here again sometime for a meal.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 February 2015

Popped in here on the way back from the Rugby yesterday. We stayed for a few ales as they were cheap and the glasses (dimpled half pints) were really cold. For Surry Hills where Coopers and Squires cost nearly $7 a Schooner this was pleasant relief. The food, provided by El Loco looked great at great prices. We had already eaten, however we all promised ourselves to eat here at the next game. The decor in the corner bar is Olde Sydney meets Cancun.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank sydneysiderworldtour
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Stayed here for some time in 2009 whilst floating around Australia backpacking, friendly, clean, great food and great service. Always have specials on the board and all food is cooked fresh and in a timely manner. Excellent evening entertainment - live bands, mic nights . Only a short 10 min walk into Sydney. 5* Thanks for a fab time :) Merry Christmas

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo