“First Impressions - Poor” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Park Hyatt Sydney

Park Hyatt Sydney
Ranked #5 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“First Impressions - Poor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

[Whilst my personal experience may not reflect the hotel greatly, please bear in mind that should the day have been seamless as it could potentially be, this hotel could be the best place I’ve stayed within Sydney]

This hotel was booked on behalf of my uncle due to the fact that he wanted to surprise me for my birthday and give me a hotel room that I could’ve shared with my partner.

The manner in which he called the reservations desk, he was able to secure a room and have everything pre-paid in advance and since he was affiliated with a loyalty programme of the Hyatt hotel chain, his details were stored in the system. The most important thing to note was that he noted my name down on the reservation.

On the day of arrival, I had arrived with my partner and was expecting to have a seamless check in upon verification of my identity and that my uncle had given permission; unfortunately this was not the case.

Because reservations hadn’t put my name down as repeatedly requested, I had to wait outside the lobby (apparently the lobby is for ‘genuine’ guests and I was asked to leave) for an hour or so whilst my uncle travelled from one side of Sydney to the other in order to finally check us in.

After a lengthy wait, we were finally in the room and the amnesties were astonishing. The marble floor bathrooms were impressive and the room itself, though small, was adequate enough for our needs.

However, we did ask for a Double/King bed and instead, we were allocated to a two twin beds. We went back to the front desk and because of the peak season, they were unable to adhere to the request.

We wanted to enjoy the swimming facilities but because we checked in late and apparently there wasn’t sufficient staffs, the pool was subsequently closed so that is another facility that were unable to enjoy.

Whilst the location was superb, we were allocated in a room that the balcony overlooked underneath the Harbour Bridge. I guess we did ask for a Harbour Bridge view.

Service upon check in, whilst was out of our control, was unsatisfactory especially when they did request for me to leave the lobby whilst I waited for my uncle … in the rain!

First impressions unfortunately do last and I left this hotel with great disappointment as to my experience.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
19 Thank marvs000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Very friendly staff and fantastic position, a little expensive but overall ... no complaints, please try it ... you wont be disappointed....

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Bianca S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

You can't beat the location of the Park Hyatt Sydney. It is in the heart of everything Sydney. We flew into Sydney from the US and stayed at another hotel for a couple days then explored the rest of Australia. Once we saw the Park Hyatt sitting under the bridge we agreed we needed to stay there on our last night in Australia, so the last night we stayed here and were not disappointed at all.

The service was great, the location and views were wonderful. It definitely needed a renovation but was still very clean (They were closing later in the month to do a full reno). I am excited to go back and even though the price is way higher than anywhere else in town I would stay here again. It's worth the experience.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Prepwade
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

I Stayed here for two days for a conference . The staff was helpful and hospitable and always ready to help.The rooms are large and very comfortable.The breakfast in the Park Hyatt Sydney was one of the best I have had. It just feels like home. We will come back again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank rickie g
Clarksville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

I walked into my room to see a backdrop of the Sydney Opera House--it was stunning. I have ot admit it was hard to leave my room as I just wanted to sit on my balcony and watch the boats pass by in front of the opera house. The rooms are large and very comfortable. The staff was excellent.

I don't care for first floor rooms--the first room I was assigned opened out onto a very nice courtyard, but ultimately I asked to be moved to something on a higher floor. They accomodated my request immediately.

Food was alright and location is a little removed from the heart of downtown, but still easily walkable (Circular Quay is right there).

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business